Ritek worked but no longer

vbimport

Okay here is an interesting problem.

I have read so much on these forums regarding Ritek discs not working but never payed too much attention because they were burning great on my machine.

Now today i received my second burner and just for giggles i installed it into the machine i was using. I took out my original burner and put it into my new secondary machine that i also got up and running today.

Now the orignal burner isn’t burning ritek in the secondary machine but the new burner is in my original machine…

the original machine is Amd based, via chipset,burner set as secondary master …with the latest version of the aspi software installed, the new secondary machine is intel based,latest aspi installed,burner set as secondary master,but as i say it no longer burns ritek…i know this has been discussed to death but anyone got any ideas?

The burners both burn ritek but only in one machine…weird.

cheers

What does “no longer burns” mean?
Have you tried any other media in the second machine?

Sorry, i never made that very clear in my post.

It no longer burns to any Ritek media. It starts as it should, then just stops,I haven’t tried any other media because i only have Ritekat the moment.
This drive was burning Ritek succesfully when it was fittted in the original machine so i’m thinking that it can’t be the drive.

Interestingly enough, when i did my test burn on this second machine, the drive did actually burn a backup onto a Ritek disc…but it was just so damn slow…then i realised that i hadn’t set the secondary IDE controller to DMA (it was still set at PIO) and since then it has stopped burning after about 1 minute.

I’m going to remove the samsung DVD Rom today and just run with NEC drive and see what happens. If that has no effect then i’ll put it on the primary channel with the hard disk…then after that?

cheers

Okay, i’ve tried the writer on the primary channel as the slave to the hard drive and also with the writer as master and it still doesn’t burn to the ritek disks.

So out of curiousity i put it back onto the secondary channel as master with no slave and changed the transfer mode on the secondary channel from DMA back to PIO and guess what? It burns…okay incredibly slowly…like 30 minutes on x4 media…so my question is why doesn’t this burn to Ritek when the DMA mode is enabled on this machine?

Cheers

Originally posted by ripley
[B]Okay, i’ve tried the writer on the primary channel as the slave to the hard drive and also with the writer as master and it still doesn’t burn to the ritek disks.

So out of curiousity i put it back onto the secondary channel as master with no slave and changed the transfer mode on the secondary channel from DMA back to PIO and guess what? It burns…okay incredibly slowly…like 30 minutes on x4 media…so my question is why doesn’t this burn to Ritek when the DMA mode is enabled on this machine?

Cheers [/B]

Remove the Intel Application Accelerator drivers.

hmm. intel app. accelerator.

interesting idea.

ripley i think a lot of people are now awaiting your results as u seem to be localizing the problem with the riteks now. from what u say, we can say the issue is not the nec2500 firmware. not many people have 2 nec2500s and/or have been able to reproduce the problem that u (just like a lot of us) get.

myself, im using an intel system, nec2500 and cant burn ritek disks properly (burns ok to about 3.5gb, then the disk is burnt badly; burns cheap disks great, but riteks burn badly).

hi sunama,

I’m still not getting this to work.So far i’ve changed IDE cables, i’ve swapped master with slave and tried swapping between primary and secondary,i’ve even changed PSUs.

I’m new to intel machines but i don’t seem to have that accelerator installed anywhere that i can see.

The IDE controller driver on this machine lists it as being SIS and is provided by microsoft, the file version 5.00.2195.6699

I’ve now got the NEC on the primary channel as master with my Samsung DVD Rom as slave, the hard disk is secondary master. Each time is unistall the IDE controller driver and restart, both DVD drives default back to PIO with auto detect enabled.So i enable DMA mode and after restarting it lists them both as UDMA mode.

I purchased a verbatim dvd+rw yesterday, since i got fed up wasting disks and using elby’s clone dvd i burned a backup succesfully,when the programme finished i inserted a Ritek and as usual it started the burn process then about 30 seconds into it stopped.

I then took the drive out of the intel machine and put it into the AMD setup and it burned the Ritek quite happily.

Thats where i’m up to at the moment.So in summary,both drives are manufactured in January 2004 and the firmware is listed as 1.06,both burn Ritek on the AMD system.Both fail to burn Ritek on the Intel system unless the IDE channel is set to PIO.

Cheers

an interesting update. I just put my old Pionner A05 into the intel machine and it also stops while writing the read in.

So it looks like there’s something wrong with the intel setup.

anyone any further ideas?

