Ritek RITEKBR2 BD-R degrading quickly

vbimport

So, inspired by pepst’s PHILIPR04 thread I scanned a few ~2.5 year old Memorex BD-R (RITEKBR2) discs and discovered they’re not aging nicely. When these discs were bought in Jan-Feb 2011 I was under the impression that the bad RITEK BD-R discs had already filtered through the supply chain.

8x burn (likely BDR-206):

6x burn (likely BDR-206):

Another 6x burn (likely BDR-206):

Another 8x burn (likely BDR-206):

Thanks for letting us know Stereodude. It reinforces my intention to stay clear of anything Ritek.

Last night I found another one of the discs (scan not yet posted) has a read error (unrecoverable sector). I’ve tried copying it in a few drives so far without success. Go Ritek!

I’m assuming this is the related thread from 3 or 4 years ago on Ritek BD-R (including RITEK BR2) that made Stereodude hesitant to buy them at all: http://club.myce.com/f33/my-ritek-2x-bd-rs-all-dead-306492/

I’m not sure I had seen that thread before buying them, but I was aware of the Ritek BD-R degradation issue. I don’t recall where, but I remember reading reports that Ritek shut down their BD-R production from some time while they reportedly sorted out the issue and then resumed production with discs that were fixed. That lulled me into buying some. :o

I should probably clarify why I haven’t definitively identified the burns as being from a Pioneer BDR-206 (not a BDR-206D)… In early 2011 I was not writing the drive used to burn a disc on the disc. I was just writing the burn speed. However, at the time I only had one Blu-Ray drive, the BDR-206, since I didn’t get my Lite-on iHBS112 until many months later. So they are very, very, very likely burned in a BDR-206, I just can’t establish it definitively.

FWIW, now I write the date (month & year), burn speed, and drive model on discs after burning. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2704838]Last night I found another one of the discs (scan not yet posted) has a read error (unrecoverable sector). I’ve tried copying it in a few drives so far without success. Go Ritek![/QUOTE]Here are the scans of this disc. FWIW, I was able to successfully make an image from it with my SH-B123L only 1 retry.

Awful :Z

That´s why I still don´t like Ritek BD-R, even with the good results (if scan directly after burning em) of my Platinum BD-R 25GB 4x Printable

To bad that my last bought Platinum BD-R 25GB non-printable also have BR2, the cakebox is identical to my older ones with CMC BA5

My RITEKBR3 show my worst results of all media I ever had directly after burning, I will use only for not important data und check them from time to time

That´s shitty, my Ritek CD-media is fine after 13 years, 10 years old media still have class 2-3 in Advanced-test with CDSpeed

And even the “hate-media” G5 is fine after 9 years

I’m in the process of TRT’ing them all to find the worst ones and reburn them to better blanks. I’m using 2x Panasonic MEI-T01 (001) discs. Once I’ve finished my first pass with the TRT failures I will do a 2nd pass and get the remaining ones. My seat of pants guess is that so far ~20% of them have slowdowns in the TRT. Some of them won’t spin up in the BDR-207M and run full speed. A smaller number won’t spin up in the BDR-206 either. In those case the TRT proceeds at 2x and I don’t bother waiting 45 minutes. It’s faster to just make an image and go to the next disc.

To date I have had only one disc with read errors during the TRT tests, but I was able to get a clean image from that disc with the SH-B123L.

Wrong*

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2704895]Awful :Z

That´s why I still don´t like Ritek BD-R, even with the good results (if scan directly after burning em) of my Platinum BD-R 25GB 4x Printable

To bad that my last bought Platinum BD-R 25GB non-printable also have BR2, the cakebox is identical to my older ones with CMC BA5

My RITEKBR3 show my worst results of all media I ever had directly after burning, I will use only for not important data und check them from time to time

That´s shitty, my Ritek CD-media is fine after 13 years, 10 years old media still have class 2-3 in Advanced-test with CDSpeed

And even the “hate-media” G5 is fine after 9 years[/QUOTE]

I’ve had quite good (scan) results of Ritek BR3 discs right after burn. Does someone have scans of old BR3-discs, do they suffer the same deterioration that some BR2 discs do…

Well, my 4x printable RITEKBR2 have big quality-differences, from bad (maxell) to almost very good (Platinum)

My BR3 are Platinum and have only bad results. Which label is your BR3?

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2705219]Well, my 4x printable RITEKBR2 have big quality-differences, from bad (maxell) to almost very good (Platinum)

My BR3 are Platinum and have only bad results. Which label is your BR3?[/QUOTE]

Platinum. Scans are in the Blank media -section. Maybe I just had a good batch.

I do have a spindle of the TDK-labeled BR3’s but I haven’t used them yet.

My Platinum 6x are bad, my 4x printable very good. Maxells BR2 also bad, i posted some scans

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2705604]My Platinum 6x are bad, my 4x printable very good. Maxells BR2 also bad, [/QUOTE]

So are mine. :iagree:

I will be more careful next time I´m buying media.

My 4x Platinum in 10pcs-cakeboxes were CMC MAK BA5. Last time I bought it I was also careful because newer Platinum are RITEK. The paper on top of cakebox said 4x , and what should I say. I open the cakebox, but there were no 4x, inside are 6x with RITEKBR3 :Z

Here is a 2+ year old BR2. Just scanned a few hours ago. What you talkin bout Wills?

LG WH12LS30 1.00, 22818(MB) @4x

[B]Sold As[/B]: Ridata White inkjet printable 4x BD-R 25pk wide sputtered
[B]Made In[/B]: Taiwan
[B]MID:[/B] RITEK-BR2 (000)