Safe call

vbimport

Hi!
I have been using Skype for a long time, but an announcement shocked me, that Skype will give information to special agencies. I make a lot of calls, sometimes say some bad things, so I really don’t like that some one is listening to my conversation.
Are there other alternatives to Skype?
By an alternative I mean a feature to make an internet call, chat, maybe send files.
I don’t like when such a program belongs to a large company, that way it is too popular and some one might want to listen to my conversations too.
Google is full of applications that allow to make calls, but maybe some one uses one of them and is happy with it?

Hi regdude

As you already know there are always alternatives[B]!![/B] like Google and other ways to make calls, chat and send files over the Internet, however in this day and age of digital information there is little chance of finding real privacy.

There was an article a few years back about Skype monitoring calls (chat or video) and even recording some of them, and with the controversial business practices surrounding Google when it comes to privacy so there can be a trust concern there too.

Law enforcement and other such special agencies connected to governments have been given a much broader range when it comes to the surveillance of on-line and even offline data, this is mainly due to hackers and security breaches in companies, state and government agencies.

Course most people don’t have anything to worry about though because if there is any surveillance being done and you are not braking the laws any monitoring that may or not be in place will be short.

Tis just my .02¢ :cool:

[B]SJ[/B]

SJ & I were just discussing this .
Here are the stats : There are 660 million Skype users .
Try & figure how many man hours that would be everyday to listen to the recordings.
How many harddrives would be needed to fill everyday to keep everyones recorded calls ?
So unless you are a person of interest (meaning you are already under surveillance) You don’t need to worry. If you are then it doesn’t matter you can have an unlisted AT&T phone , used a scrambling device , & the government Will get a wire tap warrant & try to decode your conversations .

I have Skype ,I use it & I’m not worried I’m being wiretapped. Like the majority of people on Skype I’m just not that important to the government.

[QUOTE=cholla;2646003]SJ & I were just discussing this .
Here are the stats : There are 660 million Skype users .
Try & figure how many man hours that would be everyday to listen to the recordings.
How many harddrives would be needed to fill everyday to keep everyones recorded calls ?
So unless you are a person of interest (meaning you are already under surveillance) You don’t need to worry. If you are then it doesn’t matter you can have an unlisted AT&T phone , used a scrambling device , & the government Will get a wire tap warrant & try to decode your conversations .

I have Skype ,I use it & I’m not worried I’m being wiretapped. Like the majority of people on Skype I’m just not that important to the government.[/QUOTE]
It really wouldn’t take that much to buffer everything for a couple hours and scan it all for ‘keywords’. GoogleADs does it all the time…

Yeah[B]!![/B] Like I said most people have nothing to worry about.

As far as the amount of man hours it would take to monitor everybody, that wouldn’t be as high as you think cholla because as data is processed through the servers the data is scanned by filters (not humans) for key words and when there is a detection then and only then does a monitoring or surveillance begins on someone, this technique is being implemented by many if not all law enforcements and government agencies.

Again[B]!![/B]…Not breaking any laws then you have nothing to worry about.

[B]SJ[/B]

Yes, but Microsoft also seems to scan Skydrives, even if private and if they don’t like what they see, they block the account. Like Olyteddy says it’s not groundbreaking technology

[QUOTE=Bakst0ne;2646017]Yes, but Microsoft also seems to scan Skydrives, even if private and if they don’t like what they see, they block the account. Like Olyteddy says [B]it’s not groundbreaking technology[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes I know :iagree: there are many company’s that does this and your right its been going on for quite some time.

Well yes, chance that out of 600 000 000 users I could be the unlucky one is a bit impossible, but if local government is spying, then I’m pretty much screwed.
I started to search and couldn’t find anything bad about Goober Messenger.
Works on PC, Android and iPhone, so it is good to communicate with all my contacts.
Anyone has heard something bad about this messenger?