Router recommendations

vbimport

What router do you folks use at home? Which in your opinions would be the most reliable, best selection for the price?

Decent wireless coverage is a must.

Thanks.

:flower:

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2534929]
Decent wireless coverage is a must.

:[/QUOTE]
No such thing. Wireless coverage and performance is entirely dependent on your environment. External interference, internal interference, location of router vs location of APs, etc. etc, etc. No one router can claim superior performance, it’s purely trial and error. Some router antenna configurations claim to provide better coverage, but again it’s the specific environment that makes the most difference.

Wired Ethernet is hugely superior in every way and well worth the trouble.

Go with one that uses Atheors AR7***-CPU and WLAN.

For instance…
//Danne

[QUOTE=CDan;2534944]No such thing. Wireless coverage and performance is entirely dependent on your environment. External interference, internal interference, location of router vs location of APs, etc. etc, etc. No one router can claim superior performance, it’s purely trial and error. Some router antenna configurations claim to provide better coverage, but again it’s the specific environment that makes the most difference.

Wired Ethernet is hugely superior in every way and well worth the trouble.[/QUOTE]

No such thing as decent wireless coverage? That’s a bit extreme don’t you think? :bigsmile:

I have used Netgear and Cisco in the past, but where one seems to be more reliable (Cisco) the other seems to need to be rebooted once a week or every 10 days to maintain broadcasting the network (Netgear).

The Cisco doesn’t actually have a visible antenna like the old Netgear and thus doesn’t seem to broadcast as well. Even if they are on different frequencies and in very similar locations when in use.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2534958]Go with one that uses Atheors AR7***-CPU and WLAN.

For instance…
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Interesting . . . thanks.

Well a decent router that’s cheap is the Asus WL-520GU. (currently $43.72 free shipping with a 10 dollar mail in rebate which comes out to $33.72)… also has a detachable antenna so if you want you can get a different one.

which is what i got and it has a USB port which you can even connect hard drives to if you install DD-WRT firmware to it which is the first thing i would do when you get the router.

“dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_mini_usb_ftp.bin” … that’s a good version to use as it’s been throughly tested. they do not recommend the official v24 or v24 SP1 builds as that is considered better. there is other slightly more recent builds that are recommended but i am staying on that build since it’s stable and has USB and FTP support.

not sure if that’s what your looking for as the WL-520GU does not have Wireless N stuff.

just some thoughts.

p.s. it appears DD-WRT supports the “NETGEAR WNDR3700” (which is in that link above) of DiiZzy’s.

1. Broadcom sucks (binary blobs among other things)
  2. DD-WRT is very poor compared to OpenWRT and does not respect developers nor contributors.

If you want some thing cheaper than the Netgear you have TP-Link TLWR1043ND which is way better than the Asus in all ways (only 4Mb flash and 16Mb on the Asus) which pretty much makes it impossble to Samba/SMB or such which makes the USB useless.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704038&cm_re=tp-link--33-704-038--Product

FWIW OpenWRT runs on both, the Netgear have dual band WLAN but the TP-Link doesn’t, faster CPU and more flash and memory…
The TP-Link holds up pretty well though since it can handle 100 mbit with quite many connections.

In other words, buy cheap crap and get a crappy product. :slight_smile:

//Danne

Is OpenWRT just a custom router management tool?

I’m not really sure what you’re asking though…
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2535210]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt
I’m not really sure what you’re asking though…
//Danne[/QUOTE]

I was asking what OpenWrt was . . .

In the current c’t issue a bunch of routers were tested.
Result is that Sitecom WL-351 and Netgear WNR3500L gave the best performances…
If you wanna a cheap one, grab the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND or MSI RG300EX.

Netgear WNR3500L is shit so I wouldn’t trust that “test”…
Can’t find any hw information regarding the MSI RG300EX (memory, CPU etc) so I wouldn’t go for that one either. Since the TS is in US I didn’t recommend the TP-Link since it’s about as expensive as the Netgear router which is much better.
//Danne