S-203B freeze during flash - Version BOOT

vbimport

I tried to update from B00 to B03 with the Samsung exe firmware.
After long time “pls wait” I made a reset and feature now a version called “boot”.
What can I do now.

tks for your advise
Klaus

Just re-flash it again. The “BOOT” version indicate that the previous update was not sucessful for some reason.

Hint: download the firmware file and the flasher again from the Samsung website. http://www.samsungodd.com

seems not to work - tried 2 times; after several minutes of “wait” status, it seems to flash, but remains to BOOT version.
And:
Eject does no longer works; every few seconds the drive seems to turn up; during wait and flash process the computer nearly freezes and hangs up during power down. I guess it is done :-((

What SATA chipset / controller your motherboard uses ? if this controller is configured at AHCI or RAID mode this can disturb the flashing process.

If possible try flashing the drive in another computer and be sure that the SATA controller is configured ( in BIOS ) as IDE compatible. Another possibility is to use an USB to SATA enclosure ( or adapter ) to flash the firmware.

In my tests with SH-S203B i’m unable to flash it sucessfully using an SATA controller configured as RAID mode.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard KlsG. :iagree::clap:
Check your connections just in case these are responsible in some way.
But it does look like your drive is screwed.
Try flashing in safe mode too.
Good luck.

This has happened to me a couple of times. I waited what I thought was long enough on the flash, then shutdown the flash utility, restarted the computer, it came back as boot drive, fired up the flash utility again & reflashed, then restarted the computer again, everything came back fine. I agree with trying it in safe mode & make sure there are no discs in the drive.

tkx for you comments.
It is a Gigabyte 8KNXP board with SIlicon SATA/Raid Controller.
I have tried the save mode - unfotunately with same result.
There is a second Desktop sttill to try out. However first I need to find some spare power connectors.
I gues tomorrow I will try to get a replace drive. If there is just a weekend between, they are usually cooperative.
I am a bit afraid however what to do with the next one with B00 fware :-()

Is it usual, that there is 12 minutes waiting and partially cursor freeze before initiating the flashing?
My previous S182 flashed one minute after “waiting process”.

rgds

Hi :slight_smile:
Never timed it, but the flashing period should be similar.
The 182 is IDE IIRC.
Make sure your SiliconImage controller is set to non-raid.
This may mean flashing the bios, then installing the driver compatable with CD/DVDRW’s.

thx, I am a lucky guy now, again.
Flashing on the other desktop worked like a charm :-))
It is an elder PC; Gigybyte main and silicon Sata/Raid controller as well. Curious thing is, that this machine has a 2 disc raid array - so raid wasn’t even deactivated.

I will nerve the Samsung hotline with this question in case they answer my call :wink:

Thanks again to you all; I would not have the idea so soon to try safe mode or another machine !

Ahhh and I finished my first DL disc Ritec D004 (I believe) 8x, burned 4x on this S203 with Q84 and 3345 PI mainly in the 2nd layer. Rather even distribution of the pattern. I think I can live allright with that.

Klaus

Had same problems here so i’m going to post my situation hoping someone else has benefit of it.

I bought a S203B drive also, installed it on a promise PCI controller card with an extra HDD i had spare.

After burning a few discs (5x) and watching the latest disc i burned (max speed verbatim) it was acting strange and skipping whole the time in standalone dvd player.
So i burned it over at 8x, but burned layer didn’t looked well imo but played fine now (light and dark circle’s, my previous plextor had the same changed it 3 times).

So i decided to flash it to B03, downloaded FW flashed it, reboot and gone was drive and flash bank said BOOT.
Flashing it again maybe something went wrong but everything went fine before, still BOOT.
Flashing again but then with B02, still BOOT
Disconnected all S-ATA drives i have in system except OS that is S-ATA also, burner still on PCI controller and OS on main S-ATA port.
Flashing again still BOOT (now i was getting pissed off)
Again with lower FW and still the same.
Picked different cable and flashing again, still nothing.
Booted in save mode, flashing again, nothing.
Checked wires and decided to plug in drive next to OS drive on dedicated S-ATA port ( not on my asus p4c deluxe onboard promise controller what it was 1 step back)
Booted system, noticed new hardware ( i thought i was lucky) still BOOT :frowning:
Flashed it 1 more time before i was going to trash drive and voila it finaly worked with B03.

Short version from above is imo that the S203B doesn’t like it to be flashed when it’s connected to controller card instead of real S-ATA port. I have no RAID settings, all is configured as IDE

-update- This is the first time i have such trouble getting FW upgraded, is that normal behavior for S-ATA drives, because IDE’s went like a charm against my S-ATA experience.

[quote=raz0rblad3;2017240]Had same problems here so i’m going to post my situation hoping someone else has benefit of it.

I bought a S203B drive also, installed it on a promise PCI controller card with an extra HDD i had spare.[/quote]
Most Promise controllers don’t work very well with optical drives.

Short version from above is imo that the S203B doesn’t like it to be flashed when it’s connected to controller card instead of real S-ATA port. I have no RAID settings, all is configured as IDE
This is not a drive issue, it’s a problem with the controller. Most PCI Sata controllers are optimised for HDDs.

-update- This is the first time i have such trouble getting FW upgraded, is that normal behavior for S-ATA drives, because IDE’s went like a charm against my S-ATA experience.
Safest bet at the moment are PCI Sata controllers with Silicon Image chipset and Base BIOS applied.

Additional remark: My onboard Promise PDC 20579 does fine with my 203B, but it fails with P-ATA drives. I nearly lost my 182 when I tried to update the firmware.

Michael