Safest, nicest, fastest way to label CDs

hey hey

dont know about you guys but this is a dream-come-true for me.

CD-CORE labels.

what an idea, fast, SAFE (safest there is), nice (nicer than my scribling thats for sure)

but maybe its only me…?

What’s wrong with a pen? :slight_smile:

Use a Sharpie or any water-based marker. Don’t use an oil-based marker.

What’s wrong with a pen?

my problem with a pen is that if i store my cds in black vallets (and most of them are black) and write on the core of the cd with black it is impossible to read it…

the other is that a sticker looks neat, and stuff…

i thought we are all freaks here… :rolleyes: in a way lol

Originally posted by JimHom
Use a Sharpie or any water-based marker. Don’t use an oil-based marker.

First time I’ve heard that. Everything I’ve read up until now says DON’T use a Sharpie (alcohol based), DO use an oil-based pen. The “CD Marking” pens I’ve seen say specifically that they’re non-alcohol based (they are water based). Alcohol will supposedly damage the disc.

Yeah, use a CD-marker pen (non-alcohol). If you can get them, Pilot is a nice pen-maker…

I’ve been using sharpies for years, never had a problem. I’ve also never heard of alcohol damaging CDs… however I do know some oil based products will damage plastic (not necessarily the polycarbonate used in CDs, but other plastics)…

My Pilot CD-pen was alcohol-based, as was my Compactor CD-pen. Odd, they never damaged anything. CDs have lasted for about 2 years now and counting!

I used Sharpies too, before I was warned against it. No damage yet, but it was also discs that had a labeling surface so it wasn’t right on the polycarb. I’ve used alcohol to remove labels and dirt from CDs before, but I always rinse them real well with clean water after. Maybe I should test a CD by leaving alcohol on it so see if it takes damage. (Sounds like a good use for a Barry Manilow CD. :smiley: )

Rinsing it after using alcohol is sort of a waste, all the alcohol will evaporate without a trace (assuming you’re using isopropyl or other pure alcohol, NOT RUBBING ALCOHOL).

I personally use 99.9% Propanol or Isopropyl, to clean CDs, other electronics, computer parts, etc.

You definitely don’t want to use any petroleum or oil based product with CDs or electronics. I really just think about styrofoam, alcohol doesnt do anything to it, but petroleum based products sure do :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dentman42
[B]

First time I’ve heard that. Everything I’ve read up until now says DON’T use a Sharpie (alcohol based), DO use an oil-based pen. The “CD Marking” pens I’ve seen say specifically that they’re non-alcohol based (they are water based). Alcohol will supposedly damage the disc. [/B]

BAH! I was buying 100 packs of unknown CD-R media and they were crap. No paint on the top, and I wrote on nearly every one of those with Sharpie, as I do with all of my CD-Rs. Works fine, no errors caused.

Me and company have been using Faber-Castell/Swan OHP Markers (water/alcohol based) on discs for a long time, also something called “Painty” (made by Flair) in Silver/Gold Metallic for Black Discs etc. with absolutely no ill effects on branded OR unbranded media.

The best thing is…anything which works for you.