SafeDisc 2.8X-- NO MORE CLONECD

vbimport

I was always a firm believer of using CloneCD for SD2.8. No matter what end result I’d get, I always insisted that it was my methods and not CCD that caused so many coasters. Now I have to say, that until CCD gets an update to be compatible with SD2.8x, I will ONLY use DiscDump, and FireBurner! Everytime with CCD, I would create a burn that would install fine, but when I went to play, I would always get a “blahblah.exe has encountered an illegal operation…” message. This does not happen with DD+FB. So far I’ve been able to get Raven Shield, and Generals to work flawlessly. As you can see these games are very new, and sport some of the latest versions of SD 2.8.

So there you have it folks, this is a ringing endorsement to all those like me before. Forget CCD for 1:1 backups of games. There is no need for emulation either(Alcohol 120%), just use DiscDump and FireBurner for Safedisc(SD2.8) 2.8X protected games.

Alcohol will make a working copy without emulation, and so will ccd (in some cases). But for some reason ccd won’t work for most ppl.

Alcohol won’t make a working copy without emulation.
Alcohol emulates wether you like it or not

copies made with alcohol 120 do not have to use hide media or any other emulation as long as you dont try playing them in a CD burner. I have made back up copies of three of the latest safedisc 2.8 games and they all work on machines without any kind of emulation as long as they are played in a CD rom or DVD drive.

people just don’t listen ALCOHOL EMULATES. Alcohol emulates the pre-gap data of safedisc 2.8 wether you like it or not during the burn alcohol writes it’s own data to emulate the pre-gap data.

@iss
Do a search on the forum and learn more about it.

werd

Alcohol won’t make a working copy without emulation.

I believe you are confusing SecuRom 4.8 in which case you are right, alcohol will only emulate this protection.

Alcohol will make a back-up of SafeDisk 2.8 (may not be 1:1 but it is a working copy)

Now a combination of Blindwrite 4.2.5 and the BWA Builder from 4.2.8 (has always worked for me anyways) Will make a working back-up (not 1:1 and it is hardware dependant) of SecuRom 4.8 that in most cases will not require any additional software, if it does it is a small autoplay feature found in the Blindwrite sub-forum. Blindwrite will also copy SafeDisk 2.8

here’s a post from Futureproof that explains a little bit about it. There are a lot more threads on this topic so look around.

@kamikazee

I’m not confusing it with anything

No he is right about the emulation because of this:

• Pre-gap information is being used in the latest versions of SafeDisc… namely SD2.8x
  • All programs except Discdump and DiscJuggler properly write this information.
    -In the case of Alcohol, it emulates it if it can’t 1:1.
    -With CCD, it is not used, or it is not enabled(there is no way of enabling it i think).
    -There are certain CDRWs that writes the correct pre-gap information in “hardware mode” automatically.

This is why it doesn’t always work with CCD, and why it usually works with alcohol because it emulates it automatically if it cant 1:1.

Another quote from Futureproof :

Hi Olivier. We know a couple of things for certain but I’ll have to talk around them a bit so that priviledged information is not totally compromised. CloneCD will not emulate any part of the backup unless you tick Emulate or AWS (AWS is not emulation per se but neither are the original sectors written, this is true for all AWS capable buring apps). If you tick “Ignore” it will not attempt to emulate the pre-gap for example; so, like DiscJuggler, CloneCD + two-sheep burner simply will or will not produce a backup. Alcohol, on the other hand will add emulated sectors whether you ask for it or not.

The point is that future versions of SD2 may check for these emulated sectors and reject the backup. It’s not a war stopper but it needs to be known and understood

dryars what version of CloneCD you using and what burner?
i’ve been using CloneCD ver. 3.3.4.1 and my Lite-On 40125S and haven’t had any problems yet.
made backups of Generals, NFS:HP2, 007:Nightfire, etc, all SD2.8x.
all work perfect.
maybe its just your burner.

