Roxio Easy - uninstall of Roxio removed DVD drives, help

vbimport

Good afternoon.

After many problems, my stepdad finally installed Roxio and was going to install Nero. When he uninstalled Roxio, the drivers for BOTH his DVD drives failed to load.

1. His system is running Windows XP SP3.

2. One of the DVD drives is an HP, the other I’m not certain of, I’m not at the machine. I believe the drives are on their own IDE channel, so one is master the other secondary (was not inside the machine to verify).

3. I do not know the version of Roxio he was running, he’d un-installed it before I saw the machine, and could not find the original install. I know he bought it about a year ago, I don;t know if he’s kept it up to date.

4. After many problems, my stepdad finally installed Roxio and was going to install Nero. When he uninstalled Roxio, the drivers for BOTH his DVD drives failed to load. Here is what I tried so far:

In the Windows Device Manager, I uninstalled both drives. Upon reboot, Windows re-detects both of them, but cannot finish installing them. When I went back into Device Manager, both drives were listed with errors - the system said it could not find or could not load the drivers.

Again in the Windows Device Manager, I uninstalled the Primary IDE channel that contained both drives. I rebooted, and the IDE channel was again found and installed, and the drives again were found but failed to install. I went into the Primary IDE channel, and both drives were set to PIO only. I set both to DMA if available and rebooted - both showed up with DMA, but the drivers still did not load.

I took the Nero CD that my stepdad had purchased and put it in another machine. I connected to THAT machine with windows netowrking and installed Nero, hpoing beyond hope that Nero would install it’s own drivers. nada.

I copied cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys, and storprp.dll from another XP SP3 installtion with a working DVD drive. Nada. I tried Windows update. Nothing changed the error.

1. The machine is a Dell Precision 670. It has 2 gigs of RAM, and is used to store and edit digital pictures - stepdad is a pro photographer. Being unable to burn read/burn DVD’s affects his business, any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I tried to go to the Tool Tips link in FutureProof’s sticky, but I think the link has moved as it takes me to a page that tells me to buy nero 8. Google hasn’t been much help either :frowning: If there is anything else you need to know, just ask! I may have to drive across town, but I’ll find out.

Hi and Welcome!

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Michael

Thank you! I missed this one - for whatever reason I didn’t search on the error number - duh. I’ll see if I can try this tonight.