Safer with partition?

vbimport

i think ive come to the conclusion, after being infected with a couple viruses, to reformat my computer since it is now running very shady after removing them… here is my question tho:

Is it safer for my files to kept in partitioned drives? In other words, if i split my c drive into 2 partitions, keeping my windows & programs on C, then other files like music, photos, etc on the other partition of it, would those other files be any safer from viruses?? In my experience it seems like viruses usually strike the c drive (with windows) most. OR, would the entire PHYSICAL drive be effected (both partitions)? just curious so i know what to do when i reformat this thing… thanks in advance!

I’m not an expert here, but I wouldn’t think it matters. If a virus is running unchecked, it can get at anything it wants. Many seem to hide themselves as system processes etc., so they reside on the c drive, and many try to effect windows, they go after the c drive again, but the data on your c drive (in seperate folders), shouldn’t be more of a target than another partition. If it does have free run, it can get your other partition just as easilly. Fyi, like I said, I’m no expert, it’s just my take on it (had more that a few virus’s to deal with and have reinstalled a few times because of it).

Hello uronmy49311

I don’t think that your data would be safer if you seperate you software from data. A virus can do almost everything if it runs on your system. Therefore it will not help in any way.

But a few hints:
After setup of you machine, with all your applications and settings I’d make a backup of this working state. In case of an virus or trojan infection you can complete delete your system and restore the backup. That will not take more than 30-60 minutes (depending on the size of your restored data). In this time span it is impossible to setup your complete system by hand.

For easier data backup, a seperation of system/software and data may be useful, and maybe a 2nd patition is a good idea. I use a directory tree for all my data and make a backup of this directory tree every few weeks, and if necessary more often.

This strategy saves a lot time in case I’d have a virus/trojan infection or a hardware fault.

what is the recommended app or process of making a backup of a system? is it like an ISO of my computer of what? how big of a file are we talking? thanks for the advice!

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;1995041]what is the recommended app or process of making a backup of a system? is it like an ISO of my computer of what? how big of a file are we talking? thanks for the advice![/QUOTE]

I’d go with Acronis True Image (can’t recall what the latest version # is offhand)…I’m using v10 and it backs up my Windows partition nicely to an image file which I store on another partition.

How big that file is will depend on what you have installed program-wise when you make the image - I usually do it after I have all my Windows updates, and the programs I know work OK installed.

ok, i’ll check that out and see whats up! thanks

Another longer-term plan would be to install a virtual machine and do all your internet browsing from within that. Viruses and adware crap wouldn’t be able to access your other ‘real’ data and if you get infected, then just the virtual machine needs wiping and re-installing.

Believe it or not the software is free from M$… and it is easier than you think to set up.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

[QUOTE=Arachne;1995048]I’d go with Acronis True Image (can’t recall what the latest version # is offhand)…I’m using v10 and it backs up my Windows partition nicely to an image file which I store on another partition.

How big that file is will depend on what you have installed program-wise when you make the image - I usually do it after I have all my Windows updates, and the programs I know work OK installed.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I’d go with Ghost, running from a Win98 boot CD; I’ve not had much success with Acronis. Ghost can burn straight to DVD+/-R or to another partition on your HD (much faster), which is a good reason to partition it!

Also, what anti-virus s/w are you running; I’ve been using AVG Free for years and never picked up a virus that it hasn’t blocked instantly; I’d also recommend a hardware firewall if you’re not using one already.

Sláinte

midders

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;1994595]i think ive come to the conclusion, after being infected with a couple viruses, to reformat my computer since it is now running very shady after removing them… here is my question tho:

Is it safer for my files to kept in partitioned drives? In other words, if i split my c drive into 2 partitions, keeping my windows & programs on C, then other files like music, photos, etc on the other partition of it, would those other files be any safer from viruses?? In my experience it seems like viruses usually strike the c drive (with windows) most. OR, would the entire PHYSICAL drive be effected (both partitions)? just curious so i know what to do when i reformat this thing… thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Separate doesn’t and will not save you from virus if they are intent on causing your system harm…they don’t come knocking on your door to be let in…I for one have my main programs running on C:\ and my other files on my various HDD in my system…and one Drive is keeped free as much as I can so that I can use Ghost 2003 to make a backup image of a clean drive prior to reinstalling downloaded software updated. Then I reghost that working drive image and have a safe copy at hand when I need it. With Ghost I can reimage my drive back to before that infection happened to my C:\ drive. But one has to remember if your firewall or AV isn’t up to date that is not going to help much to protect your other drives from the infections…But doesn’t VM take alot of RAM and CPU and HDD space as well so your also taxing your system rather then trying to get rid of the malware or virus trying to infect your system?

