Rumor: Windows 10 to become a cloud based OS

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Rumor: Windows 10 to become a cloud based OS[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2009/09/windows7.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/rumor-windows-10-to-become-a-cloud-based-os-68623/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If this is true, I guess MS is willing to risk its dominance as an OS in order to gain more control over its customers and how they use their computers. The debacle known as Windows 8 seems to not have resonated with them at all. At MS, history does repeat itself over and over again.

This can´t work, I guess.

[QUOTE=UTR;2698123]If this is true, I guess MS is willing to risk its dominance as an OS in order to gain more control over its customers and how they use their computers. The debacle known as Windows 8 seems to not have resonated with them at all. At MS, history does repeat itself over and over again.[/QUOTE]I’m not sure what is sadder. The fact that MS seems so completely clueless or that the Linux community can’t get their act together and offer a viable Linux desktop OS replacement to take advantage of MS’s frequent puzzling OS missteps. Clearly it’s possible to make a *nix OS that’s ready for mainstream adoption. Apple made a viable desktop OS out of *nix. Google took *nix and made a viable mobile OS out of it.

[QUOTE=UTR;2698123]…I guess MS is willing to risk its dominance as an OS in order to gain more control over its customers…[/QUOTE]
This is a confusing issue for me, as well. I’m not sure if they are risking their “dominance over customers & computer usage” or if they’ve been drinking too much koolaid, isolated in some diseased jungle.

But “no longer needing powerful hardware” is either a guillotine to hardware engineers and resellers, or software companies are waking up to the realization that no one’s REALLY doing anything too differently for the last, oh, 20 years on their computers. Data entry is still field-to-field typing. Letters to Mom look exactly the same. Ordering, invoices, billings, tax functions, spreadsheets, slideshows. Nothing but the colors have changed.

Will we need the 387 math co-processor chip on the 386 motherboards?

Jim Jones set his gunsels out at night to shoot up the jungle, for weeks on end, and would welcome them back the next morning with lies about how they “defended” Jonestown from CIA attacks. I can’t wait to hear the Ballmerians dredge up the same tactic.

IMO, the root of all this control that MS wants to exert over its customers is the drive for profits. Once they control how a person uses their computers, and they hold most of that user’s data on their servers, they will nickel and dime us to death. If you don’t pay their extortion your data will be wiped or using their OS will be highly restricted. MS seems Hell bent on turning everyone’s desktop into a smart phone from a functionality aspect. I guess they have been watching Apple make silly amounts of profit from their customers and they want some of that action themselves. What they fail to realize is that Windows users are not like Apple users when it comes to being controlled and digging into out wallets and purses every five minutes.

My prediction is that this is going to work out very badly for MS if this is their long term strategy.

Edit: BTW, I have a Windows smart phone and I can’t wait to dump it for an Android phone. I sure as heck don’t want my desktop emulating my crappy phone in any respect.

Also, I find all this “cloud” crap as a major risk to productivity. I guess when Internet service goes down everyone might as well take a long lunch or go home early. I prefer my data to be on a device I can physically put my eyes on. Imagine the damage a talented hacker could do if they got access to a cloud network and wanted to do some permanent data deletion.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2698134]I’m not sure what is sadder. The fact that MS seems so completely clueless or that the Linux community can’t get their act together and offer a viable Linux desktop OS replacement to take advantage of MS’s frequent puzzling OS missteps. Clearly it’s possible to make a *nix OS that’s ready for mainstream adoption. Apple made a viable desktop OS out of *nix. Google took *nix and made a viable mobile OS out of it.[/QUOTE]

IMO, this will happen if MS keeps pushing us to an OS we don’t want. If the capitalist system is still working, then someone will exploit the demand for an OS based in the older Windows OS working model.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2698134]I’m not sure what is sadder. The fact that MS seems so completely clueless or that the Linux community can’t get their act together and offer a viable Linux desktop OS replacement to take advantage of MS’s frequent puzzling OS missteps. Clearly it’s possible to make a *nix OS that’s ready for mainstream adoption. Apple made a viable desktop OS out of *nix. Google took *nix and made a viable mobile OS out of it.[/QUOTE]Well said. :clap:

I won’t be risking my person data on any cloud service, period!

And we might remember that, just two weeks ago, Microsoft’s OUTLOOK.COM was down for three days. THREE days. “Cloud” or “cloudy” services?

