Sales of Windows Phones decrease at constant rate, 57% down compared to year before

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Sales of Windows Phones decrease at constant rate, 57% down compared to year before[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/04/myce-nokia-lumia-520-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Phones running on Microsoft’s mobile operating systems Windows Phone or Windows Mobile saw a decline in sales of 57% compared to last year. Since 2014 the number of sold Lumia phones decreases at a constant rate.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/sales-of-windows-phones-decrease-at-constant-rate-57-down-compared-to-year-before-78492/](http://www.myce.com/news/sales-of-windows-phones-decrease-at-constant-rate-57-down-compared-to-year-before-78492/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

In the tablet market Microsoft has more success, its Surface tablets are selling well.
This has to be some kinda April Fools joke…selling well. But if compared to iPad, Android tablet it is selling just as worse like the Windows Phones. So looks like some one is drinking alot of koolaid here.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2767510]This has to be some kinda April Fools joke…selling well. But if compared to iPad, Android tablet it is selling just as worse like the Windows Phones. So looks like some one is drinking alot of koolaid here.[/QUOTE]

I noticed at Microcenter that the number of Windows tablets for sale are getting to be the same number as Android and iPad tablets combined. I think MS is taking a larger, and growing, chunk of the tablet market. IMO, the next big thing for smartphones is for them to take the place of a desktop, laptop, tablet through the use of docking stations. If this comes to pass then MS will be in a great position to take a larger piece of the smartphone market.

I think the writer here is getting confused, Microsoft didn’t sell 4.5m phones last year, they sold 4.5m the last 3 months of last year.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2767510]This has to be some kinda April Fools joke…selling well. But if compared to iPad, Android tablet it is selling just as worse like the Windows Phones. So looks like some one is drinking alot of koolaid here.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. The Surface pro is a full PC, and I can imagine people want that as it will be a way of just having one device for all.
Dock it to the keyboard and use it as a laptop, undock it and take the tablet with you. It gives you a tad more options than with just a mobile shell like iPad and Android.
Of course, it gets veeery expensive if you want it configured to replace your PC, but that is another story :iagree:

[QUOTE=UTR;2767513]I noticed at Microcenter that the number of Windows tablets for sale are getting to be the same number as Android and iPad tablets combined. I think MS is taking a larger, and growing, chunk of the tablet market. IMO, the next big thing for smartphones is for them to take the place of a desktop, laptop, tablet through the use of docking stations. If this comes to pass then MS will be in a great position to take a larger piece of the smartphone market.[/QUOTE]
I doubt it can replace a Desktop or Laptop for storage or power usage. Docking stations only work in one place the desktop move and need more power or network on the go and Laptop still will be there. Smart phone can’t truly replace a laptop for performance and usage and storage.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2767516]Not necessarily. The Surface pro is a full PC, and I can imagine people want that as it will be a way of just having one device for all.
Dock it to the keyboard and use it as a laptop, undock it and take the tablet with you. It gives you a tad more options than with just a mobile shell like iPad and Android.
Of course, it gets veeery expensive if you want it configured to replace your PC, but that is another story :iagree:[/QUOTE]That is true but then again if you need a true PC that one can truly customize surface will not be there. I myself like the true laptop where I can type on physical keyboard then the screen and should screen break those cost far more to repair assuming your model isn’t outdated by the time you need to fix it. Tablet has it’s niche but it will never fully take the place of a laptop with keyboard. So software or games will require dedicated graphics and surface with it’s restrictions will not be able to fulfill those needs. Upgrading a laptop and Desktop is far cheaper then a Surface especially if you have no access to the internal hardware. Or if you want to do your own repairs.

And the updated story about Surface BSOD already tells me it is not ready for prime time to overtake a Laptop.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2767521]That is true but then again if you need a true PC that one can truly customize surface will not be there. I myself like the true laptop where I can type on physical keyboard then the screen and should screen break those cost far more to repair assuming your model isn’t outdated by the time you need to fix it. Tablet has it’s niche but it will never fully take the place of a laptop with keyboard. So software or games will require dedicated graphics and surface with it’s restrictions will not be able to fulfill those needs. Upgrading a laptop and Desktop is far cheaper then a Surface especially if you have no access to the internal hardware. Or if you want to do your own repairs.

And the updated story about Surface BSOD already tells me it is not ready for prime time to overtake a Laptop.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your points and while the BSOD references the Surface 3, I too enjoy the good old laptop. If you look at the price-tag, it becomes clear right there that it is not ready to overtake a laptop.
It will in time though and by that time, I can imagine all operating systems will be available for touch and ready to install.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2767521]I doubt it can replace a Desktop or Laptop for storage or power usage. Docking stations only work in one place the desktop move and need more power or network on the go and Laptop still will be there. Smart phone can’t truly replace a laptop for performance and usage and storage.[/QUOTE]

The majority of people aren’t power users. A smartphone is more than enough computing power for the average user. It just takes the place of the case for a desktop setup. Motorola tried this a few years ago but, IMO, limitations of Android as a desktop OS hurt it. MS is set to really take advantage of this if they are smart enough to see the opportunity and act on it.

I had a play with Surface Pro 4, and although I wouldn’t buy one because I simply don’t need one, it was very impressive in terms of speed and usability. Great screen as well.

