Same TDK DL+R 8X disks - different results?

vbimport

I bought 20 TDK DL disks a month or so ago and loved them. Burning movies on a Optiarc AD-7200A using Nero 9 with DVD-ROM booktype and playing them on a SONY DVP-NS45P. Not a coaster in the bunch. Burn 'em, put them on the SONY and watch them.
After going through that bunch I saw another deal and bought 20 more TDKs. No coasters, burn them on the same burner using Nero. I can play them on a PC but now when I put the new ones on the SONY it goes forever saying ‘loading’ and then says ‘can’t play this disk’. Does that make sense?

This is why we recommend Verbatim for DL disks. Results with most anything else is a crapshoot, even with a drive like your Optiarc which is known as a good burner for DL media.

Have you checked to see if these TDK’s are using the same mid code as the previous ones? Use DVDIdentifier to find the mid code…or ImgBurn in Discover mode.

here’s the two outputs from dvd identifier. I don’t see any difference. do you?
computers drive me nuts.

disk that doesn’t play on sony

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-S04-066]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [S04]
Product Revision : [066]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

disk that does.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-S04-066]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [S04]
Product Revision : [066]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

They are the same mid code, but apparently not the same batch. If you want more information about them you can look at the virtually invisible numbers on the inner ring of the dvds themselves. The guys in the Blank Media forum may be able to tell you which factories they came from…but that is esoteric information that won’t help you in any way on playback.

Riteks vary in quality. That is just a fact.

If you want more consistent results with DL media switch to Verbatim brand, and if you buy them in local stores, try to get the ones made in Singapore. They can be found at Best Buy and Office Max locally. Online you can order from lots of places, like rima.com and supermediastore.com, but it isn’t possible to choose country of origin buying online.

What burn speed were you using?

Also you might want to make sure HDD use is minimal while burning, ie. turn off any file sharing.

Just found this at meritline:

http://www.meritline.com/jvc-dl-dvd-r-8x-dual-layer-dl-photo-grade-gold-lacquer-branded-vdr85hgs10---p-39443.aspx?source=fghdac

JVC (VD-R85HGS10) DL DVD-R 8X Dual Layer (DL) Photo Grade
9.88 for 10. It also says:

Effective Oct 2009: Taiyo Yuden Brand Name Has Formally Changed to JVC.

Taiyo Yuden has a good name. What do you think of this deal?
Does it matter if it’s -R or +R to play on a SONY if I set book type to DVD-ROM?

I also looked at newegg and found these verbatim for $26 shipped:

Verbatim 8.5GB 2.4X DVD+R DL 20 Packs Cake Box Branded Disc Model 95310

thx

also, I originally burned at 8x but then tried one at 4x with same result. That’s the lowest Nero 9 let me go to. Nero’s the only thing running.

Don’t get the JVC DL-R disks. They aren’t as good a quality as the Verbatim +R DL disks, and the TY’s are not well supported in the firmware of most drives.

You cannot bitset -R disks by the way. Only +R disks can have the booktype changed to DVDRom.

Buy Verbatim DL disks, either the 2.4x-6x or 8x disks will work in your Optiarc.

And I very much prefer using a free burning program called ImgBurn for DL burns. It will set the layer break correctly, though that particular problem doesn’t seem to be affecting you here.

1. What version firmware is your AD-7200A using? You should be on version 1.09.

2. Are you using Liggy’s bitsetting versions of the firmware? For best compatibility with DVD players, DVD+R DL media needs to be bitset so that it reads as DVD-ROM.

3. Make sure and burn RITEK S04 no faster than 4x. Although it’s rated at 8x, it doesn’t burn as well at 8x as it does at 4x.

thanks for all your good advice.

one last question. after trying 123dvd and dvd43 I settled on dvd decrypter to rip dvds. are there better rippers?
thx again.

dvdfab has a free version Link, anydvd is great too but thats not free.