Cheers.

have u tried doing a search for a program called “intel application accelerator”?

also, if u have an intel chipset, i dont quite see why the ide drivers used would be SIS. it should be intel throughout. this doesnt make sense. the only things u should be seeing (relating to ide) is Microsoft and Intel. SIS shouldnt be in there, unless your board does have something in it that is made by SIS.

im at a complete loss myself as to what the problem could be here. personally, ive switched to using the cheaper dvd-r disks as these work fine for me. +rw disks also work well for me. i shall give +r disks a go, soon.

if the problem is limited to intel, then perhaps nec wont be releasing a firmware update to sort out the problem relating to ritek disks.

keep trying man, u r the only one so far who has been able to duplicate the problem (and fix it) at will.

Originally posted by ripley
[B]an interesting update. I just put my old Pionner A05 into the intel machine and it also stops while writing the read in.

So it looks like there’s something wrong with the intel setup.

anyone any further ideas?

Cheers. [/B]

I’m pretty sure that the IDE controller driver is the problem.

I have had similar results and have spent 20 hours trying to undrstand whats happening.

I use a program called DVDXcopy and have been for months. No issues wit three other brands of dvd burners, sony, hlds, hp etc.

Use cheap ritek and princo DVD-r’s and not any real issues.

Like to use 2 dvd bruners, one to rip and when the rip is done the other is loaded with the dvd-r and DVDXcopy lets you start the burn automatically…neat, dont hae to be there to feed dvd in.

Well the NEC was purchased because its fast brun times…

I could not get the NEC to burn with dvdxcopy in this manner, but could burn with Nero and Roxio with the cheaper DVD-r’s .

Thought it was DVDXcopy, but i found if i changed the burn media in the NEC 2500A to a DVD+RW (HP brand), the burn kicked off automatically with no problems!!!

SO!!!

Its the NEC drive that seems the issue, NOT the IDE controller etc. I used both INTEL, NVIDIA and native windows IDE drivers…not a problem.

Seems like this drive has a probleml burning to dvd-r’s ritek and princo for me.

Neat to have a fast burner but have to buy the more expensive media!

Need NEC to fix firmwarwe!

Alex

I would like to point out

DVD X Copy appears to use Paffin-couthard drivers
(did i spell that right??)
not ASPI to communicate with dvd-writers/dvd-roms.

These work in a vastly different way to the normal
drivers and are almost impossable to uninstall.

dvd x copy when installed on my PC stopped my
writing to dvdr on my NEC 2500a the moment they
were installed. Uninstalled dvdXcopy still no luck,
Formatted Hard drive, reinstalled windoze.

and everything works as it should do again.

I can write to the next 2500a with Roxio, Nero etc and with dvdxcopy 1.4.1 with dvd+rw media, just not with the dvd-r media.

dvdxcopy has worked very well for me. three other drives work well, the nec does not, why?? Whats the nec want that the other three dont???

its NOT Dvdxcopy, me thinks, but working in a professional software testing role for years also tells me it could be…we willnot know until we know (root caused).

if there is another combination that works a elegantly as dvdxcopy that would allow me to use my el cheopo dvd-r’s to make a backup up of my purchased dvd in the original level of quality, even if its 2 discs, thats what I am looking for…if the nec 2500 issue gets addressed/fixed thats great.

Looks like dvdshink and nero will do what i want or dvddecrypter and nero pr cclone2dvd ( s dvdxcopy express looka like).

A.

ive never used dvdxcopy and my nec2500 (and intel system) cant burn to riteks.

i can successfully burn to cheap datawrite redtop v2 media with no problems at all @ 4x.

im using nero 6.3.0.2.

UPDATE:

I tired several DVD programs, and found some work and some dont with dvd–r, from the same batch.

CloneDVD would not burn to a dvd-r i the nec 2500a, but
DVDFab did, tried w different brands…

DVDXcopy will not burn to DVD-r (v 1.4.1). But +r’s and DVD+RW’s do.

Tried all the IDE drivers, both windows generic and old Nvidia and new nvidia (nforce 2 chipset)…no problems i this area, stuck to latest Nforce2 unified drivers. work well, vastly improved over original.

Look like there may be more than one reason or fixes to burning with nec 2500A and dvd-r el cheopos.

Hope NEC come out with a firmware that will fix this.

I do realize after working professionally in the software test pc business that you can fix things in more than one place!! I think the fix should be on th eNEC firmware side…broader comon denominator…but we shall see…if the software developers of the programs wont, or cant fix then is hunt and seek for hardware solutions that do what we want them too…

Aint technology great!

A.

1)Check your media. Crappy batch discs can work on and off. Insert the first time work, second times does not. 2)Check your ASPI layer. Although, not all programs use ASPI to burn media, most of them do. Some programs can burn some can’t sound like ASPI compatibility to me.

If i remember it correctly, CloneDVD use his own ASPI. I don’t use it extensively so i can’t tell you where to look.