Rumor: the next PlayStation console could cripple used games

vbimport

Rumor: the next PlayStation console could cripple used games.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/03/81nxl3.jpg[/newsimage]Sony's apparently taking the threat of used game sales and piracy seriously. According to one insider, the company is backing a new type of digital rights management for its next PlayStation gaming console which would limit how much consumers get out of second-hand games.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/rumor-the-next-playstation-console-could-cripple-used-games-60800/](http://www.myce.com/news/rumor-the-next-playstation-console-could-cripple-used-games-60800/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why does a console need a resolution of 4096×2160 resolution when its going to be plugged into a 1080p tv. Seems like overkill. I really don’t see 4k tv’s taking off. 1080p is pretty good up to 100inches. How big do they thing average home tv sizes are going to get?

As for trying to kill used games. I can understand why they do it. They don’t get a cut of used games sells. On the other hand theres a big segment of hardcore gamers that buy a game for 60, finish it, then flip it for 40-50 dollars. Then use the funds they got to buy more games. You’re only going to diminish their ability to buy more new games. So really your going to just piss people off.

This would mean you can’t just bring a game to a friends house either. You have to bring your whole console. If the Wii-U is the only console that isn’t full of BS in the next gen, I could see them doing well. Assuming its more powerful then a 360 … lol.

4k2k is the next step in the HD revolution. it’s 2x2 1080p.
for large VDs, 1080p it’s completely unusable as a monitor, due to pixel density.

How large of a TV do you need before you need 4k? It’s gotta be more then 70 inches.

It’s different for computer screens because you sit closer to them. Consoles are generally geared towards TV’s. I honestly don’t think 4k is going to catch on like HD did. You need big screens, and people generally don’t buy screens that big.

You’re almost at the point where technology outpaces what most people want/need for their living room.

I’ll note that Sony is using PS3 -kiosk models for driving digital signage in the commercial domain … possibly quite unsuccessfully, looking at the pricing we received.

I have, well the company I work for has, just quoted a simple 120" Digital signage wall (2x 2x 60" Bezzleless Panels) which is in total 2560x1440p, and many commercial panel models 46-55" are coming in 2x2 x1080p = 4K2K :wink:

I don’t doubt that 4K2K will be heavily used … whether it’s by consumers is a totally different kettle of fish :wink:

Anyone using a 2x2 PC screen configuration will definitely use 4K2K … if that is over a single HDMI v1.4 or single display port, with the monitors automatically arranging, that would be nice … but wishing too much.
Probably won’t happen, but we can dream :wink:

At any rate, if anyone under 30 sees a 4K2K screen, they might suggest that 1080p is a little too low def in comparison.

If you build it, they will come. 1080p is nice, but it’s not impossible to see the difference on a semi large screen.

I’m mid-30’s and I can tell the difference between 720p & 1080p on my tiny 46" TV.

The local theatre, I noted, is projecting at 720p on a very large screen. Another 4K2K application.

At any rate, if the PS4 is capable of rendering 4K2K at any decent frame-rate, it can easily render 2k1K with ease. Future-proofing perhaps …

Who cares about the resolution, the real problem is the blocking of used games. To me, this move is complete anti American and anti competition. For anyone who has no problem with this, I hope you never plan on buying a used car or anything else used for that matter. Once you purchase something and sell it, why should the company get a piece of the cut. It has already been paid for. This is pure greed, plain and simple. No other industry besides the entertainment industry complains about used products. As technology improves people just get dumber.

I still agree. I really don’t like the move to block the sales of used games. Video games are pretty expensive. Being able to sell them when you’re done with them generates funds to buy the new ones.

I really wasn’t thinking of Nintendo for my next console, but if has some decent power and they don’t implement these technologies… maybe I’ll go that direction.

Not to mention that this could completely destroy the game rentals market (bye bye Gamefly?).

But yeah, used game restrictions and penalties are bad, mmmkay?

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2627981]the real problem is the blocking of used games. To me, this move is complete anti American and anti competition.[/QUOTE]
Sony isn’t American, and by that I mean USA, …

Most American companies aren’t American, they’re non-patriotic psychotic entities. In a large corporation no single person shoulders the blame for any action the company takes … each person contributes a single despicable action for the company to make more money, and with enough employees doing the rare despicable action, the company never needs to act decently ever again, until the local government or court system pull the reins in. If the company gets pulled up about it, the CEO slides aside and blames a less valued-added employee, or gracefully retires with a huge early termination payout. There’s no punishment.

If the corporation gets away with it in the majority of countries, it’s successful & motivation to do it again.

Any time “virtual” goods are involved, corporations have an opportunity oi extend additional control over their “product”

Don’t stand there and protest the companies intentions, fight the mechanisms enabling them to exert the control.

1. Digital Distribution -> No physical media.

2. DRM & Online product Activations -> Full control over the product (unless it’s cracked - but corporations have ensured that bypassing DRM is illegal).

I’ve got Sony PS3 and after they updated the firmware and crippled the system I will never buy Sony Products again “You buy something you deserve full control over it” after all it’s your hard earned money sweat and blood worked.

[QUOTE=SilverHedge42;2628071]I’ve got Sony PS3 and after they updated the firmware and crippled the system I will never buy Sony Products again “You buy something you deserve full control over it” after all it’s your hard earned money sweat and blood worked.[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

I have the problem that my PS3 is stuck on CFW v3.55 because I want to use showtime, so I can use my PS3 as a proper media player, rather than the crippled P.O.S. that Sony left it as … at the same time, I have the problem that I’ve purchased a few games on the PSN, but can’t play them because sony are totally against homebrew & have blocked older firmwares and forced users to upgrade continuously to prevent piracy.

Of course Sony’s paranoia is grudgingly justified, PS3 game pirates exist, and those pirates are all throwing money at criminals in 3rd world countries that have developed dongles & software to bypass all the stupid sony firmware problems, whereas (again) anyone that just wants to do the right thing have been totally screwed over by being denied homebrew to extend their console capabilities, or being locked out of the PSN, depending on your priorities.

In any case. Sony are dead to me.

Rumor: the next PlayStation console could cripple used games

Remember this time kids. For this will be the first unhackable console ever!

[/fairytale mode off]

Annoying and perplexing, but some good might actually come of this!
As gamers boycot Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo they’ll actually have to experience the “real world”.

4K like in $ony’s saying to M$ that “HD starts with the PS3” and now we play 720p games on the ps3 because it can’t deal with 1080p well enough?

[QUOTE=olddancer;2628207]Annoying and perplexing, but some good might actually come of this!
As gamers boycot Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo they’ll actually have to experience the “real world”.[/QUOTE]

I tried that “real life” game once. I didn’t like it. Here’s a small review:

• Only one life
  • No reload
  • Only in “the now”, never in the past or the future
  • No mystical, mythical creatures but a lot of weird people
  • NPC only, almost no multiplayer or co-op
  • No spawn points
  • If you fail you cannot try again most of the time
  • Weapons actually hurt and can make you bleed
  • Insurance is mandatory
  • Never unlock any achievement or trophy
  • Most expensive game ever!

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2628226]I tried that “real life” game once. I didn’t like it. Here’s a small review:

• Only one life
  • No reload
  • Only in “the now”, never in the past or the future
  • No mystical, mythical creatures but a lot of weird people
  • NPC only, almost no multiplayer or co-op
  • No spawn points
  • If you fail you cannot try again most of the time
  • Weapons actually hurt and can make you bleed
  • Insurance is mandatory
  • Never unlock any achievement or trophy
  • Most expensive game ever![/QUOTE]

:bigsmile::iagree: