RitekR03 write speed lowered to 4X with fw 0658?

It seems that the new 0658 firmware for BTC 1008IM has lowered the available write speed of RitekR03 DVD+R down to 4X. :a
This thread reports that 8X used to be available for this media in a previous firmware.

** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : DVDRW IDE1008 [FW 0658]
** INFO : [DVD+R:RITEK-R03-001]
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 5540 KBPS (4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 2770 KBPS (2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
Descriptor #1 = 5540 KBPS (4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 2770 KBPS (2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

In the 658 firmware, RITEKR03 rev. 01h is at 4x. Rev. 02h is at 8x. As I understand it, Ritek has been selling the old rev. 01h as 4x media. Perhaps this has something to do with R03-01 being set at 4x?

You can always hack it up to 8x… :wink:

Looks like you couldn’t wait to post your BTC Speed Hacker teaser pic? hehe :wink:
That’s right folks! Speedhacker tool for BTC firmwares coming soon!
I do have Ritek R03 revision 01, and it was packaged and sold as Ridata 8X certified media.

wow, looks like a great tool.

@code

i´m really happy to see that someone do such a great work also for btc users :bow:
when will you give us this tool?

That 4x media was packaged and sold as 8x media by whom? Was it marketed as 8x by a store (I can guess who would be likely to do do that) or by Ritek?
d.

It was packaged and sealed by Ritek under the “Ridata” brand as 8X certified media.
It burns very well at 8X on my NEC 2500A. (with hacked fw)

Here in Norway there is Arita 4x… Which actually is ritek R03 revision 02h :wink:

wesociety,

Have you tried burning the RitekR03 with firmware v0758, and if so, with or without the BTC Speed Hacker?

Not yet…
But according to the BTC fw changelog, 0758 does not improve any write strategies. It just adds support for more media. So I’m not expecting any improvements.

I just ordered Ritek/Ridata brand from Amazon both 8x and 4x

8x I got R03-001 Revision 001
and 4x is R03-002 Revision 002

This is pretty wried isn’t it mean R03 is not qualified for 8x then Retik make new revision and down to 4x :frowning:

LOL, what irony! I have no idea what’s going on with all these revisions… all I know is that Ritek is having problems with its discs, and its R03 +Rs, G05s, and more recent batches of its G04s aren’t exactly doing too great in the quality and consistency dept.