Round vs flat cables

I’ve been looking at Fancy IDE leads - The Terrible Truth and am left a tad confused.

Is it concluded that round and flat 18" cables are equal and that problems only start after 18", or are 18" flats better than 18" rounds full stop?

It’s these that I’m looking at.

Hope someone can help - needing to plop them on an order that I’m waiting to put through…

There are equally bad examples of both types. I have a set of 36" round cables that work great. But I don’t think I’d buy the cheapest ones I could find.

18" flat ribbon cables are according to the standards, rounded cables are not.

Best to stick to flats then?

Agreed flat ribbon cables are better, the only positive to the round cables is better air flow in your box.:wink:

…or you would adopt SATA like everyone else. :slight_smile:
As for flat vs rounded I’d say it’s a matter of how much you want to spend on cables.
//Danne

From an RF Transmission line point of view (which is basically what the cable is) Parallel conductors of equal length, interspersed with grounds (shields) seem to me would be most efficient. That would be the 80 wire flat cable.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2025357]…or you would adopt SATA like everyone else. :-)[/QUOTE]…Both SATAs already in use.

This is for the optical drives. :slight_smile:

Flat it is then - can’t see them anyway, but the site I’m buying a load of stuff from and was going to add them on doesn’t have flats. Will have to go elsewhere.

Thanks guys.

Hi :slight_smile:
OK the reality is that for most users flat (ribbon) type cables are more than adequate.
Stuff about RF etc is debatable.
Why?
The origin of round cable was to introduce screening.
This screening to aid the transfer of clean clear data.
However cheap round cables have little, possibly no effective screening.
The closeness of the strands added to the twisting, actually results in poorer transfer.
So unless you are going to spend 10x more for round cable.
Stick with ribbon.
Top quality round cable has shielding all the way from connecter to connecter. It is also likely to have a separate earth wire for grounding the cable casing.
These features take away a lot of the supposed gains of the round cable.
As inflexibility can result in having to place the cable in manner which interrupts airflow.
This rigidity, possibly combined with weight. Also places unnecessary strain at point where cable connects to the device.
Of course cheaper round cables are not so.
But then if going cheaper go flat. :bigsmile: