RX-V565 HD Audio?

vbimport

So I’ve recently purchased the Yamaha RX-V565. So far i love it, BUT…

how can i tell if i am getting TRUE HD SOUND (DOLBY True HD,DTSA HD Master) or even just regular DOLBY DIGITAL surround sound? and not just separated channel sound (not sure of the term, but basically stereo or 2.1 sound forced to 5 channels)?

my old Sony receiver had a little “Dolby Digitial” lcd light that would light up when i was streaming DD sound… this new amp doesnt have anything like that so how DO i know if i am getting the sound i want… especially for BluRays and other HD content. I am using HDMI for everything too. all that it ever tells me is either “HDMI” or “5 or 7 Channel Enhanced” which makes me think that i am not getting my true HD sound decoded… any thoughts?

thanks in advance!

Read your manual. :flower:
The “info” button on the remote will toggle through several displays on the front panel. If you want this on the OSD, the “option” button allows you to arrow down to “signal info” where the type and number of channels are displayed.

Dan knows the Yamahas well so this may be in vain. Make sure you have your BD player is set to HDMI audio bitstream. If your player is doing the decoding all you will get is multichannel or PCM on the receiver display.

[B]

What is Linear PCM? …and What is Bitstream??

In laymans terms…think of it this way:

Linear PCM is used when the audio is decoded inside the Player first, and then sent to the Receiver.

Bitstream, is used when the Player does not touch the audio…instead it is left in its raw form and sent to the Receiver, where it is then decoded by the Receiver.

To make a long story short, its just two ways to transfer audio from the Player to Receiver…just a different route taken and theoretically the same in the end.

With that being said let me start off with Multichannel Analog, as its pretty easy concept to understand.

Multichannel Analog

To hear Lossless audio through Multichannel Analog, you need a Player that has Internal decoding capability and Multichannel Analog outputs. (every Bluray player I can think of has these outputs except for the PS3) paired with any Receiver that has multichannel analog inputs.

Each channel is transferred through a single standard RCA cable. So for a 5.1 setup, you would need 6 single RCA cables.(for 7.1 setup you would need 8).

Also, If it cannot be decoded by the player, then you will not hear that specific codec. For example, the Sony BD-S1 can internally decode Dolby TrueHD. But it cannot decode Dts-HD Master. So with the multichannel analog connection, you could hear TrueHD but not Dts-HD Master (only the “core”).

Using an HDMI connection is more simple in that it only requires one single cable. But there are some speedbumps (if you will) to its use.

First, you can transfer Lossless audio over an HDMI cable in either Linear PCM or Bitstream format.

In order to utilize Linear PCM through HDMI…you must have an HDMI v1.1 (or higher) Receiver that accepts HDMI audio. Also your Player must be able to decode the formats Internally. Everything that can, will be decoded inside the Player first and sent to the Receiver. It will also be displayed as “PCM” or “Multichannel” on the Receiver.

Bitstream through HDMI is a little trickier as it requires that you have all hdmi v1.3 connections. The Player must be HDMI v1.3 compliant and posses the ability to Bitstream the Lossless audio signal (not all players do) and you must have a Receiver that is HDMI v1.3 compliant that can decode the audio formats as well. This will be displayed on the Receiver with its natural format name…ex. “Dolby TrueHD”
[/B]

This list is old but you get the point.

[B]Link[/B]: http://www.idoblu.co.uk/page2%20Blu-ray%20Players.html

perfect… i knew someone here would be able to help me out… i’ll check this out when i get home tonight…
Thanks so much for the help!
makes perfect sense now…

ok for my bd player here are my settings. If i want my receiver to do all of the decoding, is this right?

Audio Setup:
Dolby digital - Set to Dolby Digital (NOT Downmix PCM)
DTS - Set to DTS (NOT Downmix PCM)
DTS Downmix - Set to Stereo (NOT Lt/Rt)
Audio HDMI - Set to Auto (NOT PCM)

does this look correct if i want my amp to do the decoding? The only reason i ask is because above it said i should have it set to bitstream, but i dont have that option.
Thanks again for the help!

If you posted the model of your player then someone could do an independent check on your settings…

Guessing you have a PS3 for a Blu ray player? If so just leave it on PCM and hit the display button(ps3 remote) while you are playing the movie and it will tell what audio format the player is de-coding. If not a PS3 this setting should be: Audio HDMI - Set to [B]Bitstream[/B] (NOT PCM). PS3 will not bitsteam DTS HD MA or True DD IIRC.

no PS3 but i do have a Sony BDP-S300. And like i said… there is no BITSTREAM option which is why i was confused…Does that help?

I just checked the Sony Manual for your model and there is no Bitstream output option available…You do have the option to update the firmware to the latest version for internal decoding of Dolby True HD Audio and then output as 5.1 lossless PCM audio but unfortunately your Yamaha has no multi-channel input capability…It looks like you’re going to have to live with the limitations or spend some money to upgrade either your player or receiver…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2474886]I just checked the Sony Manual for your model and there is no Bitstream output option available…You do have the option to update the firmware to the latest version for internal decoding of Dolby True HD Audio and then output as 5.1 lossless PCM audio but unfortunately your Yamaha has no multi-channel input capability…It looks like you’re going to have to live with the limitations or spend some money to upgrade either your player or receiver…[/QUOTE]

The Yamaha is fully capable of accepting up to 7.1 PCM over HDMI.

