Royally Pissed

Alrighty.

About a month a go, my best friend [Chris] was over here at my house - him and his friends are fans of the game “Lineage 2”, which is an online RPG. Now, he was over here, and he was online looking for a site to buy game money with actual money. He found a site, and for 5 million game money, it would cost $90. He made the mention to his friends, then came back the following week and said his friend Thomas wanted me to buy it for him, and that he will pay me back. Now, I already owed Thomas $40 for a different thing, so I agreed and told him the $90 will only cost him $50 as to repay him the $40 I owed him. He agreed. Deal set.

I went ahead and bought the game money the following week when Chris was over here. According to the site, someone had to be online to accept the game money [in the game], so Chris went to his friend’s Tommy and John’s*** house [they are twins] with his computer, and spent the night there. He ended up getting the money in the game, and that was that. Note that Thomas was not there at the time; the money went into Chris’ account. According to Chris, Thomas got the money, just as planned.

*** A while back, John was having me build him a computer. I bought a case with my money, with the intent John would pay me back in full. I ended up getting around $150 of the $250 owed…over the course of four months. I sold the case to a friend in the meantime, and got the full payment for the case. I made a deal with John that when he actually gets ALL the money together for a computer, I would take care of the case for him at no charge.

Now…this is today.

I asked Chris where my money was [like a true pimp]. He ended up telling me that Thomas ended up splitting the game money in half with himself and the twins. Then he made the comment that John said I owed him case money, and that the game money would pay for his case.

Wait a minute. I sold this game money to Thomas; NOT John. What the fuck.

With that being said, I was told by Chris that I still owe money to John, and that I still owe Thomas $40. NOW REALLY, what the fuck?! Where did John come from? The deal was between me and Thomas ONLY; not with other people. So this pretty much ended up with a lot of words from him flying across from him to me since a] he knew he was involved, b] he didn’t want to be, and c] $10 says he got the money, spent it, and has nothing to show for it [I never got $20 of the $40 that I ‘owe’ Thomas…].

Now, you can view the chat log here:

http://www.cmr3000x.com/chat.txt

All I want to know; who was in the right, and why. This would of been a fist fight if this was in person.

Pissed,
cmr3000x.

Before i analyse it : Do you think it’s wise to have a phone number in the chat log? :slight_smile:

thing 1 : something : Bill $40
thing 2 : 5 million game money : Bill : $90

Chris asks you to purchase thing2 for Thomas :

TRANSACTION 01
You owe Thomas $40 for thing1
You buy thing2 at $90

Thomas owes you $50 (thing2 - thing1 = $50 )

You buy a case for John : Bill $250
John promises to pay you back in full, but doesn’t. He gives you $150.

TRANSACTION 02
John owes you $250
John gives you $150

John owes you $100

TRANSACTION 03
John doesn’t pay, so you sell the case and get all your money ($250) back
John paid you $100 however from TRANSACTION 02

You owe John $100, because he never got the case
This completes TRANSACTION 02.

You ask Chris where the money (that Thomas owes you) is.
Chris tells you Thomas split thing2 (5 million game money) with him and the twins. Basically Thomas STILL owes you $50 , no matter what. It’s up to Thomas what to do with the bought item (thing2), but you had a deal with him, not with anybody else.

Chris tells you John still gets money from you (TRANSACTION 03) and the game money (TRANSACTION 01) can compensate for that.

No it cannot. Transaction 01 and Transaction 03 don’t have anything in common and are made with other people. Can never compensate whatsoever.

Chris tells you that you owe money to John (yes, transaction 02, $100) and you owe Thomas $40 (no, there is no transaction in where you owe Thomas money. There is one however where Thomas owes you $50, Transaction 01).

You suspect Chris has got the money that Thomas (transaction 01) owes you and spent it.

Summary :

Transaction 01 is still running : Thomas owes you $50
Transaction 02 is completed :
Transaction 03 is still running : You owe John $100

There are no other transactions mentioned.

TIP : Ditch these “friends” and get new ones :slight_smile:

Ditch these “friends” and get new ones

Yes, after bending my brain around this scenario involving “real” money and “unreal” money, I think Mr Belvedere’s answer sums it up.
Cut all losses (or gains…) and say “FO” to them. Politely.

I think the thing Chris is trying to do, is the following :

Day 1
He makes debts with people.
Then he asks other people (in this case you) to do something for his friends.
The friends make debts with these other people (in this case you).

Day 2
Chris fills the debts he has, by telling his friends to pay him.
The friends agree and pay him. They think they have no debts now.

Day 3
Chris tells the other people (in this case you) that they have debts with his friends.
The other people (in this case you) get confused because there are three different transactions going on at the same time.

Day 4
Chris tells he has no debts whatsoever with anyone and gets away with all money from all three transactions. He was “just the middle man here” and plays innocent.

Day 5
You paid for all of them, but somehow cannot proof it, because you have three confusing transactions going on.

Day 6
War between you and Chris’ friends.
Chris laughs

Day 7
Chris doesn’t take into account that you found out how all transactions really went. -> Chris is doomed (at least i hope so)

I have 2 comments: (I am NOT going to even read the conversation, although I have been looking for a new phone number to prank-call on a regular basis. Just kidding.)

