Rumor Has It - Cyclic Redundancy Error

On VTS_01_1.VOB

Any updates for this or ways to get around it?

Welcome to CDFEAKS.:slight_smile:

Cyclic Redundancy Check) or CRC Error

This can happen on various reasons:

1 ) dvd media is dirty - you can try to clean it
2 ) dvd media is damaged , you have to replace it
3 ) your drive is a region locked rpc2 drive, which does not allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and try to read a dvd from a different region.
You can try to find a rpc1 patched firmware at www.rpc1.com
4) your drive is an rpc2 drive that has not yet been assigned a region. try to assign one, or try to find a rpc1 patched firmware.

The link is there takes you too the firmware page.

To find the firmware you currently have use this :

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVDInfoPro

If it’s not scratched or dirty I suggest returning it and get another one due to the manufacturer bad press (burn).

what programs and versions are you using?

with what scarce information you have provided, the fact that it comes at the beginning of the first VOB leads me to believe it’s a copy protection problem.

I backed this disc up (region 1 widescreen) just fine using whatever version of anydvd was current at the time

go to www.slysoft.com and update anydvd.

Most likely you have a defective DVD, take it back and get another. :iagree:

The DvD has a few scratchs on it, but it plays well in my DVD player.

I tried to copy the files to the HD from both my DVD-ROM and DVD-Burner. I received the same errors.

I am using the newest AnyDvD.

I will get a different copy of the DvD and try again tomorrow, unless you have another suggestion?

BTW, thanks for all the responses.

Saying the newest won’t do nothing but postpone help tell us the exact version #…Try using the ripper function in anydvd to the HDD then use your burning program of your choice to proccess the files on the HDD to burn the dvd…

Just because it play good or great on your DVD Player does not mean it will work the same way when you are trying to burn it or rippin’ it.

Version 6.0.1.1

I must be crazy, but I do not see a ripper function in my AnyDvD?

right click on your fox in the system tray and then you can choose the ripper option :slight_smile:

right click the red fox icon in your task pane, you’ll see [B]rip video-dvd to hard disk[/B]

edit

too slow :bigsmile:

Just sitting around trying to look busy…so I have plenty of free time :bigsmile:

i often get crc errors.i’m usually running clonedvd2 when i get them. i can try using dvddecryptor and nero, to copy the dvd to hd, it won’t work. at least not on that computer.
strange thing is, often the same disk will copy just fine on my other computer.
and vice versa.
that is, sometimes a dvd won`t work on comp1 but it will on comp2, and sometimes the other way around.

(Cyclic Redundancy Check) or CRC Error

This can happen on various reasons:

1 ) dvd media is dirty - you can try to clean it
2 ) dvd media is damaged , you have to replace it
3 ) your drive is a region locked rpc2 drive, which does not allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and try to read a dvd from a different region.
You can try to find a rpc1 patched firmware at www.rpc1.com
4) your drive is an rpc2 drive that has not yet been assigned a region. try to assign one, or try to find a rpc1 patched firmware.

The link is there takes you too the firmware page.

To find the firmware you currently have use this :

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVDInfoPro

If it’s not scratched or dirty I suggest returning it and get another one due to the manufacturer bad press (burn).

@ eminenz,

The CloneDVD software program does not cause what you are experiencing. The problem is most likely caused by the marginal reading tolerance capabilities of your DVD “reading” devices installed in your two computers.

Each of your two computers has a different DVD “reading” device. Each DVD reading device has a different “reading” tolerance. While the DVD “reading” device installed in one of your computers might read a particular Commercial DVD Movie Title without any difficulties the DVD reading device installed in your other computer might experience difficulty reading the same Commercial DVD Movie Title.

What appears to be happening is that your two computers have DVD “reading” devices that have very marginal reading tolerance capabilities. What you need is DVD reading devices that have a very wide tolerance reading capabilities.

For an example I my three computers I have Lite-On SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROMs that I use as my DVD “readers” and use NEC DVD Burners as my DVD Burning devices. The Lite-On SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROMs are noted to be excellent DVD “reading” devices that have very wide reading tolerance capabilities. It is an extremely rare instance that I ever experience any CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) reading errors.

