Ok while there is a little risk involved in updating firmware on burners, it is really a pretty easy task. Dont update with a disk in the drive; dont hit the restart button while it is uploading to the drive… etc
I updated to SB01 without a hitch, the burner had a 100% 16x burn record. The only trouble I ever had was with nero7 and crappy media.
So… today when I go to update to SB02, I found that TSST tried to boil down firmware updates to the n00b level. Ala, their new auto “One Click Firmware Update”
- Used Wininquiry 1.03.1 to confirm Model and OEM Code: SH-S183L SB
- Downloaded and executed the firmware .exe “SH-S183L_SB02.exe”
- The program started, the drive activity light flickered, and it shut down without any explanation.
- I immediately checked Wininquiry… Under Version, it read: BOOT
- Restarted: Bios confirmed Version Boot
- Wininquiry Version: Boot, but the drive installed itself in XP
- Reran the firmware program… It started again and looked like it was going to upload… but it Failed four clicks into it and forced me to restart.
- Checked Wininquiry: Version SB02
I did this process twice. Same exact outcome both times. WTF?
The drive seems to be working fine, but what the hell is going on?
After this place, I am going to try TSSt support.