First: There is nothing wrong with “unreal” money. For this situation just think of it as an item. Thank goodness there were no issues of “unreal” money not being received. A while back when I was an Everquest junkie, I was involved in discussions about the purchase and sale of intangibles. For this situation just think of it as thing #2. (Dr. Suess aside)

Second: I had a batch of bad friends a while back. The bad ones are gone now, but at the time I learned that agreements just need to be REALLY clear. i.e. No middlemen unless it is clear that the agreement is with the Middle Man only and NOT the third party. Also, 3-way agreements require 3 parties present saying “yes, I agree.”

Ditch the friends if you want to, but often friends are friends in spite of everything else. Negative feeling can be set aside. Cash lost can be written off, rather than writing off a friend. You need to weight the pros and cons. Consider the possibility that there may be only 1 or 2 “friends” that need “written off,” rather than the whole batch.

Also (ok, this is like 5 comments, here…) I found it difficult to separate myself from the whole group and VERY difficult to separate myself from only certain ones. Then I moved about 1800 miles away and it became very easy to pick and choose which ones to maintain contact with.

Hope all goes well for you. “I feel ya!”

If my assumptions as written above are correct, his friends are not only betraying him, they’re STEALING MONEY from him.

I dunno about you, but my suggestions would involve kicking the shit out of them, ditching them and taking the money back with interest.

Personally i don’t really need friends to steal my money from me, i have the government for that.

Well, did all this fry anyone else’s brains to ashes???

I am realizing now that it is hard to be objective when you are in the middle of it. Even now, (2 years later) I realize that I still have an emotional connection to my former situationand and that may affected the mood of my post.

You are right, though. It must be acknowledged that they stole! That indicates that they don’t hold his friendship very highly. I have to wonder if this is his whole group of friends we are talking about or a group that he is only connected with through Chris. It can be a very scary thing to ditch your whole group of friends, no matter how negatively they affect you. (Geezsh, I hope he reads this all and comments. I feel like I am talking about him in the third person and I am.)

Think about it… Make a mental list of everyone you communicate with and think about what it would be like to never communicate with them at all. (Even me! LOL) Scary to ditch them all? …just a little bit?? I think so.

It can be done, though. A person CAN start over. Even for a big-time introvert like me, friendships happen…one by one… in time.

And yes my brain is fried to ashes, hope yours is, too, but then mine was to start with.

Mr. B, thanks a bunch! :bow:

As for the phone number, it belongs to the twins. I could care less if you guys call it and act as hit men so to speak, but just remember if you prank call them…their mom has a brain tumor :).

You’re welcome.

If my assumptions are correct, then i’m looking forward to the next irc log :):slight_smile:

Oh and Tip #2 : If Chris’ friends tell you that they gave the money to Chris, then let them fight over it with Chris. Angry people make excellent cheap soldiers and you can reap the rewards afterwards.
Don’t ever go to war yourself, let others do that for you :slight_smile:

Analytical thinking can get you extremely far in life.

I know. I’ve been in a similar situation years ago. A friend (Mr. X) stole my other friend’s (Mr. Y) wallet. After a lot of angry discussions Mr. Y found out Mr. X did it. Mr. Y. confronted Mr. X with this. Mr. X still denies everything. Later on we had him arrested.

I have to wonder if this is his whole group of friends we are talking about or a group that he is only connected with through Chris.

It’s usually one bad apple in the basket.

It can be a very scary thing to ditch your whole group of friends, no matter how negatively they affect you.

Perhaps, but not for me.

Think about it… Make a mental list of everyone you communicate with and think about what it would be like to never communicate with them at all. (Even me! LOL) Scary to ditch them all? …just a little bit?? I think so

Hmm… not really. I have this simple rule. If the only communication comes from me, they will be ignored by me within due time.

It can be done, though. A person CAN start over. Even for a big-time introvert like me, friendships happen…one by one… in time.

Friends and lovers come and go. In the beginning you were born alone and you will die alone as well.

http://www.cmr3000x.com/mess/

You’re right, but I think you’re all making it more complicated than it needs to be. Just pay John the $100 you owe him. You’re done.

You can now demand payment directly from those who owe you money.

1 sec, so if i call 685 8081 i will be pranking a lady with a tumor, that is really cruel, im not going to.

ben :slight_smile:

ps. will she recover from it or is it deadly?

Unfortunatly I think you have made an error here Mr B. I think the sunmmary should be,

Summary :
Transaction 01 is still running : Thomas owes you $50
Transaction 02 is completed :
Transaction 03 is still running : You owe John $150

Sorry cmr3000x, I think I have just cost you an extra $50

Either way, that was the point I was getting to how John was not involved in the transaction :p.

Could you close this? Thanks.

may i say a final word? well i will anyway.

Money and friendships dont mix, i have lost too many friends from lending them money and then arguing over getting it back, and vice versa. if you do get into arguments about them giving it you back you are unlickly to get it back, all arguing is going to do is lose you the friend. i have lost £300 ($500) from “lending” money before.

ben :slight_smile:

I already got my money back. It wasn’t really anyone’s fault except for John; it wasn’t his transaction, but he decided to jump on in it anyways. I built and bought every part of Chris’ computer for heaven’s sake…it was just the principle here.