Same ISO file, different burns

Hi folks!

I am completely newbie with the optical drives stuff, so I apologize in advance.

I have burnt a Windows 10 ISO file into a blank DVD, under a Windows 10 PC and an internal Blu-Ray burner (Pioneer BDR-212EBK) with the Windows’ built in tool for ISO DVD burn. Burning took quite a lot of time, like 25 min.

I have burnt the same Windows 10 ISO file under a Mac with an external DVD burner, also with the MacOS built in tool, and this time process has taken 20 minutes.

Does anybody know why an internal optical drive, which is technically faster and supposedly more reliable, burns the same exact ISO file slower than an external optical drive?? Also, and this I found VERY WEIRD, the visible “drawing” in the DVDs surface (you know, the written sectors) look completely different in the Windows burnt DVD and the Mac’s one: the Mac’s one looks normal, while the PC’s one looks… like a few rings superposed.

I would really appreciate any comment. Can the internal optical drive of the PC be faulty or have been tampered to behave strangely? It is brand new. A million thanks in advance!

Btw blank DVDs used are the same brand and model (Verbatim).

How long it takes depends on the write speed you select. The visible rings happen due to write strategies and “walking OPC”. There’s a firmware update available for the 212E/M model (1.01), if your writer is not on that version, you should update.

1 Like

Thanks Oinker for your answer! Selected burning speed wasn’t an option in the built-in ISO burner tool of Windows 10, so I couldn’t say which speed it was… I assumed that it would have been the maximum speed available, but maybe it wasn’t.

Thanks for the visible rings explanation, I had absolutely no idea about this!

And as for the firmware update, yeah I looked into the official Pioneer site (which looks a little of the nineties by the way!) and saw the 1.01 update. In another post I asked if there is a way to manually check the legimity of the downloaded update exe file (checksum or other method), or if the drive itself only admits “signed” update files in order to allow the firmware update. Do you have any idea about this?

Thanks a million @Oinker!!

I’ve never used the Win10 ISO burner, they probably use some lower write speed to avoid conflicts with media and writers. Did the 25 and 20 mins include verification?

I’ve not seen any MD5/SHA etc. checksums for the firmware files from Pioneer, the flasher uses some checksum verification for sure to avoid flashing the wrong or a corrupt firmware.

1 Like

Thanks a million @Oinker.

Good to hear that the Pioneer drive itself might do some kind of file verification to avoid flashing a corrupt/tampered firmware.

The burning with the Windows tool included verification, though as said, didn’t specify the writing speed. The Mac one included verification too, but the writing speed was specified (8x). The Windows 10 ISO file is around 5Gb, btw.

Cheers!