SACD Vs Hybrid SACD

I find it very confusing trying to determine which kinds of SACD discs can be played on standard CD players and which require SACD players. Does the disc specifically have to have the term “Hybrid SACD” associated with it to play on a standard CD player?

What about a “Single Layer Multichannel SACD” disc that doesn’t say Hybrid? Does that have to be played in a SACD player? If it’s the latter, what would happen if I tried to play it in a regular CD player?

I find that the biggest culprit in this confusion is SONY Corporation. They don’t specify which of their SACD discs can be played in regular CD players and which require SACD players. They also apparently don’t use the term “Hybrid” as near as I can tell.

Thanks for any input.

As far as I know, only the Hybrid disk can play on a regular cd player. If the Sony disks don’t say Hybrid, do they say CDDA, “Compact Disc Digital Audio”? If so, then they are Hybrid disks.

Not all Hybrid discs will be advertised as such or even labeled as such. But they will have the CD audio logo on the package and on the disc as well as the SACD logo.

Some players had problems playing them as well even if it has the cd audio on it as the disk was a bit thicker causing problems for some drives.
I just got a nice combo dvd player that can play any of the high res audio formats and it’s worked very well for me from any format including dvd movies and wasn’t expensive as it was a closeout on a high end Denon model.
Oppo and Pioneer make cheaper versions that also work very well if you decide to go that route down the road.