Robin Williams dead; family, friends and fans are 'totally devastated'

vbimport

(CNN) – Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams apparently took his own life at his Northern California home Monday, law enforcement officials said. Williams was 63.

“He has been battling severe depression of late,” his media representative Mara Buxbaum told CNN. “This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbiz/robin-williams-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

:cool::cool:

yeah bad news for sure He was one of the best started out as Mort and Mindy tv series,we will miss him.

I agree he will be missed.He has brought a lot of laughter in our lives.

Very sad indeed. :frowning:

Antidepressant drugs mess with your brain chemistry though and can cause suicidal thoughts so given what we’ve heard so far I wouldn’t be surprised if they were implicated.

A friend of mine was on a very low dose of a popular antidepressant for a non-depression related medical problem a few years ago and ended up hanging himself. Very great tragedy indeed.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I put these in the catbox but I think I will put them here also as they sum up my comment.
Too bad about Robin . Some of the medication they give for depression can be worse that none at all or so I’ve read.
Prozac or zoloft for example . Sometimes people taking those kill their family & then commit suicide.
I’ve actually know two people that committed suicide . One was a lot older than me a relative by marriage. The other a close friend I know he wasn’t on any anti-depressants.
Like with Robin . I would never have guessed that this man would commit suicide . Seemed to be happy enough. His main problem was after they took Avandia off the market (He had none of the problems it caused for some). The replacement medicine didn’t manage his diabetes nearly as well.
I think Robin’s best movie & performance was The Fisher King. That’s the movie he should have gotten an Oscar for.
I will just try to remember all the laughs I’ve had watching Robin .

Sorry I don’t have a favorite movie of Robin Williams ,I loved them all.He ‘s a great standup comic and great actor,made a lot of people smile.He’s been fighting depression for many many years and some drugs they are givin’ have a worse side affects than the problem in it’s self.

8/12/2014 RIP

Most are going to do what I did & post a favorite movie of Robin’s.
Like Doug I enjoyed most of Robin’s movies.
So I’m going to do something I think he would appreciate .
I considered this one a “Stinker” maybe it went over my head but I just didn’t like it.
“being Human” .

I just read that he had severe financial trouble that got worse when his TV show was recently canceled. His state of depression supposedly accelerated at this point. He was depressed that at age 63 he was having to take on roles in TV shows and movies that he considered beneath him. Keep in mind that he was trying to sell a $35 million ranch he owned in California. I guess what is considered “money trouble” is all relative.

Tis sad indeed but my favorite movie he ever made was " Good Will Hunting". if some of you have never seen it, please give it a shot, its well worth the time.

Man this is a sad day I loved his movies and I watched him from when he first started in Mork and Mindy…that was something else…and watched his movies that he started and played in. He gave me lots of laughs and serious moments. Like anything someone with great character has many flaws that remain hidden even from those outside to know. But he will be Greatly missed by me and all those that watched and own his movies. Now as to the medical condition that is something a flaw everyone has some greater to the extend then others but he overcame it with flaws to make all of us laugh and remain on the lighter side of life itself and that is something that will be sorely missed in the movies now-days to remind us of life and how short it can be even for the best of us.

Robin actually appeared as Mork on “Happy Days” .
I think this was his first TV series role.