Salvaging motherboards

vbimport

Well, I have a couple of Asus P4PE-X boards and they are rather nice.

They’ve been playing up and freeze all the time. I have concluded that it is definitely hardware and not another component or software. It can’t be BIOS because the the BIOS is auto update or something, at least with the P4 that I could use in one of them.

Anyway, ATM these boards are certainly useless. I have no need for them if they don’t work properly.

But before I throw them out, I want to put it to CD Freaks: is there anything that I could try that might fix them?

Half of me wants to say “NO” don’t bother LOL, since we’re all familiar with your troubleshooting skills :stuck_out_tongue: . The other half says sure anythings possible. I’d suggest you do some googling and see if others have had problems with that board. There aren’t many easy thing to replace on a MB, capacitors are one.

groovemeister

I would have to say NO at this point ,looking over your other post on these MOBO and the problems you have been having.

bean55

LOL, true.

Well things can’t get any worse. If I used a mobo diagnostic tool would it be possible to pinpoint problems or are we talking about guessing what’s wrong with them?

I mean, what can cause a mobo to keep freezing up if the prob is on the mobo itself?

Like I was saying capacitors are a big culprite, take a look at some pics HERE

Search for “bad capacitors” on the web for more examples. Basically they can buldge on the top, they can leak some syrupy stuff.

Use a good amount of light so that you can see with good detail, magnifying glass can help.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2022683]Like I was saying capacitors are a big culprite, take a look at some pics HERE

Search for “bad capacitors” on the web for more examples. Basically they can buldge on the top, they can leak some syrupy stuff.

Use a good amount of light so that you can see with good detail, magnifying glass can help.[/QUOTE]

Capacitors are the biggest issue,I have heard of people taking aout the bad and soldiering in new ones. The ones that bulge at the top are easier to spot by feeling them, you can diffentely tell just by running your finger or thumb over the top.

bean55

Thanks. So if there are no bad caps then there’s no hope of finding the problem easily?

What causes a bad cap? My money’s on electrical damage to the board due to a RAM stick - a friend of mine who works with PCs said it is possible for RAM to permanently damage boards and it’s the only thing common to 3 boards that have all gone bad - soon after the RAM has been put in.

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2022741]Thanks. So if there are no bad caps then there’s no hope of finding the problem easily?

What causes a bad cap? My money’s on electrical damage to the board due to a RAM stick - a friend of mine who works with PCs said it is possible for RAM to permanently damage boards and it’s the only thing common to 3 boards that have all gone bad - soon after the RAM has been put in.[/QUOTE]

Bad caps are usually just poor quality, although overheating and over voltage also is a problem.
I have repaired several mobo’s by replacing the cap’s but if you are not good with a soldering iron don’t do it.
The old capacitors can be a pig to remove due to the multilayer design of some of the boards. Also you should use good quality components as replacements, if you don’t you will be doing it all over again.

Well looking at the boards, all of the caps are perfect…

If all the caps look perfect , then it can get a lot tougher to find what the problem is.
I myself haveing a limited amount of time would chalk it up to experience and move on.
Have you googled it to find anything ?
If the common thread here is the same ram was used i would start there.

bean55

Look this over it’s for a asus p4pe board

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=2066908

and here
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/3879/

bean55

Thanks for the links - as I thought, either a dodgy RAM stick or just mystery failing due to this board.