S223Q Crossflash Success

vbimport

I just got a new SH-S223Q with SB00 firmware. I can’t update the firmware. I downloaded SH-S223Q_SB02 but I get the firmware is incompatible message. So I read about forcing the firmware update. I was wondering if any one has tried this on this specific drive and has it worked?
I want bitsetting and more but don’t want to ruin the drive. Thanks.

Hi,

upgrading from SB00 to a higher SB0x firmware should normally work without “forcing” flash.

Please run the wininquiry tool from Samsung (see firmware chapter of the FAQ in my signature please) and post the results here.

Also tell us, what Sata chipset is used to connect the drive.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2170351]Hi,

upgrading from SB00 to a higher SB0x firmware should normally work without “forcing” flash.

Please run the wininquiry tool from Samsung (see firmware chapter of the FAQ in my signature please) and post the results here.

Also tell us, what Sata chipset is used to connect the drive.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael:
First, thanks for responding.
I attached Wininquiry results and message I received when I ran SH-S223Q_SB02.exe. I also tried to use Samsung automatic updater and got a “not supported” message.
One thing I should make clear is the drive works. I read a couple CD and wrote a DVD with no issues. I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard and connected the drive to one of the Gigabyte Sata2 ports (IDE configuration). My hard drives are on the other regular Sata pairs. But I do have ports open. Just wasn’t sure of conflicts with the HDD’s.
Thanks
Bill

Michael

It’s okay now. I moved Sata connector to a “standard” coonection on the motherboard. Now I could update firmware to SB02.

thanks
Bill

Hi,[quote=wrj;2170587]
It’s okay now.[/quote]Nice, you got it sorted:)

I moved Sata connector to a “standard” coonection on the motherboard. Now I could update firmware to SB02.
The other controller is a Jmicron, which often causes trouble with optical drives (firmware update fails, bitsetting does not work, etc.)

Michael