Rooted Nexus 7 (2013) and updates

vbimport

Just a quick question. I have a Nexus 7 (2013 edition) that I keep with root access so that I can play videos from an external SD card. Do rooted Android devices usually get updates automatically?

My tablet seemed to ignore the latest OTA update, which is 4.4.3, so I went through the process of downloading the update manually into my computer, then disabled root in the tablet and installed the update.

I then regained root access in the tablet again. Luckily, it is fairly straightforward and I didn’t lose any data in the process while using WUG’s Nexus Root Toolkit. But even with this program holding my hand and leading me step by step through the process, it is still annoying. I can see it being fairly hair-raising and tense for anyone not technically minded.

Anyway, was the problem simply impatience on my part, or do rooted devices have issues in updates?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2729213]Anyway, was the problem simply impatience on my part, or do rooted devices have issues in updates?[/QUOTE]

They have issues…:iagree:
My Samsung Galaxy Note II gives a warning that the device was tampered with and refuses to update,while my Asus Transformer tf 101 only shows ‘no update available’ when checking for updates,no extra info…even if there was an update available.

These are the sort of issues that put me off rooting my Nexus 7 (2013) as I’ve no real need for anything beyond the default capabilities.

That may well change but until it does it suits me to stick with the stock setup.

Got my 4.4.3. OTA update last Thursday BTW.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I rooted my Kindle Fire (2nd gen) last year as I wanted to put on the Google Play store.

About a month later, it received an update. Once it installed, the device lost root access and it also removed the ‘Superuser’ app. Interestingly, the Play store still continued to work fine, including installing new apps. I just re-rooted it again. :wink:

So far it has not received any further updates (update button remains greyed out), but it’s quite possible Amazon has not made any further updates for it.

At this stage, I’m thinking of putting on Cyanogenmod as its OS is a few versions behind now (4.0.3) and one feature I would like is Miracast.

To this point, unless your device’s manufacturer adds something in to deter rooting, things seem to work as Seán mentioned. Of course, if you go poking around modifying things that the update will modify, you’ll find that the update will likely fail, but it’s usually not a pain to have root, get an update, and re-root. Some superuser apps have a feature where, when enabled before taking an OTA nondestructive update, you won’t have to fully re-root the system. That feature doesn’t always work reliably, but it’s there.