Rockbox v3.1 Released (Free Open-Source Firmware for Digital Audio Players)

vbimport

Rockbox is an open source firmware for mp3 players, written from scratch. It runs on a wide range of players:

• Apple: 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano
    (not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd/4th gen Nano, Classic or Touch)
  • Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
  • Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, M5L, M3 and M3L
  • iriver: H100, H300 and H10 series
  • Olympus: M:Robe 100
  • SanDisk: Sansa c200, e200 and e200R series (not the v2 models)
  • Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (not the S series)

What’s new?

Some new things since version 3.0:

• A bitmap scaler was added to Rockbox, which means that album art no longer has to be pre-scaled to the correct dimensions on your computer. See AlbumArt for more information.
  • The calendar plugin which has existed for the Archos units for a long time is now available on all devices equipped with a clock.
  • The spacerocks plugin which was removed from version 3.0 due to a major bug has been brought back.
    * Optimised MP3 decoder on dual-core targets, giving several more hours of battery life in most situations.
  • Optimizations for AAC and APE decoding
  • Backlight fading is now available on most targets.
  • When recording in mono, you can now chose between recording the left or right channel, or a mix of both.
  • It is now possible to configure which items are shown in the Quick Screen.
  • Several new features were added to the WPS syntax
  • The build system received a major overhaul. This only matters for people who compile their own builds.
  • See the MajorChanges page for an exhaustive list.

the one i highlighted in bold above applies to people who have the Sandisk Sansa e200 series of players (i think there are others but i know that applies to the e200 series)

download here… http://www.rockbox.org/download/ (if your having issues downloading (which i am at the time i write this) i would give it a few hours as it might take a while before the servers get the files etc)

the last stable release (i.e. v3.0) was 3months ago.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ReleaseNotes31 … that shows more detailed info for those who care to read into it.