Rosewill BD-R at Newegg

vbimport

Rosewill 25GB 4X BD-R 50 Packs Spindle Blank Blu-ray Media Silver Surface Model RCDM-10009 - OEM $29.99 and Free shipping with code EMCNBJN96. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182258&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081012&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081012--EMC-081012-Index--CDDVDMedia-_-17182258-L022B Anyone know if these discs are any good?

[QUOTE=Intelanot;2648545]Rosewill 25GB 4X BD-R 50 Packs Spindle Blank Blu-ray Media Silver Surface Model RCDM-10009 - OEM $29.99 and Free shipping with code EMCNBJN96. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182258&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081012&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081012--EMC-081012-Index--CDDVDMedia-_-17182258-L022B Anyone know if these discs are any good?[/QUOTE]

Ran into someone on another forum living in Coasterville with his Rosewills. He contacted Rosewill, they sent him replacements. They assured him that they had changed to a different Chinese manufacturer of PHILIPR04’s that should have a lower defect rate. He remained in Coasterville with the replacements.

That is sad, you’d think most blu ray discs would be ok by now… what recorder/setup?

I wouldn’t doubt that if it’s an old 4-6x recorder there’d be coasters… most makers try to make compatabilty only for drives sold in the last 24 months 4-6x drives were 3+ years old (and quite expensive at the time- including media, lol). My first discs I think were Opitcal Quantums, followed by some rosewills… I think they were philips04’s so they worked ok for me. My LG 10x burner rarely coasters a disc.

Would like to see some GOOD bd-r’s go for 50 cents each (or less) on BF… at those price points, 50 & 100 packs become viable for the mass market. For example… 50 cents for 50 packs… 40 cents for 100 packs. Dvd-r_dl achieved mass market due to the ultra-high prices, but bd-r’s might…

I applaud your optimism in thinking that BD-R’s have gotten better over time. The reality is lamentably quite the opposite.

Early on, BD-R were manufactured with high quality Japanese material on high precision Japanese machinery. And the technology did improve for a short time. Then corporate bean counters took over and it has largely turned into a race to find the cheapest materials manufactured by the cheapest machinery in production locations with the lowest costs.

Any 25GB BD-R selling for less than $1.70/ea. is already a better deal than a good quality 4.7GB DVD-R on a cost per GB basis. I’m delighted to be using good quality BD-R’s well under that cost already :). It costs real money to use high quality materials and high-end machinery together with strict quality control.

Don’t wish too hard that you find those $.50 BD-R’s. They will probably show up, and they will almost certainly be cr@p :wink: .

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2648647]I applaud your optimism in thinking that BD-R’s have gotten better over time. The reality is lamentably quite the opposite.

Early on, BD-R were manufactured with high quality Japanese material on high precision Japanese machinery. And the technology did improve for a short time. Then corporate bean counters took over and it has largely turned into a race to find the cheapest materials manufactured by the cheapest machinery in production locations with the lowest costs.

Any 25GB BD-R selling for less than $1.70/ea. is already a better deal than a good quality 4.7GB DVD-R on a cost per GB basis. I’m delighted to be using good quality BD-R’s well under that cost already :). It costs real money to use high quality materials and high-end machinery together with strict quality control.

Don’t wish too hard that you find those $.50 BD-R’s. They will probably show up, and they will almost certainly be cr@p :wink: .[/QUOTE]

Yo-

Totally agree!!

The Falcon brand seems like a good quality point-eh!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2648665]Yo-

Totally agree!!

The Falcon brand seems like a good quality point-eh![/QUOTE]

When you’ve been at this for a bit, you learn not to give up too much of the bang in your quest for the best bang for your buck, eh Mike? :wink:

Yep, Falcon hits that sweet spot on a regular basis for me :).

Well it’s a shame falcon doesn’t sell more in the USA and give Verbatim a run for their money… The scans I’ve seen of falcon / smart blu trounce the best of Verbatims… according to MYCE forums… Also, Taiyo Yuden quite silent on pushing blu ray media… you’d think by now… 8/2012… the transition would be well underway…

Anywho, one reason for hoping there comes a day when blu ray media gets to pennies instead of dollars, that will push the market value of good stuff down to a more affordable multiple. Afterall, now that Anroid tablet makers are playing hardball, you see the cracks showing on who can sell an Apple product… and for that matter under MSRP to boot…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2648715]Well it’s a shame falcon doesn’t sell more in the USA and give Verbatim a run for their money… The scans I’ve seen of falcon / smart blu trounce the best of Verbatims… according to MYCE forums… Also, Taiyo Yuden quite silent on pushing blu ray media… you’d think by now… 8/2012… the transition would be well underway…

Anywho, one reason for hoping there comes a day when blu ray media gets to pennies instead of dollars, that will push the market value of good stuff down to a more affordable multiple. Afterall, now that Anroid tablet makers are playing hardball, you see the cracks showing on who can sell an Apple product… and for that matter under MSRP to boot…[/QUOTE]
They do and they are :D. At least in the CD/DVD professional market. Their BD sales are not growing at the same pace. I suspect that Verbatim’s move to lower the cost of their BD-R by having them manufactured by CMC in Taiwan is a big factor in that. Falcon is stubbornly refusing to lower their quality, and in some markets are priced higher than the Verbs. That, together with the brand loyalty that Verb enjoys(in spite of quality compromises), makes it more difficult for Falcon to grab market share in the BD arena. I appreciate Falcon’s corporate philosophy of “if they don’t need our level of quality, we don’t need to sell them anything”. A bit elitist, yes. But it works for me :slight_smile: .

Taiyo Yuden has been selling their LTH BD-R for some time now. I suspect that cost issues have stopped them from offering a made in Japan HTL BD-R. They are selling CMC made HTL BD-R under the JVC brand now.

Don’t agree with your hypothesis that cheap BD-R will drive down the price of truly high quality BD-R. Your analogy is fatally flawed. The margins in the optical media business are very slim. Nothing like the profit margins in the electronics sector where there is room for price adjustment due to market pressures. The most likely response to market pressures in the BD-R arena would be the arrival of Verbatim “Life Series” BD-R’s.

Please don’t wish for that :bigsmile:.