SalesTax Man Cometh for New Egg Buyers In New York

vbimport

From the horses mouth (New Egg) has just been shaken down by New York State for collecting New York State sales tax even though they DO NOT have offices in New York State or sell from New York State (previous legal precedent for collecting sales tax).

Keep this in mind you will pay an average of 8.62% MORE on goods bought and shipped FROM AN OUT OF STATE ONLINE STORE NEW EGG. Make this a factor in your decision to buy goods from New Egg!!! If New Egg chooses to roll over & not fight this, they will be at a competitive disadvantage to those who ignore or fight this tooth & nail.
Here is a copy of the Email I just received:
Important Message to Our New York Customers

May 23, 2008

Dear Valued Newegg Customer,

As a result of recent changes in the State of New York Tax Law requiring
certain out-of-state retailers to collect and remit sales taxes to the
State of New York, we regrettably inform you that Newegg.com must begin
collecting applicable state and local sales tax for all orders shipped
to New York addresses on or after June 1, 2008.

Qualified business customers can continue to use the Newegg.com Sales
Tax Exempt Form <http://www.newegg.com/Info/ResellerCertificate.aspx> .

We value our relationship with you and all of our New York customers. We
apologize for any inconvenience caused by this change in New York law
and assure you that we will continue to work hard to offer you the best
prices, fastest shipping and award winning customer service you deserve.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with the premier online
shopping experience for all of your IT and Consumer Electronics needs.

Sincerely,

Bernard Luthi

Company Spokesperson and
Vice President of Merchandising

Quite frankly, if they valued non-resale customers they would not have rolled over & would have fought this. New egg isn’t that small a company that they couldn’t have fought this, IMO.

Next thing you know, California buyers will have to start paying tax on purchases from BUYDIG, Adorama, and BH. Thank our greedy politicians.:(:a:Z

I’ve been having to pay taxes on goods bought from newegg for the past 2 or 3 years here
in Tennessee even though most of my orders ship from California or New Jersey. They have
a small warehouse here in Tenn. over in Memphis so since they built that there I’ve had to
pay Tenn. State and local taxes at a rate of 9.25% on top of any shipping charges which
really sucks. :sad:

Newegg should tell the State of New York to go to hell! :a

[quote=getit29;2065280]I’ve been having to pay taxes on goods bought from newegg for the past 2 or 3 years here
in Tennessee even though most of my orders ship from California or New Jersey. They have
a small warehouse here in Tenn. over in Memphis so since they built that there I’ve had to
pay Tenn. State and local taxes at a rate of 9.25% on top of any shipping charges which
really sucks. :sad:[/quote]
Same here in NJ, they have a warehouse about 5 miles from my house in South River. But its not small, its about 50,000 sq ft. All fenced in.:cool:

Washington sales tax is coming soon…And we have over 360 different local sales tax rates!

I’m sorry to say that newegg is going to loose a good amount of my business due to this move by NY.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2065878]I’m sorry to say that newegg is going to loose a good amount of my business due to this move by NY.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm…that is what I said when they started charging me the State and local sales tax
but after checking around the Internet at other etailer sites I found even with the sales
tax plus shipping a lot of the stuff was still cheaper than other places. I probably still do
about 98-99% of my buying from newegg because some of the other places take they’re
sweet time about getting my order sent out to me. I tried a little experiment a while back
I placed an order with newegg and another identical order with an in State etailer located
less than 40 miles from me and paid even more in price and for shipping with the local place
and guess who got the order to me the fastest and cheapest. Yep you guessed it newegg did
even though the newegg order shipped all the way from California it got here 3 days earlier than
the place right up the road from me did even though all items were in stock and ready to ship
within 24 Hr. from that place. :a Yeah some places may be a little bit cheaper but that is the
same kind of service you will get from them also “CRAPPY” especially if you get a DOA item or
something that dies on you after say 30 days. Most places will just say too bad send it back to
the Mfg. where as newegg has a full 1 year replacement on most things they sell and will replace
it without any squabble. :iagree: :clap:

