SafeCast killed my burner?

I was trying to make a backup of Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance, which is Safedisc1. I tested the image in Daemon Tools virtual drive and it comes up as an audio CD with a single track. So then I tried copying a CD that doesn’t even have protection - Starcraft. Same result, the image was an audio CD with one giant track. I have been burned both of these games before successfully, and am reading the original CDs. The only change in my computer I can think of that could cause trouble is that I installed the Mechwarrior 4 Mech Paks, which also force installation of SafeCast, which has been reported to disable burners.

What CD Writer do you have?

Originally posted by thundercracker
I tested the image in Daemon Tools virtual drive and it comes up as an audio CD with a single track.
This is usually an incompatibility bewteen the burner and some setting in CloneCD OR a DMA issue OR a subchannel issue. It affects Yammys in the main but it is less frequent now that people are using v4 of CloneCD :wink:

I got the image to read correctly, with two settings changes (I don’t know which or if both are responsible).

I turned Read Subchannel Data from Data Tracks OFF, and Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner ON.

Although it puzzles me why either of these settings should affect the CDs I was testing.

Originally posted by thundercracker

I turned Read Subchannel Data from Data Tracks OFF,

…that did the trick. As I said, some writers cannot cope with reading subs when they are ‘empty’ - typically Yamaha burners

I see. Well, now that I think about it, I used to leave Read Subchannel off back in CloneCD 3. I tried reading them but I got the error message that the drive wasn’t compatible with read subchannels. For some reason in CloneCD 4 it apparently lets the drive read the subchannels but doesn’t do it correctly. But that’s not true either because if I try to read subchannels with my CD-ROM, it stops and gives me the not compatible message. Hmm. Very odd. I have a Mitsumi btw.

Originally posted by FutureProof
…that did the trick. As I said, some writers cannot cope with reading subs when they are ‘empty’ - typically Yamaha burners

Afaik subchannels can not be empty. A cd reading device uses the information in the P+Q channels to find the sectors on a cd.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

Afaik subchannels can not be empty. [/B]
Correct; but I wrote ‘empty’ not empty (note the winkies :)) to mean that there was no added information, such as digital signatures and fingerprints, in the case of SafeDisc. Remember the “padding blocks” error that Yammys used to get when they read subs on SafeDisc?