Safe disc versions questions

What is the difference between safedisc 2.51, 2.6 and 2.8??

If a writer can copy safedisc 2.51 it is not say it can copy 2.8 exact?

If a writer can copy 2.51 is it sure it will copy 2.6??

If a writer can’t copy 2.8 may be it copy 2.51 exact?

If a writer can’t copy 2.8 it is not say it doesn’t support correct EFM, exact?

If a writer can copy 2.61 is it sure it will copy also 2.51??

If a writer can’t copy 2.51 may be it will copy 2.51??

If a writer can’t copy 2.6 is it sure it does’nt support correct EFM encoding??

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks
Andrea

SafeDisc versions all rely on certain patterns written in certain places, they change in different versions, the higher the version the more difficult the patterns are to write. Pretty much any 40 speed or higher Lite-On will cope in tht respect.

However that is not the whole story. SD 2.9 also checks for virtual drives and refuses to run the game if they are present. It even checks for ATIP hiding utilites like CloneCD’s ‘Hide CDR Media’ and will not run the game if they are active.

There are other checks too, like checking the Pre-Gap of the CD for certain info, but this is oftem defeated if the CD/DVD-ROM cannot read the pre-gap.

I’m sure it does nore than that, but I’ll leave someone with a better understaning of it to comment further.

thanks for explanations. Then if a writer can’t backup safedisc 2.8 may be it backup 2.51, exact? And if it can’t backuo 2.8 it is not say it doesn’t support correct EFM encoding, exact?
Andrea

Yes, that is correct.

Any writer that can support a newer safedics version, can support a predecessor version as well.

As newer versions came out, new add-ons to the guard module were implemented as Orinoco mentioned some.

To know if a writer or your writer is capable, well, there used to be a list of supported writers at the elby site, but CloneCD was sold and now that list may take a while to be ported over to its new developer.

Originally posted by xtacydima
[B]…

To know if a writer or your writer is capable, well, there used to be a list of supported writers at the elby site, but CloneCD was sold and now that list may take a while to be ported over to its new developer. [/B]

There’s a fairly up to date list of EFM capable writers on the Alcohol support site here:

http://forum.alcohol-software.com/index.php?showtopic=2196

Lazer.