Rumor: Wii 2 with HD and Blu-ray launching in 2011?

vbimport

Rumor: Wii 2 with HD and Blu-ray launching in 2011?.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/uuA2p2.jpg[/newsimage]There is a new wave of rumors discussing the possible release of a Nintendo Wii 2 game console that will include high-definition content and Blu-ray Disc support.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/rumor-hd-wii-2-with-blu-ray-launching-in-2011-32996/](http://www.myce.com/news/rumor-hd-wii-2-with-blu-ray-launching-in-2011-32996/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

When is Nintendo going to realize that the Wii sucks? The only thing it’s good for is porting ScummVm to.

The common perception is that the Wii is just a toy. They are in dire need of a hardware upgrade in order to compete better with PS3 and Xbox 360. Who wants to play pixelly low resolution games?

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2537384]The common perception is that the Wii is just a toy. They are in dire need of a hardware upgrade in order to compete better with PS3 and Xbox 360. Who wants to play pixelly low resolution games?[/QUOTE]

I find that last sentence rather entertaining. I obviously don’t speak for the mainstream gamer, but I enjoy games of the 90’s. ScummVm (what I mentioned before) is an interpretor for games using the Scumm (and similar) engines. What do you think LucasArts was making before the seemingly endless supply of Star Wars titles? Do a minute of research and I assure you that you’ll be shocked.

Anyway, the real reason I think the Wii sucks is that you aren’t using standard controllers. I find the motion control very annoying. It’s harder to play games because you need to bring physical action into them. You can’t just have the four main buttons at the tip of your thumb. I think that there’s a reason the PS3 was made to use traditional controllers.

While I’m not a fan of the series, I’ve played multi-player mode on one of the newer CoD games on both the Xbox and the Wii. I found it idiotic that only one player can move around in the Wii version. Where’s the second character? Is he sitting on the other’s shoulders?

One final note is that I find it hard to even select options in the menus of the Wii and its games. You need to have a VERY steady arm/hand.

Okay, what I should’ve said is “Who wants to play low resolution pixelly games on a high definition television?”

I’ve obviously enjoyed many low resolution games in times past, including pong! But with the proliferation of HDTV’s in current times, it almost hurts your eyes to go backwards when you’re used to enjoying High Definition content.

Playing a wii on a HDTV takes me back to my childhood … when I bloyed with lego …

Lots of Blocks :wink:

I have no trouble whatsoever using the wii … although admittedly, I have to duck a little to get my arm to the right height for the sensor to pick up the controller properly when navigating menus …

If you’re having trouble using the menu’s, have you tried adjusting the wii sensor - in the software / menu?

Rather play a low res game that’s good rather than a high res game that’s crap. There’s some people out there that won’t play the Wii because it’s standard def, but they are missing out on some good games.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2537395]Okay, what I should’ve said is “Who wants to play low resolution pixelly games on a high definition television?”

I’ve obviously enjoyed many low resolution games in times past, including pong! But with the proliferation of HDTV’s in current times, it almost hurts your eyes to go backwards when you’re used to enjoying High Definition content.[/QUOTE]

The newer Wii games have actually surprised me. They still don’t compare to the graphics of Xbox 360 & PS3, but they’ve come a LONG way since the Wii was first released. Still cartoonish, but not pixelated like I remembered.

(Note: Just got a Wii last month. Comparison is to friend’s systems bought shortly after Wii release.)

This comment is based solely on observation, since I don’t really play games on any of the consoles. My son has a Wii and an XBox 360. He mostly uses the XBox, but occassionally uses the Wii as a change of pace. It looks to me like the games he plays on the XBox have their different characters, different weapons, and different scenery, but the actual game play itself, they’re all basically the same game. It seems to me that the Wii has a bigger variety of games that are actually not just different variations of the same game.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2537519]This comment is based solely on observation, since I don’t really play games on any of the consoles. My son has a Wii and an XBox 360. He mostly uses the XBox, but occassionally uses the Wii as a change of pace. It looks to me like the games he plays on the XBox have their different characters, different weapons, and different scenery, but the actual game play itself, they’re all basically the same game. It seems to me that the Wii has a bigger variety of games that are actually not just different variations of the same game.[/QUOTE]

That’s actually what I hate most bout modern gaming; especially the Call of Duty franchise. The same game is being sold over and over. A new game in the series seems to come out every year. At that rate, real thought can’t be put into making the game good. Rather, they take everyone for idiots by making the graphics really good and spending no time on the storyline or perfecting gameplay.

I personally like to stay away from any first person shooters. Just about the only series I can stand is the Half-Life franchise. Tons of thought is put into creating outstanding story lines. The game isn’t senseless running around and shooting. You constantly have to solve puzzles to progress. The environment is very interactive (especially in the second game). Hell, they even bother to throw in a physics engine for the second game. I understand that by today’s standards, the graphics of the original Half-Life and its expansions are “crap”, but I’d sacrifice good graphics for a great game any day.

By the way, I don’t own any of these consoles either. The only console I’ve ever owned is the Sega Dreamcast, which I still use today. (Yes, I know that almost all of the Dreamcast games sucked, but its homebrew abilities are amazing. You don’t even need a mod chip).

[QUOTE=Grim107;2537389]
Anyway, the real reason I think the Wii sucks is that you aren’t using standard controllers. I find the motion control very annoying. It’s harder to play games because you need to bring physical action into them. You can’t just have the four main buttons at the tip of your thumb. I think that there’s a reason the PS3 was made to use traditional controllers.
[/QUOTE]You do realize that “very annoying” motion control is the Wii’s biggest selling point? ‘The Force Unleashed’ and ‘MadWorld’ wouldn’t be near as much fun if all I was doing was mashing buttons.

If it’s just blu-ray support who cares…
If it’s a more substantial GPU/CPU overhaul wake me up please!

[QUOTE=GotBeer?;2537696]You do realize that “very annoying” motion control is the Wii’s biggest selling point? ‘The Force Unleashed’ and ‘MadWorld’ wouldn’t be near as much fun if all I was doing was mashing buttons.[/QUOTE]
Or wii sports … or raving rabbids … or mario kart … or mario galaxy … or … or …or …or … or … the list goes on …

[QUOTE=Grim107;2537389]
[/QUOTE]

And that’s why my daughters love playing games on the Wii. They play it more than the Xbox 360 or the PS2.

As mentioned before . . . it wouldn’t be as much fun to bowl if all you did was press X and O.

slight interactive game play is the ploy and the plight.

this gives mass market advantage and core rebuttal.

all three consoles see this advantage.

only time will revel true interactive play as the future.