Sad Day - new PC build gone up in smoke

vbimport

well I went and got the PC all put together. I turned it on and almost instantly it shut off. I smelled smoke. It appears that one of the multi adapter power cables running to the SSD had a spare that was touching metal and it fried the cable and the SSD. I know it’s a long shot but I am attempting an RMA on the SSD to newegg. The good news is that the rest of the PC seems to power up and work (as much as it can without an HD/SSD), I can’t see any graphics on the screen but the power supply, fans and the processor fan on the mobo all run just fine. So hopefully a replacement will get me up and running.

Yo Jester-

Not good. A small piece of electrical tape on the unused power connectors would have saved the build.

We live and learn-eh.

Even without a harddrive you should get a BIOS screen when booting.
If you don’t more went wrong than just a fried SSD .

Crap, I was hoping it was just the SSD. Looks like $900 down the drain.

Oh crap! Sorry to hear this. In all the computer builds I have done over the years I have never had a disaster like this happen. Not that I am so thorough but just lucky. I am not familiar with the power leads you are referring to but it seems odd that a hot power lead would be somewhat insulated against this sort of short.

Well building a computer can be very rewarding, but you do have to have a good understanding and systematic patience. If you go down to the basics the POST should be the starting point. All you need for this is computer case, Power, Processor, Memory, and Graphics Card to get a Video display. Once you get this then you can add the rest, like HDD and DVD Drive to load your OS. If you have a top of the line Power Supply, you only add the leads you need and they are protected. :cool:

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2628203]well I went and got the PC all put together. I turned it on and almost instantly it shut off. I smelled smoke. It appears that one of the multi adapter power cables running to the SSD had a spare that was touching metal and it fried the cable and the SSD. I know it’s a long shot but I am attempting an RMA on the SSD to newegg. The good news is that the rest of the PC seems to power up and work (as much as it can without an HD/SSD), I can’t see any graphics on the screen but the power supply, fans and the processor fan on the mobo all run just fine. So hopefully a replacement will get me up and running.[/QUOTE]

So your saying a power cable (sata or molex?) has touched the computer case next to the SSD? If that’s what it boiled down to then I would think the PSU is dead (or just internal fuse blew). Can you test the SSD in another PC?

There is no electrical reason I can think of that a shrted power cable shoulf
fry any device that it is supplying power to…

The cable? Yes
The Power supply fuse? Yes.

The Power supply itself? No.

a “short” implies the power taking a “shorter path” than that which was intended to ground and the “device” is typically NOT in that path.

AD

I’d get another known good PSU and see if it tries to boot or at least gets the bios screen up.
I blew up two SCSI hard drives and a brand new 12x CDRW drive a long time ago when I was refiring my PC after changing some things around and realized I forgot to plug in the splitter that powered those three things. I just grabbed the loose cable plug and started to plug it back into the other half of the molex and I heard a pop and everything shut down. I had somehow plug the power plug barely in backwards and all the components on that half were killed. So I lost two SCSI hard drives with data and a new $350 burner that day:o:a
Luckily back then I had plenty of money to burn so I bought a new 12x Plextor to replace it and still have the two hard drive laying around in case I ever find replacement boards for them. Of course now I don’t have a SCSI card and the data would just be nostalgia as much as anything.

Sorry to hear you’re having a problem.
If you bought one of these 4 pin molex to SATA power extension leads then they are infamous for being wired incorrectly. If this is case, then you have a claim against the shop you bought it from, as i doubt they will accept an RMA for the SSD under these circumstances. Unless you bought the SSD and the molex to sata power adapter from the same place.

[QUOTE=Dee;2628492]If you bought one of these 4 pin molex to SATA power extension leads then they are infamous for being wired incorrectly. [/QUOTE]

Wow that’s a scary prospect, I wasn’t aware of that! :eek:

A friend of mine asked me about one of those recently.

I must check and see what he’s done.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The sad thing is that Is that my current PC I built from the ground up over the years and so I felt confident with this build. The thing that doesn’t make any sense is that it did power on when I disconnected the HD and it runs the fans just fine (including the processor) and shows that everything is working, it just won’t display everything on the screen. Even worse is that my blue-ray drive didn’t even get any power and although it didn’t smell like the SSD the plugs looked kind of whitish/grey like the SSD after it got fried. Either way, I am going to try and RMA it all (if nothing else it will get it all out of my spare bedroom, which has been a mess). If all else fails I will just save up and buy a pre-built machine. I just can’t afford to let things like this chance anymore. My wife said she saw a spark inside the case around the SSD when I first powered it up.

Yo Jester-

I am so sorry for your loss-

I have bought four ZT Systems from Costco - they are very reasonable - work really well and come with Costco TWO year warranty!!

Another thing - you have 45 days to try them out - and if you don’t like it for ANY reason - you can return it and get all your money back - including shipping and any taxes paid.

The ZT systems are only available from Costco online - not in the stores - www.costco.com

my hint is that the bios is gone bad with that electrical shortcut.
If you MB has a dual bios you should try tu use the backup bios if dont you need a eprom programer device to flash it.

I suggest trying another PSU first. As a PSU supplies various voltages, it is possible that the short has just blown blown a single voltage supply output. If let’s say a 5v output is blown, then anything relying on this affected output is not going to work, even though all the fans running on 12 volts all spin up fine.

I don’t know if it makes a difference but I tried all the various power supply plug-ins with the same result. I guess I need to look at the PSU as well.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2628593]I don’t know if it makes a difference but I tried all the various power supply plug-ins with the same result. I guess I need to look at the PSU as well.[/QUOTE]

Yo Jester-

Did it just happen to be a “Single Rail” type of PSU??

If so - I would definitely try another PSU.

I’d join my voice to bigmicke7 and strongly advise a test with different PSU to avoid possible complications.
No display means If my memory is correct either Memory problem or GPU issue (graphic card = if integrated then it’s the whole mobo), but taking in consideration the blu-ray drive not powering on, it’s more methodical to eliminate the PSU from the equation to get to the bottom if the issue.

some molex are cheaply made and the metalic pins slip out (need special attention when disconnecting or connecting them) and touch each other (experiencing this issue first hand with some cheap ebay molex to X4 3pin fan splitter connector) and need to be secured nicely with tape.

you could also anticipate testing with a different set of ram, or with ram at different ram slot etc …

I would also RE-test the SSD drive in different conditions or in a different tower.
Good luck.

On these boards, if you are using dual channel ram. You have to make sure they are in the correct memory sockets

example.
If you have two sticks of ram, and assuming you count the ram sockets FROM the CPU socket. The sticks of ram should be in sockets 2 and 4.
If they are in 1 and 3, or any other combination, you will just get a blank screen.

Either way I just RMA’ed everything except the case and the power supply. I probably should replace the power supply but I will have to see whether or not they will accept it back.