SafeAudio

vbimport

Just read about the safeaudio copy protection.

I've bought a cd, with on the cover the text: This cd won't play on cd/mac

As I have been reading, I asume that this cd is protected with SafeAudio.

When I put it in my reader device (a Plextor 32 speed scsi cd-rom) and put a blank in my burner (PlexWriter 24x10x40 ide (my 8 speed plexwriter died 2 weeks ago :(), and startup nero (newest version that was available), i could copy the cd perfectly 1:1. :smiley:

Listened the cd, and there was no problem.

The pc used for burning is a machine running windows 98, no patched CDFS.vxd or what, just 100 % original.

So it is possible to copy it 1:1 without doing hard things.
Or the cd is just another protected cd... :confused:

The copied cd is from a Dutch artist called Frans Bauer - Durf Te Dromen (cover is on http://www.miamigocovers.com in the section New/Nieuw, if you want to see about the text in the lower right corner about playing it on pc/mac). Maybe someone can tell me if it is protected or what.

Greetz,

Prophecy

Ps. If I explore the cd, then I can see the .cda tracks normaly, and in nero I see 15 tracks instead of the 14 that are on the cover (so I think track 15 contains the protection (?)).

Well all I can see is the text “Niet afspeelbaar op PC/MAC” and this doesn’t have to indicate the disc is SafeAudio protected… Hell I once had a disc which stated and I quote “Do not put this disc in your CD-ROM for it will cause serious damage to your system!”… And of course it would play just fine :slight_smile:

s. If I explore the cd, then I can see the .cda tracks normaly, and in nero I see 15 tracks instead of the 14 that are on the cover (so I think track 15 contains the protection (?)).
No doesn’t have to be. It could be the disc uses multisession or something like that…

But I do have to say I never had an Audio disc like Frans Bauer so I can’t be sure it isn’t copy-protected :wink:

Some more info: it seems your disc has the Cactus Data Shield protection. Read this story. Discs labelled with “Niet afspeelbaar op PC/MAC” (or similair) have this new protection done by Sony.