Ritek R02 media, burned with ND1300a

vbimport

I bought a bunch of Ritek R02 media (4x +R) from the CDFreaks webshop. So far so good. The discs burn fine in my ND1300a, either on 2.4 or 4 speed.

If I try to read a fully written disc (4.37Gb), my Toshiba SD-M1712 fails to read it from 99%. The other 98% are read just fine (fast and good). I’ve tested a couple of programs (DVDDecrypter, DVDInfoPro etc) and they all give the same error.
However, when readig a disc that hasn’t been filled completely (only 4.2Gb for example), my Tosh works fine.
The strangest thing is even that my 1300a reads all the discs just fine, without any reduction of speed or whatsoever.

Can anybody with the same hardware confirm this error? Or tell me that he/she doesn’t have that problem?

What firmware I am using? My 1300a runs on firmware 1.08 by Herrie, my Tosh runs on j004 (with riplimit removed)…

If you look closely at the media, you may detect small irregularities near the outer edge. You are experiencing typical cheap media behaviour, the only solution is to limit your burns to around 4000MB, depending on where the problems are, and not burn near the edge.

Agreed. The drive that burnt the disc is usually much more tolerant of errors then a DVD-ROM or set top player which would explain why the NEC can read it.

Do some speed tests with DVDInfoPro and you should see a pronounced drop near the end.

If you look closely at the media, you may detect small irregularities near the outer edge

I already noticed these, but as there are some more media I have that have the same irregulareties but still read very well, I didn’t think them to be the cause.

You are experiencing typical cheap media behaviour

Yeah I know… I just figured that after a few good stories I heard from people that bought these discs and some very good scan results on R02 I found on the board, this was a safe choice. I guess that Ritek still hasn’t learned and that the quality is still batch-dependant… and that sucks :frowning:

the only solution is to limit your burns to around 4000MB

Nah… I just contacted the webshop and I just hope they take them all back. I don’t want half solutions…

The drive that burnt the disc is usually much more tolerant of errors then a DVD-ROM or set top player which would explain why the NEC can read it

Normally I would agree on that, but as the NEC is such a crappy reader, I never thought that this would be the case. I still doubt it, although there might be quite some truth in what you’re telling me.

Another little update: I just tested these media at a 2500a and they even don’t work in there. At 93% of the disc, the burner give a write error and that’s it.

Suxorz…

I’ve been seeing horrorible scans with Ritek/Ricoh media lately.
They must have started allowing people to drink on the job at the plant lately or something :frowning:

Originally posted by Ssseth
They must have started allowing people to drink on the job at the plant lately or something :frowning:

We’ve been seeing those kind of scans since we started scanning, nothing new. Maybe they [b]should[/b] let them start drinking at the plant?

Really? For a couple months I didn’t see more then one or two bad scans on Ritek/Ricoh media. Then all of a sudden (about 2-3 weeks now) I’ve seen a HUGE increase in problems/errors.

Really? For a couple months I didn’t see more then one or two bad scans on Ritek/Ricoh media. Then all of a sudden (about 2-3 weeks now) I’ve seen a HUGE increase in problems/errors.

Yes, I had some Ritek DVD media before and they were quite good…

My Ritek DVD-R G04’s burn quite nicely. But they were bought about 2 months ago. Well before I started seeing all these bad scans lately.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

If you look closely at the media, you may detect small irregularities near the outer edge.

Nothing like that in my case.

HoRRible ? Someting like this one ( I suppose ) ?

Call me a n00b unless it’s a Kprobe scan. I suppose I should look into other scanning methods shouldn’t I? :smiley:

But I’m guessing that Read Errors message isn’t a good thing :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes, I mean something like this. :sad:

But I’m guessing that Read Errors message isn’t a good thing :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see why ?
Your comment sounds like a slap in the face to the author of DVDInfoPro.

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]Nothing like that in my case.

HoRRible ? Someting like this one ( I suppose ) ?

[/B]

Bo,

That test really doesn’t tell us much. You did a read check on 3.53gb burn on your writer. You aren’t even testing on the outer edge. I’ve got some 25 cent PIO media that look that good. But watch it croak on when it hits 3.6gb+.

Test a full 4.38gb burn on a different dvd drive (not burner) for a “little” more of a true representation of the media.

Originally posted by Hawseman

But watch it croak on when it hits 3.6gb+.

I thought as much.

In order for an error to be reported in DVDInfo, the drive has to fail to read a sector. This would mean that the disc exceeds the drive’s ability to correct the errors. If the reading drive conforms to the DVD specs, that would mean 280 PI per 8ECC, or 8 PO per 1ECC at 1x read speed. I presume that DVDINfo still has no speed settings for the testing drive, so it will be reading at max speed, and also allowing the drive to slow and re-read errors.

There’s really no sensible comparison that can be made between that and KProbe. Apples and oranges.

Can’t comment much about that test, Bo. Looks good.

I tend to like Nero CDSpeed better than DVDInfo for burn testing. It’s a little more informative on how hard the drive works to overcome media issues. Purely my preference, not to take away from DVDInfo…it’s a very good utility.

Kprobe helps me to separate the A from the A+.

Arggg this is kind of pissing me off… I just made another burn with another 1300a (latest firmware) and again, the same problem: DVDInfo shows red blocks (no I can’t test with KProbe as I don’t have a LiteOn DVDR). They tell me that my reader is not compatible with these media, although I clearly see the irregularities on the written surface. It’s quite clear to me that the quality of the discs is not as good as they state it is… grrr

Friday my 2500a will arrive (if everything turns out ok), I hope that that helps… otherwhise I have to send them back (will cost me quite some money :()…

I got my 2500a yesterday and my Ritek discs work like a charm. Sadly enough, I cannot test them with a LiteOn DVDR drive for good readings, but scanning them on a LTD-166s showed me that the quality of/on the disc is pretty constant, while it’s readability is just good.

I’m glad it works :slight_smile:

my Ritek discs work like a charm

Most everything will in the 2500, enjoy. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Most everything will in the 2500, enjoy. :slight_smile:

I know… I didn’t expect anything less!