Safedisc 2.8x results - Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2

Well I finally got a safedisc 2.8x protected game yesterday, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, and conducted a series of copying tests with my Lite-ons, Ltd-163 and Ltr-24102b, with interesting results.

In all cases, save for alcohol 120%, I used the Ltd-163 as reader and, needless to say, the Ltr-24102b as writer. In the case of alcohol 120%, I made images of the original cd with both devices.

Results as follows:

• clonecd 4.0.1.10 - failed;

• blindwrite 4.1 - failed;

• alcohol 120% (latest beta; i.e. the one that can emulate the latest securom) - failed; images were bad as they would not run from virtual drive without emulation;

• image made with dicdump and burnt with-

• fireburner 2.17 (dao16) - succeeded;

• nero (dao96) - succeeded (but copy inferior as it takes system much longer to read the burnt cd than the original);

• cdrdao 1.1.7 - failed.

Interestingly, I then uninstalled blindwrite, cleaned out its registry entries, and re-installed the old blindread 3.0.0.23 (since I’ve long been of the opinion that it’s a better safedisc reader than the latest versions).

Well, as I suspected might well be the case, when I made an image with blindread 3.0.0.23 and burnt it with fireburner, the copy worked perfectly.

Originally posted by philamber
[B] - fireburner 2.17 (dao16) - succeeded;

• nero (dao96) - succeeded (but copy inferior as it takes system much longer to read the burnt cd than the original)[/B]

Very interesting. I just burned a copy with Fireburner and noticed the same behavior. The CD burned with Nero, while 100% functional, takes longer to recognize in my Pioneer DVD-ROM (the drive I use to test discs I burn) than does the copy burned with Fireburner. Oh well, long as the backup works it’s not big deal. :bigsmile:

Edit: And by taking longer to recognize in my drive, I mean a 2-3 count. Not drastically long. If you didn’t tell someone it was a copy, they wouldn’t know the difference.

@philamber,

is the fireburner version no 1.1.7 correct or a typo?
i thought there was only 2 versions 1.06 and 2.17

[A typo. I used 2.17. I’ve corrected my post above accordingly. Thanks. philamber]

Nice!
But can you tell me how you actually use?
The smaller version of FireBurner or the bigger one?
Also what settings for FireBurner did you use?
I only see 3 recording modes in the list.
“DAO”
“SAO”
& “RAW”
Which one should I use?
Should I check Multisession? What’s this checkbox for?
Also what’s Use Write 12? Should I check it?
For DiscDump, does anyone know where I can get it? I heard that their site is down.
What format should I extract the CD to? BIN and CUE?
Is it possible that FireBurner burn SUBS using an image? Is the SUBS stored in the BIN Image or a separate file?
Thanks everybody! :smiley:

That’s a lot of questions. Instructions for usage of discdump and fireburner (both 1.06 and 2.17) together with links to pages where you can get them can be found in this thread.

If the discdump frontend site is down, you can also get discdump together with the standard frontend from the downloads page of Daemon Tools website.

To softwareguy:

Using the Discdump frontend 1) make sure you have updated your ASPI layer or else the program won’t work and 2) I used the Safedisc profile and left all the advanced options alone.

In Fireburner, I loaded the cuesheet Discdump created, hit burn and let it go. I didn’t have to mess with any options at all to make a perfect copy. :cool:

I used ddump for the image and fireburner for the writer. The first backup turned out to be a coaster, but I turned off “Autocorrect subchannel data”, burned another backup and it works fine. I also tried bruning the ddump image with nero - dao/96, and it installs fine, but generates errors on startup. I have a liteon ltr-32123 incase you’re wondering. My reader is a sony cdu5211.

hahahahaha i have a working backup of NFShp2 thanks to phil!!!

here is a nice pic for ya

tried these progs:

blindwrite suite 4.1.1.9---------failed

blindwrite 4.1.1.9 cue sheet and Fireburner--------failed

discdump and Fireburner-------SUCCESS

here is a pic for ya

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Originally posted by philamber
[B] - fireburner 2.17 (dao16) - succeeded

Why not dao96? Always dao16 for Safedisc2 or??

[/B]

Either dao16 or dao96 should work since sub-codes don’t form part of the protection. What is required is a raw burning mode and those are the two supported by fireburner.

I use dao16 because I’m a minimalist (i.e. don’t use more than you have to) and because dao16 is the default raw burning mode for my Litey (as it is with all Liteys).

philamber,

alcohol has a new beta which can do SD2.8, can you pls test it out and let us know?

thanks!

I’ve just tested the most recent alcohol beta (which is 3 versions later than the one referred to in my original post in this thread) on Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 using my Ltr-24102B as both reader and writer and yes it can successfully copy safedisc 2.8x.

Copies using the latest alcohol beta were successful both when image made from the original cd and when made from my discdump/fireburner back-up copy.

Which version is that? 1.3.3.1027 or later?

awesome…

i can predict a CCD update coming up now… :cool:

Read with CloneCD from Toshiba DVD-ROM selecting the option to make a cue file and burned with Fireburner on Memorex 48MAXX (lite-on) and works no problems.

Edit - I first tried to write the Clone image with clone, and it didnt work…reburned same image with fireburner and plays fine.

same here, read it with my Toshiba SD-M1612 using CloneCD and burned it with the last Alcohol 120% Version, works fine without any Problems :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Azrael Qyrgg
I used ddump for the image and fireburner for the writer. The first backup turned out to be a coaster, but I turned off “Autocorrect subchannel data”, burned another backup and it works fine. I also tried bruning the ddump image with nero - dao/96, and it installs fine, but generates errors on startup. I have a liteon ltr-32123 incase you’re wondering. My reader is a sony cdu5211.

Install fine - TOP , to make a install copy you also can use winoncd

anymore testing with the new version of BW?
i know CCD can’t… so much for a prediction :a

Using a Sony CRX175A1, I make working installable/playable copies of NFSHP2 using both CCD’s latest and Blindwrite’s latest.
As the SafeDisc protection evolves it seems to be able to defeat more of the burners that could handle its earlier revisions.
The Sony CRX175A1, though inexpensive, has been my most reliable writer. It does everything but Tages.

On the SecureRom New, I can copy UT2003 with BlindWrite’s latest using the BWDBuilder file. CloneCD cannot make a working copy of UT2003 since it doesn’t deal with sector density at this time.
Jim