Safedisc analysis

vbimport

Hi there,

Messing around here quite a lot and playing computer games as a primary hobby, I have a pack of questions regarding safedisc protection. Well, I am not going to answer them directly but instead I am going to write down what I have understood so far and asking … to correct me if I am wrong! First of all safedisc is a CD-protection technique which is based on intensionally introducing bad sectors to a disc.

When we try to backup those games we need what?
Any reader should do?
And why for example my DVD needs a month to read an image of a safedisc protected CD while my writer does it in a minute?

Additionally, safedisc is the only protection that has to do with this sheep thing. I suppose on writing, not on reading.

OK. If you have a zero sheep writer, you should buy a new one. If you have a two sheep writer you should keep it in a safebox.
But … if you have an one sheep writer?
What you should do?

Let’s say you use Alcohol 120% with safedisc 2/3 profile.
Why some games are backed up and some other do not?
What’s the criteria for this to happen or not?

And most importantly, why the same !@#$% disc plays on a CD-ROM and does NOT on another?

Well, I let you know if I have something else in mind … :confused:

OK, Lets go. :cool:

The Bad Sectors are one of the copy protections features of SafeDisc.

To backup SafeDisc you need a Two Sheep Writer and either Alcohol 120% or DiscDump + FireBurner.

Not all drives read the discs properly. Use your 2 Sheep Writer for best results. This answers another of you questions.

You writer is better at reading bad sectors. Therefore it takes less time.

0 And 1 Sheep writers are nearly the same. With 1 Sheep writers you can normally get a copy to work using emulation but not a perfect copy.

Let’s say you use Alcohol 120% with safedisc 2/3 profile.
Why some games are backed up and some other do not?

This is one of the reasons the forum is here to help getting your copies to work. There could be a number of reasons. SafeDisc 3 is alot harder to backup.

And most importantly, why the same !@#$% disc plays on a CD-ROM and does NOT on another?

If you are talking about another CD-Rom some are just picker than other about waht they will and won’t play. If you are talking about a CDRW then you probably need a ATAIP hiding program.

I hope some of that is helpful.

Just some additions:

And why for example my DVD needs a month to read an image of a safedisc protected CD while my writer does it in a minute?

Whether your drive will read quickly a SD protected game or not depends primarely on its ability to skip the bad sectors. Fast error skip is a feature that works differently with each drive, and the speed the process is done depends on the chipset the drive uses.So some drives are fast “skippers” while others are not. Its not just a matter of cd recorders vs cd/dvd roms, as some dvd roms are also very fast reading SD.

Additionally, safedisc is the only protection that has to do with this sheep thing. I suppose on writing, not on reading
Yep its related to the writing process

But … if you have an one sheep writer? What you should do?
One sheep writers can most of the times produce a working backup that needs no emulation using a feature like Amplify Weak Sectors. This is drive-dependable and probably wont work for the latest SD versions. Other than that, emulation is the way.

Let’s say you use Alcohol 120% with safedisc 2/3 profile. Why some games are backed up and some other do not?

1. Drive used
  2. SD version
  3. Software and settings used

The reason that your game works on one computer and not another could be the result of emulation secretly running on your computer, or their drive(presumably being a burner) needs an ATIP hider, which is Alcohol’s Ignore Media Type or CloneCD’s Hide CDR.