Room for improvements (Samsung ODD support)

vbimport

[QUOTE=mciahel;2057197]Thanks for reporting :slight_smile:
Direct link for FF and Opera users: http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=538
Changelog: " Game CD Support" :rolleyes:
Edit: Lead-In issue is still present :a[/QUOTE]

Morons. :a

[QUOTE=mciahel;2057197]Thanks for reporting :slight_smile:
Direct link for FF and Opera users: http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=538
Changelog: " Game CD Support" :rolleyes:
Edit: Lead-In issue is still present :a[/QUOTE]

damn, the dvd-r issue’s still there? That’s retarded. Not to mention the download somehow adds a comma to the end of the filename…

SH-S182D_SB07.exe,

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Darth Boy;2059019]damn, the dvd-r issue’s still there? That’s retarded. [B]Not to mention the download somehow adds a comma to the end of the filename…[/B]

SH-S182D_SB07.exe,

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]yeah i downloaded it twice…then saw the comma :doh:

I guess it was a typo. Some people may not realize to get rid of the comma to have the file.

I have moved these posts from the Firmware Announcement Thread, since these are not announcements.
This topic is worth a discussion, IMO.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2059333]I have moved these posts from the Firmware Announcement Thread, since these are not announcements.
This topic is worth a discussion, IMO.[/QUOTE]Well now that you moved these posts out how will people know about the stupid comma Michael? It’s evidently on more than one firmware file. I used your link.

For every firmware I have downloaded from Samsung’s site since the days of the 182D/M, I have had to re-realize that there are commas at the ends of the file names. Usually, it takes me a number of times to realize this. I really wish that, whatever causes this, is fixed, because it really is easy to miss.

I’m not even going to touch the inability to use Samsung’s site without a browser running an IE-based engine.

Hi,[quote=Bob;2059362]Well now that you moved these posts out how will people know about the stupid comma Michael?[/quote]Well, they will find it here;)

It’s evidently on more than one firmware file. I used your link.
Indeed, I am not aware of a firmware I got from Samsung website, I had not to rename. Also some documents (like the Sata compatibility list) are broken.
Maybe all does fine with a korean MSIE 5.0 Browser on Windows 98 :confused:
What Browser did you use to download the firmware?

Let’s hope, their firmware hackers are better than their “webmaster” :rolleyes:

Dont you find it interesting that Samsung is releasing frequent FW updates for a 2 years old drive, but fails to do so for the recent ones (SH-S20x series) ?

Hmmm. I don’t have any problem downloading files from the Samsung site. No sign of an added comma for me. Clicking on the EXE file, on the page linked in the first post, works fine. :confused:

Getting back to the first post. I can’t understand why the fix for the DVD-R leadin never continued past the special versions that [B]jan70[/B] managed to get. Very odd really that they would contine to supply firmware for a drive that has an obvious fault, using one media type.

I also think Samsungs support for the 20x PATA drives is very poor as well. No releases for these drives since 2007. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2059521]Hmmm. I don’t have any problem downloading files from the Samsung site. No sign of an added comma for me. Clicking on the EXE file, on the page linked in the first post, works fine. :confused:
[/QUOTE]
Same here, never had any problems when downloading Samsung firmwares.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2059459]Hi,Well, they will find it here;) Indeed, I am not aware of a firmware I got from Samsung website, I had not to rename. Also some documents (like the Sata compatibility list) are broken.
Maybe all does fine with a korean MSIE 5.0 Browser on Windows 98 :confused:
What Browser did you use to download the firmware?

Let’s hope, their firmware hackers are better than their “webmaster” :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]Both FF 2.0.0.14 and IE 7.

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2059521]Hmmm. I don’t have any problem downloading files from the Samsung site. No sign of an added comma for me. Clicking on the EXE file, on the page linked in the first post, works fine. :confused:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ala42;2059540]Same here, never had any problems when downloading Samsung firmwares.[/QUOTE]

We’re just lucky i guess :bigsmile: :doh: :confused:

SB04 for the Sammy 203B is the only one i have had this happen with so far. Could just be 2 flukes i had?

I think I’ve used IE6 and IE7 for the downloads…and, when I could, FireFox 2 [haven’t really downloaded a firmware with FF3].

Used IE7, no commas.

The comma thing happened to me a while ago too, don’t remember which browser. Most of the time I can’t even click the download links on their site and have to find an IE PC to download anything (Windows components is the first thing I uninstall, after setting up XP).

Would imagine people knowing about burner firmware also know what a Windows executable file should look like though.

I got the comma on FF 2.0.0.14 and Vista Ultimate (no-SP1)

[quote=C0deKing;2059521]
Getting back to the first post. I can’t understand why the fix for the DVD-R leadin never continued past the special versions that [B]jan70[/B] managed to get.[/quote]Apart from TS-H652D/M KC03, which has the Lead-In fix. Seems as if Samsung loves their OEM customers more than their retail buyers. :rolleyes:

Michael

Ouch, this hurts :rolleyes:
I just downloaded SH-S203B SB04 firmware from Samsung website:
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=539
Apart from having the comma in the filename, the archive contains 182D SB07 firmware :eek:
Anyone to confirm this?

EDIT: Download from Korea is fine:
http://www.samsungodd.com/kor/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=601

Michael

No comma in the file name as usual, but I can confirm that the SH-S203B_SB04.exe file differs from the one I downloaded some days before and now contains a SH-S182D_SB07.BIN firmware.

[quote=ala42;2062125]No comma in the file name as usual, but I can confirm that the SH-S203B_SB04.exe file differs from the one I downloaded some days before and now contains a SH-S182D_SB07.BIN firmware.[/quote]Thanks :slight_smile:
The Samsung guys must be on drugs :frowning:

Filename using Firefox 2.0.14: "SH-S203B_SB04.exe,"
Filename using Opera 9.27: "200805151151065131_SH-S203B_SB04.exe"
Filename Korea version using Opera 9.27: "200805151150044901_SH-S203B_SB04.exe"
MSIE isn’t allowed to access internet apart from Windows Update here :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2062131]Thanks :slight_smile:
The Samsung guys must be on drugs :frowning:
Michael[/QUOTE]:bigsmile: they might be…I just now double checked to make sure the SB00 i downloaded for my S223F was the correct one before i patch it and flash my new drive :doh: :bigsmile:

ala42 do you need any testing done for this drive?