SafeAudio explained and should we fear it?

Can you still copy a ‘mix disc’ from Safeaudio encoded discs? I don’t rip with a computer and I’ve never used Napster, but I do like to make backups for my car. Does SA change this?

This is so funny to read. We won’t stop copying disks, just like you won’t stop crying about it. It is what we like to do right?

the existence of copy protection on certain identified and unidentified CD’s has set off much discussion among consumers and hackers. Some articles and web postings suggest that SafeAudio can be circumvented by using special ripping software. We have tested SafeAudio with these ripping software packages, and in each case, our protection was not circumvented. Other web postings have claimed that people have been able to hack a particular CD release when we know that the disc in question did not even have SafeAudio protection. There have also been other allegations in the press that because the SafeAudio anti-piracy solution is embedded in the music, that this will somehow diminish the quality of the consumer’s listening experience. I can tell you that trained professionals called “Golden Ears” at the major labels have tested the quality of SafeAudio CD’s. SafeAudio passed these tests with flying colors. We can continue to expect controversy surrounding the protection of CD audio discs. We believe that it is not necessary, nor is it even possible to respond to all of these unsubstantiated rumors. http://www.ttrtech.com/2q2001_transscript.htm

HA HA HA HA HA Macrovision blows!

Firstly I’d like to congratulate Domi on his informative & articulate article. Then I’d like to say that conrtary to your corporate posters views, I have found nothing illegal on this site. [If I show you a document that tells you how to make a bomb, am I a bomber?]. Recording the audiostream direct to HDD DOES work (thanks for that), it’s just a little tempermental. Oh, and as for Efrayem’s “Golden Ears”, my 10 year old brother spotted your dodgy “Pop-Crackle” [his words, not mine] protection. If you want illegal softs, this is not really the place to be, try o-dayawrez or gamecopyworld. I said I’d tell you what you needed to hear, not what you awnted to hear

Well Thanks for the news about the cdfs.vxd. it works fine :slight_smile: Same is a good bypass to the protection cd, you can save time in most audios applications like : audiocatalyst : if you want speed when you make mp3, just encodes files manually and pick directly the wav file in the audio cd. Good speed and better result garantied cause no more clicks And for Cool Edit Users : Place directly your audio cd in drive, select open, select cd, select the good directory and cool edit just read the file as the same way before you used cool edit :slight_smile: You lots of time doing this No more recording cause now YOU CAN SEE THE WAV FILES on the cd and Cool edit too :slight_smile: Thanks for the file :slight_smile: Save time = more money See Ya

It seems to me that if tiny gaps in data are being used as protection this means that new Safeaudio cds will not stand up to what we consider the normal rigors of cds. Smaller imperfections will be more likely to create noticable problems.

Copying audio cd’s is illegal. My question is why have we got MP3 players if we cannot use them? Are the ‘RCs’ gonna release choons in MP3 format. :d

"Perhaps they should put a label such as “hahahahahaha we now have a product that will keep idiot hackers from costing us money.” Perhaps they should put a label such as “hahahahahaha We can continue price fixing one-hundred times the cost of a CD, and still keep our monopoly.” Damned Luddites.

"Perhaps they should put a label such as “hahahahahaha we now have a product that will keep idiot hackers from costing us money.” Perhaps they should put a label such as “hahahahahaha We can continue price fixing one-hundred times the cost of a CD, and still keep our monopoly.” Damned Luddites.

WHAT’S REALLY IRONIC IS THAT SONY, THE FOLKS THAT FOUGHT LIKE HELL TO BRING US THE BETAMAX AND HOME VIDEO RECORDING, NOW WANT TO STOP US FROM BACKING UP OUR CDs OR MAKING THEM MORE PORTABLE. AS FOR MUSIC SWAPPING SITES LIKE NAPSTER, THEY’RE LIKE COCKROACHES. STOMP ONE OR A HUNDRED, AND THERE ARE HUNDREDS OR THOUSANDS MORE HIDING IN THE WALLS, WAITING TO RAID THE KITCHEN WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT.

my mates son 11 years old put the new mj(bubbles owner)cd in to the cd then dragged the cda tracks over in to nero and hey presto perfect backup clever these macrovision blokes eh

As long as music is distributed on digital media, copy protection can be hacked, becuase when you get down to it, its ones and zeros.

Guys, dudes, dudettes, music lovers, hackers and anti-hackers worldwide. Respect!!!. You is wicked innit! Inspiration is contagious so wether you pay for your music or all you do is share your passion for this art form, you are part of the fertile ground on which the artistic spirit finds a foothold. I am in no doubt that musicians who love what they do (like myself) will continue to write, produce, record, listen to and enjoy being a part of this most precious and increasingly accessible breath of life. I for one welcome Safe Audio for, just like at Glastonbury, too many people getting a free ride spoils it for everybody. It becomes unsustainable. This was an inevitable attempt at course correction and nothing personal if somewhat erratic. I for one feel very fortunate to be part of a society that has access to this wealth of vibe and if this action by the music industry helps keep music alive then I’m all for it. Besides, a true lover loves the foreplay and this will sort the men from the boys! =0)

What! someone still buys CDS. You guys are way behind the times. Get you music online, like everyone else in the world 8

Is there a solution for Windows XP users? I own a CD using this technology and I just want to be able to make a copy for my car and some mp3 for my portable player!

This might be knew: At home I have a cd-rom player which is able to read cd’s protected with the Sony system (Key2Audio) probably because it doesn’t support Multisession disks. After installing cdfs.vxd to be able to copy SafeAudio disk the cd-rom player refused to read Key2Audiodisks… Strange for me but it might be useful for those amongs us trying to figure out the way the protections work… so good luck…

Coping your CD’s is NOT illegal (Home Recording Act 1989) - correct me if I’m wrong. We can change the format of any media we buy - DVD into VHS, CD into tape, CD into MP3. That is why the program that used to be out to rip dvds was taking away by Recording Industry, but courts decided we should be able to do it (the intent was to rip dvd onto HD, and then using video out to VHS)

Copy encryption? Stupid. AOL has proved to us all that cds are cheap. Artists (and the companies) need to realize there is a new shift. That musicians should put out their music for free, by the internet or with free cds. This is advertising. Then we pay to SEE THEM,or buy their merchandise, like stickers etc. Then they can WORK FOR A LIVING, by playing thier music. This is not a new concept. Look at videos, thats a give away by any standard. The jig is up, you who play music will make your money by working for it. Not sitting in a studio then hoping for big payoffs. BTW I know this isnt an easy concept for you musician types, but you are being raped by the industry supporting you. Joe.

This is what macrovision calls a copy protection!What a joke!Maybe they should be called microvision instead!I burned a safeaudio disk no problem with my sony cdu4821 reader and my acer 24x10a burner with nero the first time I tried it!Somebody actually payed for this protection!Ha Ha