SecuROM has a few backup methods, I am not sure if they are all needed for early versions but they still work for early versions. The options are very different so I will split them up.
Option 1: Plextor Premium
Best option, resulting in a near perfect copy.
If you own a Plextor Premium, just download and apply my BlindWrite 5 Profiles Pack. Then select the "SecuRom 4.x/5.x for Plextor Premium" profile to read and write. All the backups I have made this way have worked great in all my drives.
Option 2: TwinPeak
Good option, but doesn't work in all drives.
1. In CloneCD make a image on the "Game CD" profile. Read speed doesn't matter
2. Download a BWA file from your game from Portmac's Site, or any BWA site, or make your own with BlindWrite's BWA Maker.
3. In TwinPeak click "Select CCD Image". Open the CCD image for your game.
Then click "Select BWA File", open your downloaded BWA file. Then click "Start". follow its on-screen instructions, then wait for it to complete.
4. Once you have the "pached.ccd/patched.img" files you need to burn them, use CloneCD on the "Game CD" profile at 4 speed.
Option 3: RMPS Emulation
Poor option, it works, but needs alot of emulation, only use if all other methods have failed.
1. Open the "image making wizard" in Alcohol 120%, select the "SecuRom *new (4.x/5.x) profile. Set read speed to 8x. Then when a "Data Position Meaurement" window comes up set the speed to 1x.
2. Burn the image on the "SecuRom *new (4.x/5.x)" profile at 8x.
3. Go to the "Emulation" tab in Alcohol, then make sure the "RMPS" box is checked, if it isn't the copy wont run. You will also need to have a ATIP hider running.