SafeDisk 2.9x & CloneCD

vbimport

Just backed up Devastation (2.90.040) to a cdrw with BW 4.2.5 on my Liteon 40125S.

At first i thought it hadnt worked, as it refused to load after installing.

Then i read this thread about having virtual drives installed and i thought, well, that can’t be it, as i don’t have any installed. I don’t have Alcohol at all, the only program with a virtual drive option i have is Clone 4.2. (BW 4.2.5 doesn’t have a virtual drive option, as mentioned by Kamikazee).

But like i said, i don’t use the virtual drive option on Clone anyway.

Anyway, after much head scratching i uninstalled Clone totally and guess what - Devastation started up straight away!

So i guess it’s not only the fact of having a virtual drive installed, it’s having Clone installed at all! Talk about an invasion of privacy!

What gives a software company the right to determine what programs i can and can’t have on my pc??

Anyway, thought i would pass on this point for anyone else having similar problems.

And thanks to the previous posters for the heads up on the virtual drive situation…at least it gave me a clue as to where my problem was.

…interesting…dunno what to think though. CloneCD has never been blacklisted. Maybe VDs are blacklisted, maybe you had the VD installed but no drives assigned - what do you think?

long time no talk to…

Well, i can definately say i never had a VD installed at the time…i have had one before (Clone version), but that was a fair while ago.

I disabled it as i never used it.

At the time of trying Devastation i didn’t even have the CD tray up. Just had Clone installed, thats all.

Seemed a bit much to me that it would blackban having a particular peice of software sitting on your computer, but thats the conclusion i have reached at the moment.

Oh, i have also successfully backed it up to CDR since my last post, as well…

And what are you doing up this late in Canberra as well…burning the oil??

>i have had one before (Clone version), but that was a fair while
>ago. I disabled it as i never used it.

Aha, doesn’t matter, it was there anyway. All software VDs are blacklisted by SecuROM 4.84.69.0071

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69452

PS: I was working on some stuff

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B Aha, doesn’t matter, it was there anyway. All software VDs are blacklisted by SecuROM 4.84.69.0071 [/B]

Isn’t this illegal… :confused: :Z
If I use WordPerfect, Microsofts Office XP can’t blacklist it, isn’t this the same situation. :confused:

As a little test, I reinstalled CCD, but without installing the VD. Devastation still played ok.

Then i went and installed the VD, but left it disabled. Straight away, the game didn’t run.

So you were right (as usual!!)…obviously it isnt the fact that CCD is installed, just the VD.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me…i’ll have to stop jumping to hasty conclusions.

the latest patch for Splinter Cell blacklists virtual drives as well.

The protection goes from Safedisc 2.80.011 to Safedisc 2.90.040

thanks to Bulk for the info

Does the original work with the CloneCD VD installed?

No, neither original or backup will run with VD installed.

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]the latest patch for Splinter Cell blacklists virtual drives as well.

The protection goes from Safedisc 2.80.011 to Safedisc 2.90.040

…[/B]

Actually, I made a copy of Splinter Cell with Alcohol v1.4.3.410 & I have the Alcohol virtual drive installed. After patching the game, which updated the copy protection to Safedisc - 2.90.40(according to yAtEs), I am able to both play the game from in my CD/DVD drive with the back-up & also from the Alcohol virtual drive from the Alcohol image. Also, I am not running any type of emulation whatsoever.

Any thought?

BTW this is the U.S.A. retail version.

Yup. Alcohol virtual drive has been updated since first appearance of sd 2.9 to get around blacklisting. Ccd virtual drive has not been updated since then so blacklist of ccd virtual drive still effective.

Originally posted by Angel of Death
[B]

Actually, I made a copy of Splinter Cell with Alcohol v1.4.3.410 & I have the Alcohol virtual drive installed. [/B]
Oakey Doke, I’ll check. And, philamber, I don’t remember CloneCD ever being blacklisted…too tired to search :stuck_out_tongue:

In my case, too tired and too lazy to search. :bigsmile:

However, I’m certain that ccd’s hide is blacklisted by sd 2.9 and I’m pretty sure that the ccd vd is blacklisted too.

Some say its blacklisted some say its not.
I don’t recall ever using CCD’s virtual drive to be honest. It must be blacklisted at some point.
Having said that, when was the last time CCD updated its virtual drive?
Has it ever been updated?

I just put my Splinter Cell back-up in my burner, opened the CloneCD tray, checked “hide CDR media” & played the game with no problems.

When I initially installed CloneCD I did not install the Clone virtual drive maybe it has something to do with that.

“CloneCD has never been blacklisted.”

Yes it has, but only once AFAIK, a version of FIFA (2001 IIRC) in Italy.

remember the latest SD protection looks for the CLONECD.exe …so rename the file and your shortcuts…

had problems trying to play Sims Superstar backup until i uninstalled clonecd!!!

pass this on yo

are you sure it doesn’t blacklist the Virtual Drive or just the Tray. Why don’t you Try disabling these or installind CCD without them. It would be nice to know if that works. I don’t think a game company would do that cause it seems very illegal. It’s like Internet Explorer not working if it see’s Netscape.

i have no virtual drives installed…it checks for the .exe

isn’t that Illegal?