Hi,[QUOTE=uronmy49311;1994595]i think ive come to the conclusion, after being infected with a couple viruses, to reformat my computer since it is now running very shady after removing them… [/quote]:iagree: Rebuilding the system is the only reliable method to get back a reliable system :iagree:

here is my question tho:
Is it safer for my files to kept in partitioned drives? In other words, if i split my c drive into 2 partitions, keeping my windows & programs on C, then other files like music, photos, etc on the other partition of it, would those other files be any safer from viruses??
Apart from malware, also user’s own stupidity and hardware failure are threatening the data on the harddisc. Only help: regular backups of these data on external media (ext. HDD or CD/DVD discs). Imaging software like ghost etc. is not good for this special job btw.

To prevent your system from many malware attacks, do not rely on so-called “security software” as only way of protection.

Windows XP incorporates different kinds of users with different permissions.
User accounts with adminstrative permissions are intended for tasks like system maintenance, software and hardware installation and similar.
For regular work, surfing, typing, painting etc. there are users with restricted permissions. They really don’t need write access to the Windows or Programs folder (and some parts of the registry). Using an account of this type for any web related activities will also prevent 95% of all malware installation attempts.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1996194]Hi,:iagree: Rebuilding the system is the only reliable method to get back a reliable system [/QUOTE]
Absolutely agree…

Like Arachne, I use Acronis TI (actually still using 9.0).
I much prefer this software to norton’s ghost.

Typically, hdds are pretty darn cheap these days.
I keep a sata hdd in an external case and clone my system hdd once a week. This has kept me from a world of pain and has been well worth the nominal cost of another hdd.

I used to just clone an internal slave hdd, but a few years back I lost a rig to a lightning strike… hdds, even the motherboard was fried.

[QUOTE=maineman;1996229]Absolutely agree…

Like Arachne, I use Acronis TI (actually still using 9.0).
I much prefer this software to norton’s ghost.

Typically, hdds are pretty darn cheap these days.
I keep a sata hdd in an external case and clone my system hdd once a week. This has kept me from a world of pain and has been well worth the nominal cost of another hdd.

I used to just clone an internal slave hdd, but a few years back I lost a rig to a lightning strike… hdds, even the motherboard was fried.[/QUOTE]

Lost to lightning strike?? Didn’t you have a expensive surge protector and why would you be using your computer during a lightning storm?? That is asking for trouble in my view when you do something like that…I use ghost and still like it but I have ver. 2003 not the newer version and I run it off a floppy disk and clone it twice a month, when I update my software to prevent any problems from poping up…

I do a lot of experimenting with progs, so I sometimes reload my OS more than once in a day. So I use two hard drives. One for the OS. If you only have one H.D., then it would be prudent to have a large one and use two partitions. You can always clean up the second partition if infected because there are not any boot files or any critical files that matter. I use Acronis to do all of my imaging and partitioning. It takes the place of Ghost and Partition Magic and the cd’s that come with a new H.D.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1996526]Lost to lightning strike?? Didn’t you have a expensive surge protector and why would you be using your computer during a lightning storm?? That is asking for trouble in my view when you do something like that…I use ghost and still like it but I have ver. 2003 not the newer version and I run it off a floppy disk and clone it twice a month, when I update my software to prevent any problems from poping up…[/QUOTE]

Yes, I had a surge protector and who says I was on the pc at the time? You presume a great deal.
I was actually in Scotland along with my family at the time. This was my son’s pc. The other pcs were all unplugged. He apparently thought better of my advice to unplug it, but it was most assuredly off since the rocker switch on the surge protector had been switched to the off position.

As for the power of mother nature, my Volvo (in the garage) also lost an electronic fuel pump…this model actually has two…one being mechanical.
Several ground fault outlets in the house were tripped, one unfortunately to a large chest freezer in the basement with a couple hundred pounds of food including a lot of meat.

This was in July and we were gone for 3 weeks. According to my neighbor, the lightning storm occurred during our first week away.
We got back at about 1 AM…went into the house and said oh my god!..what died in here…:eek:

No amount of surge protection would have been sufficient here…hell, I’m glad the house was intact.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion re: ghost…I used it before acronis.
IMO, acronis is a far superior piece of software.