Safedisk 2--can a 8x4x32 drive handle it?

I have a Sony CRX140E 8x4x32 drive. Have heard that Safedisk 2 needs subchannel data support. Am not even sure what that means, and have no idea if the Sony drive can do it.

Hi, i’ve owned a sony 140e too;you can’t do a copy of a game with sd2 with this one sd1 is possible.
I’ve managed around the sd2 protection with deamon tools,that works fine too.
For more info on writer capabilities see the clonecd pages.
greetings and succes.

Originally posted by sethfp
Have heard that Safedisk 2 needs subchannel data support.
Nope this is not true. The subs are not required to make a backup of a SD protected game. It requires though a burner which is able of raw reading/writing and correct efm encoding of regular bit patterns during the writing process, and i don’t think your drive is one of them (actually it is a no-sheep buner according to elby)

You can always try with CCD and AWS on (or any other proggy with a similar function like BlindWrite).

Originally posted by Hemispasm
[B]Nope this is not true. The subs are not required to make a backup of a SD protected game. It requires though a burner which is able of raw reading/writing and correct efm encoding of regular bit patterns during the writing process, and i don’t think your drive is one of them (actually it is a no-sheep buner according to elby)

You can always try with CCD and AWS on (or any other proggy with a similar function like BlindWrite). [/B]

I have Clone CD 4–how is AWS turned on? Would AWS make it possible to backup a Safedisk 2 disk, even if the 8x4x32 drive itself can’t? What is “no-sheep”?

I have Clone CD 4–how is AWS turned on?
It’s enabled in the default Game Profile but it’s disabled for the US and Japan. If you happen to live there then check out the CloneCD FAQ.

Would AWS make it possible to backup a Safedisk 2 disk, even if the 8x4x32 drive itself can’t?
Depends. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won’t… You’ll just have to try or perhaps use our search function to check if other members have already tested it.

What is “no-sheep”?
The sheeps are used on the CloneCD supported hardware lists. It stands for writers that can do ‘correct EFM-Encoding’:
2 sheeps = Drive writes regular bit patterns correctly.
1 sheep = Drive writes regular bit patterns almost correctly.
0 sheep = Drive does not write regular bit patterns correctly.

More information: The CloneCD FAQ.

I downloaded “CCD4RegKill” to enable the AWS. Should “Hide CDR Media” be checked or not? (There is still no reference to AWS, and if it is on or off.)

Wright-click on the game profile you’re using and go to properties and you will find AWS sectors there.

Hide CDR media should be enabled if you’re planning to run the backup from your cdr drive.

Please note that the ‘Hide CDR Media’ option has nothing to do when reading or writing the disc. It’s needed when playing the back-up from a CD-recorder… This option is not located in CloneCD but in the CloneCD-tray. You can start this (if it doesn’t start automatically) by executing CloneCDTray.exe located by default in ‘C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneCD’.

Some of the early sd2 protections could be done be a Sony. I have a backup of No one lives forever that was made from a original, The protection was sd2. What version I dont remember but, I know it will not back up SD2 after 2.25 or so.

SD2 doesnt use subchannels.