Safedisk v2 and "regenerate data sectors"

vbimport

I need some help here, 'cause I 'm confused!
I 'm trying to backup my Myst3: Exile game, which is safedisk 2
(not safedisk 2.51!) protected according to ClonyXXL v2.0.0.6.
Should I check the option "regenerate data sectors" in CloneCD?
Also, should "fast error skip settings" be set to auto or on?
Thanks!

why dont u give FantomCD a go?? it is a pretty good program :slight_smile:

what cd-writer do you have?? If it is a Lite-on then disable it.

You can look at www.elby.ch in the “supported cd writers” list. If your drive has 2 sheeps in the “Correct EFM encoding” column you can disable it.
If it has 1 sheep en-able it, if it has no sheeps try to enable it also. BUt with no sheep i assure you nothing

I have a LiteOn 40125W with firmware WS04.

I think that “regenerate data sectors” has nothing to do with correct EFM encoding. Or am I wrong?

No that’s correct. By default the Regenerate Data option has been disabled because it uses quite a lot of CPU power. This option is only ‘needed’ when making a back-up of a back-up. Because you have a Lite-On writer you just need to write the image with the AWS option disabled. You can use the ‘SafeDisc 2(.51) [no AWS]’ Profile for this (for links check my sig). The default Fast Error Skip settings will do. Use the latest CloneCD version, 4.0.1.9

Ok, thanks.
A last question: If nonetheless I leave “regenerate data sectors” checked, would this cause the backup not to play?

Probably not but it’s completely unnecessary with your writer and it is always preferable to avoid unnecessary settings.

Originally posted by kpapa
Ok, thanks.
A last question: If nonetheless I leave “regenerate data sectors” checked, would this cause the backup not to play?

Nope it will only slow down the reading time process for about 30%.

One should use this option when backing up a scratched original cd or when backing up a backup.

why would you need the regenerate data sectors when backing up a backup…I have done this before with clonecd 3 and 4…with this off and all seems well…

I seem to misinformed about this option…I would appreciate any advice…help…

thanks

Originally posted by nealh
[B]why would you need the regenerate data sectors when backing up a backup…I have done this before with clonecd 3 and 4…with this off and all seems well…

I seem to misinformed about this option…I would appreciate any advice…help…

thanks [/B]
Actually i think Olli has also mentioned this somewhere. Will try to get this for you nealh :wink:

Here you have it

Originally posted by Olli
It was checked on the initial CloneCD 4 release, but it was disabled by default in later releases. Regenerate Data Sectors needs a lot of CPU power and is usually not needed if you copy from an original disc. It can be helpful if you need to backup a backup (we don’t do this, don’t we?)

Not to sound very stupid here but I looked thru all of Clone CD and couldnt find anywhere it says to Regenerate Data Sectors, I found the AWS and the rest, but not that, someone tell me where this is located???

Originally posted by AngelDeath
Not to sound very stupid here but I looked thru all of Clone CD and couldnt find anywhere it says to Regenerate Data Sectors, I found the AWS and the rest, but not that, someone tell me where this is located???
Right click on the game profile --> edit and there you have it :wink:

Wouldn’t change anything there if i were you though (that is if you have no previous experience with ccd)

Thanx Hemispasm, I didnt realize it was during reading that this setting was there, I was racking my brains thinking it was under settings during writing :smiley:

God I think I need more coffee :smiley:

thanks Hemispasm…but why does it help…any idea??