Router/switch, whats the diffrence?

vbimport

In particular, what would a router do that something like this do?
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/NexxTech-5-Port-Ethernet-Switch-N5PSWITCH/sem/rpsm/context/outlet/oid/155332/catOid/-12961/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I have a wireless network but I’m thinking about some wired connections for better speed/reliability.

You’re linking to a switch?
Get an Asus WL-500g Premium (non V2) imo.
//Danne

[QUOTE=ripit;2020239]In particular, what would a router do that something like this do?
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/NexxTech-5-Port-Ethernet-Switch-N5PSWITCH/sem/rpsm/context/outlet/oid/155332/catOid/-12961/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I have a wireless network but I’m thinking about some wired connections for better speed/reliability.[/QUOTE]

First are you on cable or Dsl?? What is your current wireless device your using? You do know they have wireless cable/router and wireless dsl modem/router?

Ok, so apparently I was suffering from temporary retardation or something (its been a long week). I have a Motorola surfboard cable modem (provided by the cable company and I have cable internet).

The wireless router is a netgear wgt624 which already has 4 wired network connections (one is already in use by the main computer where the cable internet comes in). So I already have the capability to connect 3 more computers through the network hard wired, right?

Fyi, the problem is that the wireless connection dies now and then (just has to be reset), killing my phone. I thought a wired connection might be more reliable. Big homer simpson doh for forgetting that the wireless router was also a wired router!!! For years I just used multiple computers on kvm switches, and only started networking when I started using an htpc (in another room).

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway to make it use two wireless cards (in the same computer) so if one connection goes down the other acts as a backup? I already have two more wireless cards (actually one is usb, I got them all cheap during the second run of compusa closings). They are all netgear but different models (wg311, wg311t, wg111).

Not really, I would get myself a better router but that’s just me.
//Danne