RPC Switch 0.005 doesn't work with latest LiteOn DVD firmware

I can confirm that the RPC Switch (aka RPCDE) 0.005 doesn’t change the drive’s region to RPC I anymore. Fails on both 165H and 166S models.

I used RPCDE from http://digitri.tk on my 166S and it works

I only got it yesterday and i did it first with orig firmware then installed the newest and it also worked

You are clicking Disable to use it right?

Ummm, you confirm wrong man. I also thought, @#$% @#$% @#$% when it didn’t free my 166S. But then I just restarted the system, opened Rpcde, and disabled that mofo. Checked InfoTool, and it’s RCP I, region All. Went ahead and mtkflashed that baby to DS0F, reboot, got back to windows, popped Rpcde up again, and bam, disabled that mofo again. If it ain’t working, try, try again.

Yes, tried again and the drive became RPC I :slight_smile:
Just one question: can this region switch damage the firmware? can it change something that shouldn’t be changed and in some cases the drive may not work right. Can anyone explain me if this is a safe method?

Thank you.

It won’t kill your DVDROM, as the only thing it does is shut the region protection off. Sort of like a on/off button. Have freed my Pioneer 105S, Lite-On 163D and just yesterday 166S. No problem whatsoever. Use it in conjunction w/ region killer v2.xx and you can watch anything. Only thing I’ve encountered was playing Spider-Man. The DVD recognized the hardware is region free and won’t go any further. So I fired up region killer, freed PowerDVD XP, played the DVD again, and it’s all good.

Hey guys.I just tried today to update my 166S to the latest firmware SDS0F, but afterthe update i cant make it region free with the utility.I have even tried to reflash it with mtlflask but still nothing happens
Anyone can help me please???

are u using RPCDE from http://digitri.tk and clicking disable onces you’ve selected your drive from the drop down box?

remember disable fixes it. I had the problem of clicking Enable… thinking that since it was a Region Free tool clicking Enable would make it region free :slight_smile:

i am using the latest version of the tool and i click on disable NOT enable.i have tried to reflash the drive with mtkflasl because the windows flasher would not let me flash again the drive with the same firmware, but even after the reflash i cant disable the RPC protection
:frowning:

I have exactly the same problem.

Run RPCDE from digitri.
Press DISABLE
Look with cdinfo
STILL Region Locked.

Play a DVD and it asks for a region code for the DVD player (software is Power DVD with DVD Genie)

I am down to only 2 changes left.

Have flashed with MTLFLASH with issue “0F” from Liteon site and also the supposedly region-free version from digitri’s site. Same problem, STILL SHOWS RPC2.

Any ideas?

p.s. Have also run RPCDE in WinMe compatibility mode, but the DVD drive does not show up on the drop-down list, only the hard-drives for some reason.

ATHLON 1200 / Win XP Prof

Ta.

Jeff

I managed to make it region free:cool:
The problem was M$'s WinXP itself.As i couldnt do anything in XP decided to boot 98SE.I started the RPC switch program and clicked on disable and straight away the dvdinfo program showed me that there is no region protection:)
I flashed again the the drive with latest firmware with mtkflash went to 98 and disable right away the region protection.I went after to XP and the rpc switch told me again that there is no region protection.
The 98SE OS was clean install, no dma, nothing enabled, only PIO mode.
Maybe XP was beeing stupid for another one time.
At least happy end:bigsmile:

To those of you on XP who it didn’t work for: did you run it in Win98 compability mode?

If I run in Win 98 compatibility mode, none of my drives show up on the list.

My set-up is :-

Prim Master : HD 80gb
Prim Slave : HD 20 gb
Secd Master : Liteon CDRW
Secd Slave : Liteon 166S
Daemon Tools
IBM drive on a raid card.

If I run in win 98 compat. mode, only the Daemon tools and the IBM on the raid show in the drop down list!

Looks like I will have to find someone with 98 and connect it to make it Reg Free! BORING.

Jeff.

I didnt say i run the rpc switch in WIN98 compatibility mode(Safe Mode).In win98 safe mode you cant see your optical drives normally.
I said in win98 after clean install.DMA is not enabled after clean install in device manager.I didnt try with dma enabled to see what will happen.

what does rpcde actually change??
does it change the firmware or something in windows?

ie; if i update my 165h to CH0Z then use rpcde does that mean if i extract that firmware ill have a rpc1 firmware?

EDIT: currently using the patched ch0n firmware - which i then made to display 165h instead of P

but im probably going to get this drive replaced as i still dont think its working properly

Originally posted by Goofy[HSK]
[B]what does rpcde actually change??
does it change the firmware or something in windows?

ie; if i update my 165h to CH0Z then use rpcde does that mean if i extract that firmware ill have a rpc1 firmware?

EDIT: currently using the patched ch0n firmware - which i then made to display 165h instead of P

but im probably going to get this drive replaced as i still dont think its working properly [/B]

You better put the original firmware back on it before you try to send it back. RPCDE does not modify the firmware.

ok ill change back to original firmware soon (CH0E will do :slight_smile: )

with the new one (if i get it) - ill just use ch0z and rpcde i spose - even tho id rather it said LiteOn (yes i know you JLMS is)

I also Disabled region protection on my JLMS 166S,
but PowerDVD 4.0 which comes with the drive asks me to change
my region, so after disabling with RPCDE and choose region, I have now only 1 change left !

And why to use RPCDE when I must use Region Killer still after ‘disabling’ region protection ???

Originally posted by dwrbudr
[B]I also Disabled region protection on my JLMS 166S,
but PowerDVD 4.0 which comes with the drive asks me to change
my region, so after disabling with RPCDE and choose region, I have now only 1 change left !

And why to use RPCDE when I must use Region Killer still after ‘disabling’ region protection ??? [/B]

Because RPCDE only disables the drive’s region check. PowerDVD has its own region check. That’s why you need Region Killer or DVDIdle too.