S-Video from Panasonic DMR-ES40V Not Working

vbimport

I have a Panasonic DVD VHS/DVD Player recorder.

I have the audio out cables connected to the audio in cables on video 1 (TV). I have a S-Video cable going from the Video Out on The Panasonic to the S-Video In on the TV. When playing a DVD I get sound but no picture using VIDEO-1. I have attempted Video-2, etc. but to no avail. Does anyone know what the problem may be (bad S-Video cable, wrong hook-up, etc. Any assistance would be appreciated. This problem is now driving me to the brink. I’m beginning to think it is time to toss this Panasonic unit. Thank you. :a

The things you mention could be factors. Another might be that the TV’s default setting for S-Video inputs is “OFF.” Check the TV’s setup/configuration menus to determine if the S-Video input is activated.

The DMR-ES40V rear panel connections are seen in the first photo. The second photo shows the upper portion of page 14 in the DMR-ES40V Operating Instructions. Notice that the only S-Video output is a DVD priority output. The other S-Video connection is an input.

I have tried what you mentioned and verified my TV is set to AUTO for all Video Inputs. I was able to connect a DVD player using RCA cables for audio L and R and VIDEO to the TV and that worked fine. Any other suggestions? Thanks. :doh:

Does your dvd player also have a S-video output? If so you should try that to verify your cable or TVs S-video input is good. Also try playing a VHS tape, I believe the DVD side will only come out of the S-video output if you select DC or are viewing the DVD side with it’s input being the VHS side(or at least this is how the ES-30v(same year as your ES-40v) operates).
I’ve never had a bad S-video output jack but have had a bad S-video cable. At the right store S-video cables are <$4. I just bought a few spares the other day at Menards for $3.49 and they work great.

Thanks to all who have responded. I ran a few tests using RCA cables and S-Video cable and the net is this Panasonic is going to be tossed and I am going to make a new purchase. It lasted longer then expected and I decided it is time to make the move to a new unit. It doesn’t transmit picture whatsoever, only sound. :iagree:

[QUOTE=joev;2529711]Thanks to all who have responded. I ran a few tests using RCA cables and S-Video cable and the net is this Panasonic is going to be tossed and I am going to make a new purchase. It lasted longer then expected and I decided it is time to make the move to a new unit. It doesn’t transmit picture whatsoever, only sound. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

The DMR-ES40V, if its still otherwise functional, might bring in $25-$40 through a Craig’s List sale. Listing is free. If you have a digital camera adding a photo is easy enough.

The VXY1867 model DVD Drive used in the ES40 is the same as used in other 2005 model year Panasonics. (The models with hard drives may use a different model DVD Drive.) Due to its bugs and design flaws my ES40 has had little use (around 355 recording hours) since I purchased it new in December 2005. I keep the ES40 primarily as a parts source for the four heavily used 2005 DMR-ES30V models in our household. One of those ES30 models has more than 4,600 recording hours; another has around 3,200 recording hours with the other two not quite so heavily used.