Same percentage...different quality?

I’ve been using DVDFab Platinum for a year or so and I think the product is fabulous! One question though, why is it sometimes when I copy a movie at say 56%, and then copy another movie at the SAME exact percentage, the quality differs dramatically. I know at that low of a percentage I should probably use a DL disk, but sometimes the quality is good enough. If DVDFab is compressing or encoding at the same percentage then shouldn’t 2 DVDs end up identical in quality? :confused:

[QUOTE=MrStrode;1935161]I’ve been using DVDFab Platinum for a year or so and I think the product is fabulous! One question though, why is it sometimes when I copy a movie at say 56%, and then copy another movie at the SAME exact percentage, the quality differs dramatically. I know at that low of a percentage I should probably use a DL disk, but sometimes the quality is good enough. If DVDFab is compressing or encoding at the same percentage then shouldn’t 2 DVDs end up identical in quality? :confused:[/QUOTE]

It maybe due to the shape the DVD is in that you are copying from…if the disc is in great shape then you will get a good quality picture…if it is in fair to poor shape then you willget a lower quality picture

Just my .02 cents

Have you tried to copy just the movie? This can increase quality too buy not coping all the extra features!

Thanx StormJumper for your input…both DVDs can be brand new, just not the same movie, so there both in great shape…hmmm…I cant figure it out.

please read this post and check the link provided in the post.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1894966-post172.html

troy

[QUOTE=THE C.;1935197]Have you tried to copy just the movie? This can increase quality too buy not coping all the extra features![/QUOTE]

I understand that, and have also done that before, but im just talking about the times I copy full disk. Thanx just the same for your input THE C.

[QUOTE=troy512;1935199]please read this post and check the link provided in the post.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1894966-post172.html

troy[/QUOTE]

THANX so much troy512…that answered my question to the T. I apologize for not researching better and finding that post myself.
Thanx again!!

the answer to your question, in one word, is BITRATE
read & comprehend this thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f62/percentage-acceptable-1-disc-backup-121774/

I don’t think DVD shape is the issue - all mine are the same round shape :slight_smile:
DVD is a digital storage medium, so as long as it can be played without read errors you are getting 100% of what was pressed onto the DVD. a DVD won’t wear out gradually like an analog VHS tape.

If you compare a modern high budget movie DVD with lets say a reissued 60s TV series , there will be a huge quality difference, and that’s largely due to the bitrate of the original recordings. A DVD can only be as good as the original source, & if you compress something that was poor qauality to begin with it can only look worse.

NO problem. Maybe try an external ifyou haven’t already? Good luck.

Even a New DVD can have defects that will cause issues during playback :cool:

[QUOTE=MrStrode;1935161]I’ve been using DVDFab Platinum for a year or so and I think the product is fabulous! One question though, why is it sometimes when I copy a movie at say 56%, and then copy another movie at the SAME exact percentage, the quality differs dramatically. I know at that low of a percentage I should probably use a DL disk, but sometimes the quality is good enough. If DVDFab is compressing or encoding at the same percentage then shouldn’t 2 DVDs end up identical in quality? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I think everyone’s possibly getting the wrong end of the stick here. :slight_smile:

To answer your question, it depends on how optimised the compression on the original disc already is.

If there’s plenty of scope to compress further then quite a large percentage of compression can produce relatively good results.

If the disc is already near the limits i.e. low bitrate and already highly compressed then sometimes even a small additional compression can produce noticeably inferior results.

So in other words one disc compressed to 56% can look brilliant another also compressed to the same percentage can be appalling.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Has everyone posting bothered to read Troy’s reply and link? (it’s been posted in this thread twice now)… cuz he nailed it. It’s worth the read, particularly AZ’s comments.

[QUOTE=maineman;1935324]Has everyone posting bothered to read Troy’s reply and link? (it’s been posted in this thread twice now)… cuz he nailed it. It’s worth the read, particularly AZ’s comments.[/QUOTE]

Good point and you’re right Troy is spot on.

I came in late to this thread and assumed that because of all the other posts, the question mustn’t have been answered.

Guilty as charged I’m afraid. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]