Best Regards,
bjkg

@ bjkg
thanks for your diagnostic. i realize of course that the problem isn’t caused or limited to our beloved clonedvd2. as i mentioned, i get the same problems using other programs, such as roxio (used in tandem with anydvd) and with dvddecryptor.
as it so happens i have multiple dvd reading devices attached to both computers - sony internal and external, ditto benq, and a pioneer internal. i don’t think i tried the same dvd using different reading devices (as you call it) on the same computer.
right now i’m blissfully making a backup of the cult epics release of borowicz’s goto. one reading device on my office computer sneered at it - my home computer didn’t look twice. i’ll try it again at the office on a different dvd writer and report back.
thanks again to all!
:bow:

@ eminenz,

External devices are subjected to problematic data transmission problems. When making backup copies of Commercial DVD Movie Titles there is an enormous amount of data being transmitted between the host computer and external device. It doesn’t take much of a “glitch hiccup” to cause CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) errors to appear when complex DVD video/audio data stream transmission is concerned.

One way to ensure smooth error free data transmission is to ensure that you have curtailed all Multi-Tasking background operations while AnyDVD-CloneDVD is activated. Also ensure that you don’t have any invasive Anti-Virus and/or Packet Writing programs running while the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs are activated.

The following are examples of packet writing software programs –> Sonic DLA, Nero InCD, NTI FileCD, Roxio DirectCD/Drag-To-Disc, CE Quadrant Just!Burn, Sony abCD, InstantWrite, Backup4all, B’s Clip, NeoClip, InstantBurn. This is not an extensive complete list, there are numerous others. If you have any Packet Writing Software Programs installed strongly suggest to completely removing them from your computer.

To ensure that all background operations are in fact curtailed check that all unnecessary programs are not automatically loaded during Window Startup. To check this suggest viewing the below Web Link that details how to use MSCONFIG to configure Windows Startup to load only necessary items. You will be surprised at all the unnecessary Memory and Resource wasting items that are automatically loaded during Windows Startup. Quite possibility you have some unnecessary item automatically loaded during Windows Startup that you are unaware of that could be interfering with smooth error free function of AnyDVD-CloneDVD that could possibly cause your CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error problem.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Best Regards,
bjkg

@ bjkg,
wow, that’s an impressive body of work you’ve written in those last two posts.
and i think you hit the nails on the heads.

1. computer 1 (office). it never occurred to me to try a different drive on the same computer. at the office, which is where the external sony drive gave a crc error on the goto dvd, the same dvd read perfectly on the internal pioneer drive.
  2. computer 2 (home). while goto read perfectly there, others haven’t (that subsequently read fine at the office). so i’ll assume there may be a software conflict that causes these intermittent failures.
    finally, just in case, i’ll take your advice about getting rid of the packet writing software (nero). i never really understood their utility - and they have a nasty habit of changing their settings to auto-load.
    i really appreciate your fantastic help.
    thanks, cheers, respect!

You should remove Incd–and not all of Nero. Incd is packet writing software.

:bow: “Cyclic redundancy check”

What exactly causes this error?

“Cyclic redundancy check” is an error caused by the DVD-ROM Reader
having difficulty reading the DVD Original/Copy.
this error means that the DVD Reader is possibly “dirty.”

True story: I had a computer with a DVD Burner by liteoN and a DVD writer
by Liteon as well. Copied DVDs fine for a couple of days then I ran into
the CRC Error “Cyclic redundancy check” I thought it was the DVD it self
the source disc. I replaced the DVD-ROM reader with an LG DVD-ROM reader
& CD burner and the “Cyclic redundancy check” problems went away like magic.

What I recommend is buying a reliable DVD-ROM Reader like LG DVD Reader/Writer
products.

What I recommend is LG products. :bow:

I still wonder when a user will use the search function on the forum this is so common that there should be a lot of hit’s on how to resolve this type of issue. No offense to those that need help but seriously if you search 9 times out of 10 you’ll find an answer without posting for help.