S3 Trio VGA compatibility

Guys do you know if i can use a S3 Trio VGA card on a rather newish motherboard? I am concerned about the voltages - dont want to burn anything - i just need a card that opens the monitor for word processing purposes.

I have two S3 cards both AGP - namely

1. S3 Trio 3D/2X 86C362
  2. S3 Trio 3D 86C365 (it doesnt mention 2x next to 3D)

I have even found drivers for windows XP.

The mobo is a Gigabyte Titan 478 socket with a Celeron 1800MHz.

So can i install either of them without exploding anything?

If yes, does anybody know the supported refresh rates? Couldnt find any specific specs on google.

im pretty sure if it fits it will work as AGP cards are all keyed,

but dont take my word for it please (dont wanna be responsible for any damage!)

check this site out

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

tankesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;1293535]Guys do you know if i can use a S3 Trio VGA card on a rather newish motherboard? I am concerned about the voltages - dont want to burn anything - i just need a card that opens the monitor for word processing purposes.

I have two S3 cards both AGP - namely

1. S3 Trio 3D/2X 86C362
  2. S3 Trio 3D 86C365 (it doesnt mention 2x next to 3D)

I have even found drivers for windows XP.

The mobo is a Gigabyte Titan 478 socket with a Celeron 1800MHz.

So can i install either of them without exploding anything?[/QUOTE]

Regrettably, no. Most Socket 478 mobos only accept 4x or 8x AGP cards, and the S3 Trio 3D only supports AGP 2x. In addition, the AGP voltages between 2x and 4x cards are mismatched (AGP 2x cards require 3.3V signaling, while AGP 4x and 8x cards use 1.5V signaling) - and using an older AGP card which is not AGP 2.0 compliant would result in a burnt-out card and motherboard (due to the motherboard’s AGP voltage regulators being severely overworked in order to deliver the required voltage to such an older card)! Also, the AGP slot in these Socket 478 motherboards are keyed to prevent a 2x-only card from even physically fitting the AGP slots.

Hi,

don’t you think, the problem is solved already - two years after the initial post was submitted? :wink:

[quote=mciahel;2043353]Hi,

don’t you think, the problem is solved already - two years after the initial post was submitted? ;)[/quote]Yep the problem is no more, but thanks for the elaborate answer anyways, someone else might be able to benefit from it :slight_smile: