Rockbox is an open source firmware for mp3 players, written from scratch. It runs on a wide range of players:
- Apple: 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano
(not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd/4th gen Nano, Classic or Touch)
- Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
- Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, M5L, M3 and M3L
- iriver: H100, H300 and H10 series
- Olympus: M:Robe 100
- SanDisk: Sansa c200, e200 and e200R series (not the v2 models)
- Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (not the S series)
Some new things since version 3.0:
- A bitmap scaler was added to Rockbox, which means that album art no longer has to be pre-scaled to the correct dimensions on your computer. See AlbumArt for more information.
- The calendar plugin which has existed for the Archos units for a long time is now available on all devices equipped with a clock.
- The spacerocks plugin which was removed from version 3.0 due to a major bug has been brought back.
* Optimised MP3 decoder on dual-core targets, giving several more hours of battery life in most situations.
- Optimizations for AAC and APE decoding
- Backlight fading is now available on most targets.
- When recording in mono, you can now chose between recording the left or right channel, or a mix of both.
- It is now possible to configure which items are shown in the Quick Screen.
- Several new features were added to the WPS syntax
- The build system received a major overhaul. This only matters for people who compile their own builds.
- See the MajorChanges page for an exhaustive list.
the one i highlighted in bold above applies to people who have the Sandisk Sansa e200 series of players (i think there are others but i know that applies to the e200 series)
download here... http://www.rockbox.org/download/ (if your having issues downloading (which i am at the time i write this) i would give it a few hours as it might take a while before the servers get the files etc)
the last stable release (i.e. v3.0) was 3months ago.
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ReleaseNotes31 ... that shows more detailed info for those who care to read into it.