I didnt say that alcohol 120 didnt emulate the pregap data what I said was back ups made with Alcohol dont require emulation ie; virtual drives, hide media, dameon tools, etc, in order to play on any CDrom or DVD rom. nor do they require that alcohol be on the system. so the fact that alcohol doesnt really read or write the pregap data means little since the copies work without anything else being required.

Originally posted by dryars
- All programs except Discdump and DiscJuggler properly write this information.

Not quite right.

Only discjuggler both reads and writes the pre-gap info from a safedisc 2.8x cd (if your reader is up to the task).

Whilst discdump can read the pre-gap (using one of its rarely used advanced options), fireburner ignores any pre-gap info in the image and just writes its own pre-gap anyway so it makes no difference whether you read the pre-gap with ddump or not.

Alcohol 120% does not emulate any pre-gap data, it just writes a standard pre-gap for SafeDisc 2.8x.

If you cd writer is 2 sheeps alcohol will produce backups that work without the help of alcohol later .

Some guys report that they burn a clonecd image with alcohol120% and that the backups work perfectly on a set of PC which had not Acohol installed .

This is definitely a problem of burning process that is done correctly by Alcohol not an emulation problem
(although it could be possible that the pre-gap content of the backup is not exactly the same as the original and some people called it pregap emulation - but it has nothing to do for example with SAFEDISC emulation performed by clonecd or daemon or alcohol (although safedisc emulation shall also this time really emulate (simulate) finaly the pregap content )) .

Olivier

ccd v4.2.0.2

with ltr-32125s

@dryars
use this profile in clone cd it works for me with sd2.8 and lite-on:

[CloneCD ReadPrefs]
ReadSubData=0
RegenerateData=0
ReadSubAudio=0
AbortOnReadError=0
FastErrorSkip=1
ReadSpeedData=0
ReadSpeedAudio=0
IntelligentBadSectorScan=0
SectorSkip=100
NoErrorReport=0
FirstSessionOnly=0
AudioQuality=0
[CloneCD WritePrefs]
DontRepairSubchannelData=0
AlwaysCloseLastSession=0
AmplifyWeak=0
WriteSpeed=0

Originally posted by dryars
[B]I was always a firm believer of using CloneCD for SD2.8. No matter what end result I’d get, I always insisted that it was my methods and not CCD that caused so many coasters. Now I have to say, that until CCD gets an update to be compatible with SD2.8x, I will ONLY use DiscDump, and FireBurner! Everytime with CCD, I would create a burn that would install fine, but when I went to play, I would always get a “blahblah.exe has encountered an illegal operation…” message. This does not happen with DD+FB. So far I’ve been able to get Raven Shield, and Generals to work flawlessly. As you can see these games are very new, and sport some of the latest versions of SD 2.8.

So there you have it folks, this is a ringing endorsement to all those like me before. Forget CCD for 1:1 backups of games. There is no need for emulation either(Alcohol 120%), just use DiscDump and FireBurner for Safedisc(SD2.8) 2.8X protected games. [/B]

i can generate that error bu enabling emulation in a120. disabling just tells me to reinsert my cd2. having only been on this forums 2 days, i suspect you have fallen for this emulation trick? i have tried your DiscDump and FireBurner method but i get the same problem… perhaps you can go over your config with me?

check out my similar thread

here.

An ASUS two-sheep burner and DiscJuggler will give you a killer backup every time :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that Alcohol yet reads and writes the first pre-gap (of course the reader/writer has to be able to do it). MartinX has talked around the issue but has not explicityly stated it as a problem or that it has been fixed in software. Nevertheless it’s not an issue.

As usual, playing from a burner requires a Hide ATIP feature activated :wink:

I know most of your talked about using DD+fireburner to make a good copy of a Sd2.8x protected game, but will a copy made with DD+alcohol 120% be just as effective and good as the DD+fireburner method? There is a large thread in the Recording Software Forum that talk about this and mention that the best quality is from DD+fireburner, but I’m wondering is the alcohol method just as effective? Thx