[QUOTE=CDan;2474894]The Yamaha is fully capable of accepting up to 7.1 PCM over HDMI.[/QUOTE]

But the Sony isn’t capable of HD Audio over HDMI except via PCM and it’s not indicated as such on the Yamaha, the OP’s original concern…
EDIT:
If he wants the pretty light then he should upgrade his player…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2474886]unfortunately your Yamaha has no multi-channel input capability…[/QUOTE]

so in laymen’s terms, with my current BD Player, i cant get HD audio (DOLBY True HD or DTSA HD Master) over HDMI? i would need a new player then, is that right? My current AVR is good to go tho, correct? i want everything over hdmi, no multichannel inputs please. 1 wire to rule them all! i got this bd player as a hand me down. it didnt cost me anything. and its about 2 years old with no manual. do most bd players now a days run bitstream then? thanks again for all of the help!

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2475144]so in laymen’s terms, with my current BD Player, i cant get HD audio (DOLBY True HD or DTSA HD Master) over HDMI? i would need a new player then, is that right? My current AVR is good to go tho, correct? i want everything over hdmi, no multichannel inputs please. 1 wire to rule them all! i got this bd player as a hand me down. it didnt cost me anything. and its about 2 years old with no manual. do most bd players now a days run bitstream then? thanks again for all of the help![/QUOTE]

If you update the player firmware, you will have Dolby TrueHD decoding ability, but not DTS-MA decoding in the player. Since DTS-MA is now the default standard for BD discs, this is somewhat of a limitation. However, the alternate audio stream for those DTS-MA discs will be DTS surround at 1.5 Mb, which is very high quality.

A newer player will likely offer both decoding and bitstreaming of both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA, either of which your Yamaha can handle over HDMI.

The Yamaha can handle anything that your player is capable of sending over HDMI. “Decoding” in the player means it will send multichannel PCM over HDMI instead of bitstreaming the audio. There’s no difference in audio quality between bitstream and Multichannel PCM.

ok. but i would prefer to let my AVR decode everything tho. Cant i do that?

Are you saying, as is, i cant have that happen? I still need another bluray player for that? i was under the assumption that as long as my amp could decode those HD streams, i could use any bluray player (with or without decoding capabilities). That’s why i bought the 565 (for the HD DTS & Dolby TrueHD).

So am i screwed here then, as is? or am i ok? obviously, im still lost. Sorry

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2475190]ok. but i would prefer to let my AVR decode everything tho. Cant i do that?

Are you saying, as is, i cant have that happen? I still need another bluray player for that? i was under the assumption that as long as my amp could decode those HD streams, i could use any bluray player (with or without decoding capabilities). That’s why i bought the 565 (for the HD DTS & Dolby TrueHD).

So am i screwed here then, as is? or am i ok? obviously, im still lost. Sorry[/QUOTE]

You have an older player that does not support HD audio bitstreaming. Nevertheless, the alternate audio streams will be bitstreamed and will sound extremely good. Most people can’t tell the difference on most audio systems.

But if you must have HD audio bitstreaming, find a new BD player.

[QUOTE=CDan;2475296]You have an older player that does not support HD audio bitstreaming. Nevertheless, the alternate audio streams will be bitstreamed and will sound extremely good. Most people can’t tell the difference on most audio systems.

But if you must have HD audio bitstreaming, find a new BD player.[/QUOTE]

so my player DOES bitstream then? i thought it didnt according to someone before. now im confused again. So it DOES bitstream just not HD Audio then? or it doesnt bitstream at all? i thought it was all PCM only for me… thanks again and sorry for my lack of knowledge on this… i thought i knew more than i did apparently. :bow:

Like Dan says your player does not support bitstream for the newer HD codecs. If you set your HDMI to auto and throw in a DTS HD MA disc and the receiver shows DTS somewhere then it is bitstreaming the core DTS but not DTS HD MA. I’m not familiar with your Sony player but if I set my PS3 to bitstream it will only give me core DTS when playing a DTS HD MA movie. Like stated earlier you will be hard pressed to tell the difference in DTS and DTS HD MA. I had a Samsung 1400 BD player that when introduced did not support DTS HD MA bitstream but they fixed that with a firmware update, guess sony couldn’t do that with yours due to hardware or other reasons. BD players are pretty cheap nowadays, so if you have to have the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master light up on your receiver a new BD player is your only choice. Good luck.

ok. thanks for clearing that up… looks like im on the hunt for a new player now. call me rediculous, but the hd sound was the whole reason i bought a new receiver… so if im not even getting that hd sound, i couldve just stuck with my old one… whether i can hear a difference or not, id rather at least have the capability of it.

so, 1 last question then… how do i know if a new bdplayer i am looking at will do what i want it to do? what specs do i need to look for? will it SAY bitstream? or do i just need it to say it DECODES the hd streams? thanks again

I just picked this one at random (Not recommending it!) and went to the specs. If you scroll to Audio on the attached pdf you will see:
AUDIO
Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital+, Dolby
Digital True-HD, DTS®, DTS®-HD HRA,
DTS®-HD MA, LPCM, HD bitstream
output, Re-encoding, dual decoding

So the specs on any player should tell you. You should be pretty safe nowadays as most players have the capability to bitstream HD Audio.

BD-P1600.pdf (290 KB)