[QUOTE=Dee;2767525]I had a play with Surface Pro 4, and although I wouldn’t buy one because I simply don’t need one, it was very impressive in terms of speed and usability. Great screen as well.[/QUOTE] I loved my Surface Pro 3 before it got stolen in the hospital.:sad:

[QUOTE=UTR;2767524]The majority of people aren’t power users. A smartphone is more than enough computing power for the average user. It just takes the place of the case for a desktop setup. Motorola tried this a few years ago but, IMO, limitations of Android as a desktop OS hurt it. MS is set to really take advantage of this if they are smart enough to see the opportunity and act on it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is an interesting idea. A keyboard and Screen docking and I think you could be right, it would be an excellent idea for the casual computer user and indeed a change to move Microsoft up the mobile league. Another good idea is to make a tablet-dock or combined and so in turn docking the tablet to the keyboard for a true modular design.
Then again, what are they going to fuck up if doing anything of the above? … I will not even speculate…

Not just a Microsoft issue as the smart phone mania is in steep decline overall.

My smart phone is rotting in my desktop drawer (without sim) since years. This is just an expensive brand toy for wannabees :slight_smile:

My mobile is not smart but works perfectly :wink:

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2767574]Not just a Microsoft issue as the smart phone mania is in steep decline overall.

My smart phone is rotting in my desktop drawer (without sim) since years. This is just an expensive brand toy for wannabees :slight_smile:

My mobile is not smart but works perfectly ;)[/QUOTE]
Not sure what data that comes from but I do know State Side Smart Phone have reached a leveling out point. All the hype and new toy feel is gone they become standard now here. iPhone/iPad sales are level now so any new sales of those requires the older one be replaced not new accounts. Windows smart phone have always been on decline-due to lack of support from both MS and App Developers. MS poorly developed and market the phone and the O/S designed UI didn’t help either.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2767593]Not sure what data that comes from …[/QUOTE]

Handset fatigue!

With computing power more than sufficient, screen size and resolution optimized, battery life is decent and the devices are fairly durable, the smartphone frenzy appears to be hitting a wall. The only place I see where big improvements can be made to entice people to upgrade is improving their cameras and letting the device become multi-functional (i.e laptop, desktop, tablet processing cores) through use of docking stations. Heck, the connection could probably be done wirelessly.

I would spring for a smartphone with a good optical zoom, RAW file output and some good in-camera processing options. Asus has a ZenPhone Zoom that has gotten my interest.

[QUOTE=UTR;2767605]With computing power more than sufficient, screen size and resolution optimized, battery life is decent and the devices are fairly durable, the smartphone frenzy appears to be hitting a wall. The only place I see where big improvements can be made to entice people to upgrade is improving their cameras and letting the device become multi-functional (i.e laptop, desktop, tablet processing cores) through use of docking stations. Heck, the connection could probably be done wirelessly.[/QUOTE]Well this is the reason I have multiple laptops one for Gaming and one for everyday usage and Desktop/NAS for all my movies and data storage and main everyday computer usage. So I don’t limit my portability to just a smartphone. I like to have my freedom to choice my hardware type and what I want to do with them. That is me - I came from the age when the Internet was all TXT and DOS was king. I learned along the way not all tech is tecky…

[QUOTE=UTR;2767605]I would spring for a smartphone with a good optical zoom, RAW file output and some good in-camera processing options. Asus has a ZenPhone Zoom that has gotten my interest.[/QUOTE]I still have my SLR and a smartphone will never truly replace it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2767608]I still have my SLR and a smartphone will never truly replace it.[/QUOTE]

I have DSLRs and a mirrorless camera. I can’t carry them everywhere though. Smartphone cameras have improved a great amount over the years but the lens systems have not evolved much. I would go for a smartphone that had the ability to replace a decent P&S camera with a modest zoom range. As they say, the best camera you have is the one you carry with you. I always have a smartphone with me so most times it would be my best camera.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2767608]Well this is the reason I have multiple laptops one for Gaming and one for everyday usage and Desktop/NAS for all my movies and data storage and main everyday computer usage. So I don’t limit my portability to just a smartphone. I like to have my freedom to choice my hardware type and what I want to do with them. That is me - I came from the age when the Internet was all TXT and DOS was king. I learned along the way not all tech is tecky…[/QUOTE]

Just a comment, we think alike when it comes to splitting functions and have different computers for different work. I even have one for meetings which is a small laptop (Thinkpad X200) with a battery that lasts about 9 hours without charging running at full speed (I hate slowdowns).
I also totally agree that not all tech is techy and I recognize the terminal (CMD) to be less techy than Windows. Now go and tell that to a WIMP geek and he goes like ‘you mean that black window, right?’ :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2767639]Just a comment, we think alike when it comes to splitting functions and have different computers for different work. I even have one for meetings which is a small laptop (Thinkpad X200) with a battery that lasts about 9 hours without charging running at full speed (I hate slowdowns).
I also totally agree that not all tech is techy and I recognize the terminal (CMD) to be less techy than Windows. Now go and tell that to a WIMP geek and he goes like ‘you mean that black window, right?’ :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Yea that is me total freedom and not pinned Pun to one hardware lol… love the last line…heck I grew up in DOS/CMD before UI came standard. :wink:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2767657]Yea that is me total freedom and not pinned Pun to one hardware lol… love the last line…heck I grew up in DOS/CMD before UI came standard. ;)[/QUOTE]

I notice that my use of the word WIMP is not too common out there, so to clarify: [B]W[/B]indows [B]I[/B]cons [B]M[/B]enus and [B]P[/B]ointers.
That meaning of the word was more common back in the '90s and stuck in my vocabulary.