RitekG04 still crap media

vbimport

Let this be a warning for anyone who has some stuff on RITEKG04.
I’m checking up some of my old stuff and it seems that the pieces that were still ok of my RITEKG04’s have become now problematic as well.
Luckilly I backed these up earlier on MCC disc’s which are still perfect fine.
But let me suggest to anyone who has still some data on G03,G04,G05 that you might have to back these disc’s up sooner or later because the media will go bad.

Some of the old G04 I burned is holding up well, but I won’t take a chance on any of my old G05 burns. All of that has been updated to MCC 004 or TY T02.

Out of about 300 G04 discs, I only have 6 that haven’t significantly degraded after 3 years of checks.

I don’t believe in such a thing as “stable” G04 anymore, I think all G04 discs will start degrading fast after an initial period of apparent stability. The stable G04 disc will be a rare curiosity, eventually, in less than a couple of years.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on the cases), these discs can still be read even when the scans show totally insane PIE/PIF levels. Not for long, though…

My experiences are similar. What I find interesting is how some G04/5s of a particular batch seem to last a lot longer than the others. I still had a few G04/5s which scanned well about 2-3 years after burning, but 95% of the discs had been thrown out because they were almost unreadable.

[QUOTE=Architectonic;2100615]What I find interesting is how some G04/5s of a particular batch seem to last a lot longer than the others.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I never did hear any reports of Office Depot brand G04s or G05s degrading. The ones I bought never had any degrading problems either (not that I ever trusted them). Strange…

[QUOTE=negritude;2100621]Yeah, I never did hear any reports of Office Depot brand G04s or G05s degrading. The ones I bought never had any degrading problems either (not that I ever trusted them). Strange…[/QUOTE]

That doens’t say a thing. Based on the current information I will say there is no stable G04/G05. Just that some disc’s are faster degrading then others.

The G04’s that held up for me were some Newegg branded freebies.

my g04’s still playback fine, but I think i got out of the g04 came fairly early… I think I got one bad spindle… and that was it, i shelled out extra for TY’s.

however that being said my g04’s i did use (which i believe was before g04 production quality decreased, seem to playback ok, and i’ve scanned a few and gotten scores around 94.

I always got the feeling g04’s started out good, then they change the production method and then they weren’t so good.