Rumor: Microsoft to skip retail edition of Windows 8

vbimport

Rumor: Microsoft to skip retail edition of Windows 8.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/07/2mxrIu.jpg[/newsimage]If you're a collector of fancy Windows retails packages, then you're out of luck it seems. Rumors says that Microsoft is planning to skip the retail version of Windows 8 and will only offer an upgrade DVD and OEM version of its latest OS

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/rumor-microsoft-to-skip-retail-edition-of-windows-8-62420/](http://www.myce.com/news/rumor-microsoft-to-skip-retail-edition-of-windows-8-62420/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I got a launch version of Windows 7 and it came in a white sleeve.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

The huge price difference between OEM and retail is more than just the 90 days support. OEM versions are legally locked to the hardware they’re installed on. Retail versions can be transferred to newer hardware. You might be able to transfer the OEM version but not without calling MS first and possibly needing a good excuse for them.

Read: It sucks skunk butt so they are going to sell it cheap to recover some of their wasted development money.

Microsoft has just announced Windows 8 upgrade to Windows 7 will be offered for free to buyers of new Windows 7-equipped PC’s or new Windows 7 copies from sometime in this summer so that news is confusing.

Does that mean the upgrade to Windows 7 will cost like US$300 or $500? I paid nearly US$2,000 for a copy of Windows 7, Office 2010, and a Translation Memory tool last year (and add all of the software preinstalled with Windows 7 laptops, Android smartphones, Apple iPads…)

i have no idea ,just waiting for a press conference of microsoft.

I think “Microsoft Not Selling Win8” is going to be part of many, MANY headlines for the next few years. There will be different words attached to the end of that phrase, I’m sure, but “not selling” is a prediction that continues to sound Edsel-esque.

Like the above poster mentioned, some people buy the Retail versions for a reason geez.

On another note it will help as many bogus versions of Windows 7 boxed were selling on Ebay and users were being ripped off. Just another side to the debate thats all.:flower:

And now that there is no expensive retail version, Microsoft will be increasing the cost of OEM copies to the average of the OEM/Retail prices … given that 90% of their OS sales are OEM anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

That nets them a tidy little profit.

Rumor has it WIndows 8 will suck worse than Windows Vista… I’ll reserve judgement until it’s release and the blogosphere confirms or denies it… Ever since windows ME, I’ve not been an early Adopter of new O/S of Microsoft…

Fool me once… never get fooled again…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2644017]Rumor has it WIndows 8 will suck worse than Windows Vista… I’ll reserve judgement until it’s release and the blogosphere confirms or denies it… Ever since windows ME, I’ve not been an early Adopter of new O/S of Microsoft…

Fool me once… never get fooled again…[/QUOTE]

I managed to skip over Windows ME, I went from Windows95
to Windows2000, so I really cannot comment on ME and retain
anything approching journalistic or intellectual integrity.

My honest suggeston is don’t depend on rumors, download the
ISO and burn it to a DVD disc, then take a SPARE hard drive
and install windows8 on that hard drive and “play” with it.

then you can talk about how you hate it with real intensity.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2644017]Rumor has it WIndows 8 will suck worse than Windows Vista… I’ll reserve judgement until it’s release and the blogosphere confirms or denies it… Ever since windows ME, I’ve not been an early Adopter of new O/S of Microsoft…

Fool me once… never get fooled again…[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by rumour?

You can use the consumer preview of windows (H)8 now, and join the discussion on why Microsoft will be selling their company to Apple, Google and/or Nintendo within the next few years :iagree:

Windows H8 … I like that :slight_smile:

They are probably already working on Windows 9, they have to release Win 8 so we can tell them how to fix it.