Im definately pissed about NewEgg rolling over to New York regarding the sales tax… I hope that I can still get a good deal regardless…

[QUOTE=getit29;2065280]I’ve been having to pay taxes on goods bought from newegg for the past 2 or 3 years here
really sucks. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Same thing here

My brother lives in Nashville TN and whenever I put something im my cart at Newegg with my brother’s zip code the price goes up very much due to taxes . I ended up getting whatever I want from either B&M stores with coupons that would ommit taxes when applied or any other trusted site from pricegrabber that would charge no taxes with free shipping
Hell , even e-bay is much better these days :a

I would be willing to bet that sometime in the next two years you will find that congress will allow states to tax all items bought over the internet. The only problem with this is that without a computer program to monitor what is charged by state some sellers will just keep the tax.
I cannot blame the states but I hate to see it happen.

NYer’s already pay the highest taxes in the nation. This sucks ass. You can bet that NewEgg will see approximately 8% less of my business as a result, most likely more. After all, there’s still ZipZoomFly and Fry’s/Outpost. Don’t even get me started about taxes either. The average middle-class working American pays over 70% of their income in taxes. :a

JD

Is ChiefValue charging tax? If not NY residents could just order through them, since it’s basically the same company, same prices, same listings.

[QUOTE=sengar;2070974]Is ChiefValue charging tax? If not NY residents could just order through them, since it’s basically the same company, same prices, same listings.[/QUOTE]

Looks like NY isn’t on the list to have to pay the sales tax…yet!!! but just give them time and I bet they
will start charging it too if newegg is forced to collect NY tax.
Dam it, Tenn. is on their tax list too :a we have a bunch of dam money hungry politicians here in Tenn. that
is for sure, it seems we get hit with a new kind of tax or a higher tax every day or two around here. :sad:

No state more Tax hungry than Connecticut .

[QUOTE=samlar;2069439]I would be willing to bet that sometime in the next two years you will find that congress will allow states to tax all items bought over the internet.[/QUOTE]

This wouldn’t happen if Republicans controlled Congress. :cool:

Pelosi and Reid never met a tax they didn’t like.

No they would keep spending spending spending our money all over the world while telling us they are the only Godly party. They have already spent a trillion (million million ) on little bushes war and the got the money fro China. Our kids Kids kids will be paying for this.

NYS is among the states which has had an internet tax for years, (2004 I believe). This tax was ignored by most people. Now they are trying to force large internet retailers into collecting the tax for them. Now I have to calculate the real price of an item. The easy way is add 10%. Is the internet price plus 10% cheaper than the store price plus 10% plus the price of gas? Hey they made it easier for me. Pataki (republlican) started this internet tax nonsense.

Bad News guys, Amazon jumped on the bandwagon…

Items Shipped to New York State
Effective June 1, 2008, Amazon.com LLC will begin collecting sales tax on items shipped to destinations within the State of New York as New York has enacted a new law requiring out-of-state sellers to collect and remit sales tax based on advertising. Amazon has filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of this provision. However, as required by the law, we must still begin collecting New York sales tax beginning on that date.

Please note that if you place an order prior to June 1, 2008, your Order Total may not include an estimate of New York sales taxes, but those taxes may still be charged if your order is readied for shipment on or after that date.

Im really pissed!!

[QUOTE=samlar;2071139]No they would keep spending spending spending our money all over the world while telling us they are the only Godly party. They have already spent a trillion (million million ) on little bushes war and the got the money fro China. Our kids Kids kids will be paying for this.[/QUOTE]

Do you think Democrats need a war as an excuse to tax the hell out of us? They both spend money like drunken sailors but the Democrats tax like drunken sailors too and they don’t need any reason to do it other than they can. You are right in that our kids will be paying for this. The “this” includes all the welfare, military, social programs etc. that have been promoted by BOTH sides. There is more than enough blame to go around. The only time I saw some promise regarding a balanced budget was when there was a conservatively motivated Republican controlled Congress and a Democrat president that was trying like hell to get re-elected by making himself look like a centrist.

What have the Democrats done the past 1.5 years to reduce spending?