Rotating camera-movies

Today I took a few movies with my camera. With two of them I rotated the camera because of the vertical content of the subject (waterfalls). When I play them they are “sideways”. Anyone know how I can rotate them 90 degrees? I am using a Panasonic - Lumix camera and they are still in the cam’s memory. I also downloaded them to my PC, but my software doesn’t appear capable of rotating them. No problem though with rotating still shots. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the only way I’m aware of to rotate a video clip is to re-encode it with a utility that can rotate the video. The problem here is that the picture quality may be reduced. However, it’s worth a try, especially since the video may not be that watchable at a 90-degree angle.

Here’s how to do it in AviDemux (freeware, link here):

[ol]
[li]Open up the video[/li][li]For the Video drop-down, select “MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid4)”[/li][li]Click the ‘Filters’ button. choose ‘Rotate’ from list and click ‘+’ button.[/li][li]Select the angle to rotate it by, i.e. 90 for clockwise, 270 for anti-clockwise.[/li][li]Click ‘OK’, then ‘Close’.[/li][li]For the Audio drop-down, select “MP3 (LAME)”[/li][li]Click the ‘Save’ button.[/li][li]Give a name for the output ending in .avi, e.g. “Video clip.avi”[/li][li]Click ‘Save’ and give it a few minute to convert.[/li][/ol]

Thank you Sean!
I downloaded the program and followed your instructions and now I have two spectacular movies of the great falls at Bushkill PA, complete with roaring sound! I can’t thank you enough.
Paul

hey i am trying to rotate a clip that i have recorded on a camera…i can do it but i am having troubles with rotating different parts of the movie…e.g. rotating it 90 degrees at one point and then rotating it another angle at a diffferent point in the clip…can you please assist me on how i can do this?

many thanks

Welcome to CD Freaks / MyCE :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, in this case, it gets a little complicated. :doh:

If you don’t mind splitting this up into several shorter clips, the simplest way is to split this clip into multiple parts, with each part starting where the camera was rotated. To split a clip, drag the slider to the start point and press the ‘[’ key on your keyboard, then move the slider to the end point and press ‘]’, save this and repeat. Then use the above process to rotate the sideways clips.

As the vertical and horizontal resolution are different, unfortunately, these clips cannot be joined, as the rotated clips will have a portrait image like a rotated digital photo and only clips of matching resolutions can be joined.

If you have some spare time and really need to rotate the sections and end up with a single clip, you can try the following. Maybe someone else knows a simpler way, but this is the best I could think of:

[ol]
[li]Use the slider to select the start point of where the video is upright and press the ‘[’ key on the keyboard.[/li][li]Move the slider to the end of this part where the video rotates and press the ‘]’ key.[/li][li]For the Video drop-down, select “MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid4)”[/li][li]For the Audio drop-down, select “MP3 (LAME)”[/li][li]Click the ‘Save’ button.[/li][li]Give a name for this first output ending in ‘1.avi’, e.g. “Video_part_1.avi”. The end digit is important, which we’ll come to a moment.[/li][li]When the encoding completes, repeat the steps 1, 2, 8 & 9 for each upright part, but end the filename in the sequence ‘3.avi’, ‘5.avi’, etc. for step ‘9’.[/li][li]Go into File -> properties and take note of the image size (640 x 480 for most cameras) and use these values for A, B & C in the following steps.[/li][ul]
[li]320 x 240 - [B]A[/B]:180 [B]B[/B]:240 [B]C[/B]:70[/li][li]640 x 480 - [B]A[/B]:360 [B]B[/B]:480 [B]C[/B]:140[/li][li]1280 x 720 - [B]A[/B]:428 [B]B[/B]:720 [B]C[/B]:426[/li][/ul]
[li]Click the ‘Filters’ button. Choose ‘Rotate’ from list and click ‘+’ button.[/li][li]Select the angle to rotate it by, i.e. 90 for clockwise, 270 for anti-clockwise and click ‘OK’.[/li][li]Choose ‘Resize’ from list and click ‘+’ button.[/li][li]Enter the value for [B]A[/B] in the width field and the value for [B]B[/B] in the height field, then click ‘OK’.[/li][li]Choose ‘Add Black borders’ from list and click ‘+’ button.[/li][li]Enter the value for [B]C[/B] in the ‘Left border’ and ‘Right border’ fields and click ‘OK’.[/li][li]Use the slider to select the start point of where the video is rotated and press the ‘[’ key on the keyboard.[/li][li]Move the slider to the end of this part where the video returns to upright and press the ‘]’ key.[/li][li]Click the ‘Save’ button and give a name for the output ending in ‘2.avi’, e.g. “Video_part_2.avi”[/li][li]When the encoding completes, repeat the steps 14 to 17, but end the filename in the sequence ‘4.avi’, ‘6.avi’,. etc for step 17.[/li][li]Set both teh Audio & Video drop-down fields to ‘Copy’.[/li][li]Open up the first video part, e.g. “Video_part_1.avi” and let it append the sequence. You can verify by dragging the slider, to make sure the full original clip is present and that everything is upright.[/li][li]Click the ‘Save’ button and give a name for the final clip. [/li][/ol]

If this process works out, you should end up with the entire output clip upright. Note that each section where the original was rotated will end up with black bars to the left & right. This is similar to what happens if you try rotating a digital print and printing it landscape.

Good luck