Perhaps the hardware industry is admitting they’ve hit some wall of future-services. Maybe that was AMD’s conclusion - “Our engineers simply aren’t good enough to create better CPUs, so we’re giving up.”

Apple’s Mac success has been falling, and quite some time. In the early 2000s, their last bastion of dominance - graphics-editing - was dropped by those vendors to favor Windows Development first, Mac Development last. Then the CGI craze went big time and that was mostly Linux - and has been. No big company is doing CAD, CGI, graphics on Macs first and foremost. And desktop publishing - the Mac’s “diversified” marketplace - evaporated with the coming of the Paperless Fantasyland but the very real PDF-Web-Based layouts.

Maybe Hardware is finished, or soon will be, and we’ll be reduced to toys and gagdets. Despite 3 James Bond films where he’s apparently saved the world using his smart-phone, he and his pals still had to occasionally sit at a real keyboard to accomplish something.

I just get the feeling that the iToy phenom will run its course, too.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2698147]And we might remember that, just two weeks ago, Microsoft’s OUTLOOK.COM was down for three days. THREE days. “Cloud” or “cloudy” services?[/QUOTE]

Great example! On a personal note I am pissed at MS over this even though I don’t use Outlook. My wife’s Windows phone was unable to get her work email sync’ed to her phone. Even after the fix was supposed to be in place, she (or her IT department) still couldn’t make her phone sync. The reason I am pissed is because I gave her MY phone upgrade to get an Android phone. The new phone was sync’ed to her work email within minutes of getting it connected to the Internet. Now I have to wait another nine months to ditch this POS Windows phone. :sad:

Lol. Windows Mobile OS has always been a back bencher.

Also agree that dumbing down an os to retain profits through ongoing cloud subscriptions is going to backfire something fierce.

I’m not sure why everyone is down on Linux, there are many viable desktop OSs based on Linux. The only problem is Windows compatibility, in particular, games (which are very demanding on hardware/software apis), and very expensive work packages (that no one can get their hands on for development purposes).

If you want to talk viability, point fingers at the software developers.

If things stay the same as they are now (at that future date), our only hope is if we can manage to get pre-W10 OS’ (Vista, Windows 7&8) drivers for new hardware.
Maybe the hardware makers will have enough common sense not to chain themselves to a cloud-based OS.

That is a being presumptuous to think that everyone that uses a computer is always online and/or has fast connections.

Which brings the question that needs to be asked, why did they fire Ballmer?
After all, evidently he was moving the company in the direction they wanted to go.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2698190]Which brings the question that needs to be asked, why did they fire Ballmer?
After all, evidently he was moving the company in the direction they wanted to go.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he failed to convince the cattle (us) to go willingly to the slaughter house (cloud/Metro based OS).

I think the real roadmap is going to show that “cloud services” are merely a tracking method, a way to get per-use payments and constant-subscriber fees associated with computers, like cell-phones have. And that Microsoft isn’t confusing the two industries, but insisting we adopt. And pay for it.

Their promises to vendors will be extravagant - just like they always are. “Join us! This new ___ service will make you richer than ever before!” (Joining them only takes initial payments from the vendors, plus a slice of their revenue, too. Yes, “extravagant” will be one word for Microsoft’s tactics.)

Win9 appears to be one more attempt to get the WinStore & Apps Services to work properly - no new OS service works great the first version. Or Version Point One.

Win10 will probably finally get us to that point.

I think I’ll pull out SOYLENT GREEN and see who’s shoveling what down who’s throat.

Looks like they’re going down the same road as Adobe…

I guess we’ll have W7 for a long time, despite M$ efforts to get more cash out of us…

Then I will surely abandon Windows–frack the cloud!

Computers are now cheaper than they have ever been so what expensive hardware are we talking about? The ease with which the government will be able to spy on its citizens is so much more magnified when everything is centrally located. Not to mention, MS will be able to see everything you do on the computer if the majority of the functionality is on their server.

I prefer my software running locally, thank you very much…

Where is the sponsored by NSA-logo?

Screw the cloud. I don’t want anything to do with it. I don’t use it on my Apple devices and don’t want it in my Windows O/S. Its overy-hyped and good for specific use.
It goes hand in hand with subscription based software which I think is a total crock (hello Adobe).